AMT XB-35 Flying Wing

Shar2

Especially when you have a choice of XB-35, YB-49 and B-2 and trying to decide which to build first. :analintruder:

For goodness' sake don't try and pick up all three at once, you'll be crippled for life!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Right. Finally got some work done on this. The cockpit is nearly complete, I just have to do some rummaging in the spares box to make the place look a bit more busy. From the pit shots from Obi-Jiff it seemed quite a cramped place to be and there are certainly some black boxes and instruments missing. Will also try and make up some seatbelts, although I don't think much will be seen when everything is closed up. I realise the pit should all be aluminium, but it does say in the instructions that production machines would have been interior green, so to break the monotony of the overall silver I decided to go with the green.

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Now added a few more PE panels from a B-29 set and seat belts for the crew.

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

Fitted to the fuselage/wing.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

Then hide it all away with the top of the fuse/wing.

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

Just realised from these photo angles that the leading edges are separate parts. Hope they fit ok.

They weren't as bad as I had expected, but will still need a fair bit of filler. That's the task for today.

Edited by Shar2

Well, after all day filling and sanding I think shes just about ready for some primer. Fitted the prop mountings and gun turrets and will mask off the requisite holes. I'm intending to use Alclad2 so will be using their grey primer. This will be a first for me so wish me luck for tomorrow.

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

Ok, have been alclading all day today. First time I've ever used Alclad2 on anything this large. I'm pretty pleased with the results, even though my filling and sanding aren't really anything to write home about. Think I should stick with ships. On the upper surface I've added several other shades of aluminium as a bit of a trial, again I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Certainly is! How many bottles of Alclad did you go through? :)

Only about half a bottle in the end, it went on a lot better than I thought. After all the scare stories I was having reservations on whether to use it or not. I found it really reasy to use, particularly when doing the separate panels. It also helped in improving my spraying technique. Just about to do the odd panel on the underside and add the undercarriage. With a bit of titivating around the front perspex and the decals I should have it done by the end of the day.

Right, I'm calling this finished. She need a little touch up around the nose glazing, but due to my mistake back I haven't got the steady hand to do that just at the moment. Really enjoyed building this as it was my first aircraft for quite a while and the first use of Alclad and am pleased with the way she came out.

I hope you like it.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Well done Dave :) It's also been a great chunk of experience with Alclad, eh? Wasn't there a jet version planned? :hmmm:

Thanks Mike. I believe Grim Reaper is doing the jet one. OH! and yes I have one in the stash, but it's not coming out till I get a bigger house :D