Info required on Spitfire ZPE X4668

Alfisti

Can anybody help me with details of the presentation font style of this Spitfire named 'Burbage',that was flown by Mungo-Park of 74 Sqdn.I did have a photo of the wreck that partially showed the style of writing,but when my hard drive went TU,the image was lost(yeah,I know,should have installed an external drive,doh!).Have googled the interweb but can't find the image.The font was similar to italic type script.

TIA........Dave.

It was in a "handwritten" style, with an ornate capital "B" and the rest in "joined-up" style. There's a perfect photo, of it, in "Gifts of War," by Henry Boot & Ray Sturtivant.

Edgar

Dave, Sadly, in the light of what it shows, I have some helpful photos of the wreckage if you drop me a PM.

Edgar, the one I want to know about is the Spit 11A Mungo Park was flying when he and PO H M Stephens shot down Biggin's 600th Kill in on 1940. I have good reason to believe from the the 74 Sqn archivist (Bob Cossey) that the Spit flown by Flt Lt J C Mungo Park when he shared with Stephens in the destruction of the Me 109 that was Biggin's 600th on 30-Nov-40 was coded ZP-P. There are several press photos from 05-Dec-40 of M P sitting in a unidentified Spit for the press and a shot of the two pilots in best uniform under the nose of another unidentified Spit II (pale blue / sky Rotol spinner and a black port side to the under cowling - taking the 27-Nov-40 black port underwing order too far?! - that has been oversprayed onto the unturned spinner!) The unusual thing about he cockpit photo is how far forward the ZP is on the port side - the stem of the P abutting the rear of the cockpit door opening and the tip of the top stick of the Z just visible to the left of the opening. Any ideas on the serial, which Bob C hasn't been able to help with so far?

Thanks,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
Dave, Sadly, in the light of what it shows, I have some helpful photos of the wreckage if you drop me a PM.

Edgar, the one I want to know about is the Spit 11A Mungo Park was flying when he and PO H M Stephens shot down Biggin's 600th Kill in on 1940. I have good reason to believe from the the 74 Sqn archivist (Bob Cossey) that the Spit flown by Flt Lt J C Mungo Park when he shared with Stephens in the destruction of the Me 109 that was Biggin's 600th on 30-Nov-40 was coded ZP-P. There are several press photos from 05-Dec-40 of M P sitting in a unidentified Spit for the press and a shot of the two pilots in best uniform under the nose of another unidentified Spit II (pale blue / sky Rotol spinner and a black port side to the under cowling - taking the 27-Nov-40 black port underwing order too far?! - that has been oversprayed onto the unturned spinner!) The unusual thing about he cockpit photo is how far forward the ZP is on the port side - the stem of the P abutting the rear of the cockpit door opening and the tip of the top stick of the Z just visible to the left of the opening. Any ideas on the serial, which Bob C hasn't been able to help with so far?

Thanks,

Nick

30/11 & 1/12 he flew P7537; 28/11 P7527; 26/11 & 29/11 P7316. The ORB makes no mention of the 600th, which doesn't help.

Edgar