Airfix Hurricane

As Sunday was a bit of a wash out meaning that most of my current builds were on hold as I needed to get into the garage to paint, I decided to have a look in the stash and see what I had.

Having done a few GBs now I thought I would have a go at the 1/72nd Airfix Hurricane Mk1, underneath it was a set of WWII RAF figures so I brought them into the daylight too.

Kit parts

IMG_0008.jpg

Figures

IMG_0009.jpg

I decided to build a small diorama with the pilot running to the plane and a few other figures round it. This meant that I would have to open up the canopy and add a little more detail to the cockpit.

Seat with belts and joystick.

IMG_0011.jpg

Instrument panel

IMG_0012.jpg

Help needed to reduce the gap!

IMG_0016.jpg

I used revells aqua paints and a hairy stick, the paint was thinned slightly with water and took three coats to get a good coverage.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Wheels and all decals added.

IMG_0363.jpg

The canopy was cut with a saw but the rear section could really do with being vacformed rather than 3" thick scale clear plastic, I have removed some of the body to help it sit better.

The next task is to paint the figures and build a base.

Hopefully another wet weekend soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mish.

Deacon, was surprised how well they went down on a paint finish, plenty of softener helped, just waiting for another wet weekend to finish it off.

Yep, my compressor and booth are in the garage so if it's raining I find the air too damp plus I have to go outside to get in the garage which means using bags and boxes to keep the rain off! No matter how much I plead I can't bring it into the house! This one was done with a hairy stick.

Thought you meant that. Me I have a 1970's kitchen so i do it there but have converted to acrylics and use fans,open windows,doors plus an expo extracter. Also choose

when i do it carefully!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Roys, it has to be the garage for me as I have been told not to spray in the house, no matter how good the extractor on the booth is.

Anyway back to the build, not much done as I have been working on my What If Millennium Lancaster. Just put a base together and put her on it, need to paint the pilot figure and take him off the thick plastic base.

IMG_0069.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Warren

I have never produced a base for my builds, I may have a go after seeing this.

I'm with you on the garage spraying Madmonk. I've been banned too, but you can't blame the mem, you should see the grey

dust in the garage. :D

I have a heater down there to try to warm the air around the kit I am spraying, but you are right about the cold and the damp.

This is why I have gone back to painting with a hairy stick, it just reduces the phaffing around and I can stay dry. :D

Deacon

• 1 month later...

Note to self! CHECK CLOSING DATES MORE CLOSELY!!!!!!!

Thought I had till the end of November, really annoyed as there was little to do to get it RFI. Anyway here it is.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

It was an enjoyable build OOB and not being an aircraft modeller as such, mainly F1 cars, I have to say that I will be doing more Hurricanes.

I already have a 1/48 with etch and Vac canopy as well as an Airfix 1/24th kit. Whilst the Spitfire seems to be the glamour model of WWII the Hurricane appears to have been the workhorse so I may start a small collection.

Another enjoyable GB just a pity I don't take notice of closing dates!

Cheers,