Haegawa 1/72 X-29

Paul

It felt a bit strange when this one appeared two decades ago. After years scrabbling about finding models of X-planes dating from the stone age of modelling and trying to beat a replica out of them - to be presented with a nice, shiny X-plane in state-of-the-art plastic seemed a bit like cheating! Nice sharp kit - never built it yet tho', so it'll be interesting to see how it goes together.

I've made a start, although there's not too many parts left already! It does fit together very very well, its a complete joy to build :thumbsup:

The office

X-293.jpg

And the main part of the assembly

X-294.jpg

I'm a bit nervous as I didn't add any nose weight (the instructions don't mention that any are needed)

We'll see!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to finish this kit this weekend, so a quick update.

After painting

X-295.jpg

And after the decals

X-296.jpg

I found the decals a bit of a nightmare, especially the stripes under the wings.

At one point my wife had to rescue a bit of blue and red stripe from my tongue with a cocktail stick!

And she's finished!

I really enjoyed this simple little kit from Hasegawa, apart from the decals which I had loads of trouble with.

I'd definitely build this kit again, perhaps a what-if subject. Its got a touch of the F-5 about it, so it would look great in aggressor markings.

Thanks to the hosts on this X-planes GB, I'm not sure I would have got round to building this otherwise :cheers:

X-2910.jpg

More pics in the completed builds thread.

I was trying to rescue a bit the had folded back on itself, not quite sure what happened next!

I hate it when it happens, especially when the glue is stronger than the decal!! Nice recovery anyway :)