Eduard Heinkel He 280

The Velociweiler

• 2 weeks later...

Made a token start - at some point I'll have some time to do a proper write up....

100_0841.jpg

I've started joining parts that can be painted once in situ and other left/right parts etc.... of which there aren't many which don't need pre-painting etc first. So here are the wing halves joined and the seat placed into the cockpit pan. There are sidewalls to be added and the cockpit itself is reasonably furnished, but plenty of potential for the superdetailers, of which I most certainly am not these days - this will just be a from-the-box build, (it's a build, not a review, you won't hear me trying to check outline or dimension accuracy...) model will be depicted in flight too, so there will be a Pilot furnished from somewhere or other.

Quality is extremely good. It's sharp, clean and competent ( I say that because as far as I remember it's a fairly early Eduard kit...) and in the sprued-up form, gives the modeller a confident feel about it. The plane itself will be a nice comparison piece to a 262 or an early Meteor and at the moment, having built about 0.0013% of it, I'd recommend it.

• 2 months later...

Personal reasons have kept me from compiling a step-by-step build on these models, but hopefully these pics will give an illustration of the process to completion. This kit is a doddle for a straight-from-the-box build, and the only addition to be brought in was a pilot figure from a Tamiya Bf 109.

The cockpit interior is sufficiently complete and detailed for me for this build, however, there is no clear indication given by Eduard to the precise location the cockpit insert should be fitted, hence a bit of a gap between the Instrument panel and the coaming. Nothing to lose any sleep over...

100_0961.jpg

100_0960.jpg

100_0962.jpg

The only real fit issues I had were the wing underside\fuselage which had a fairly unsightly gap. This Heinkel and the 178 I'm also building will be placed on a double display stand with wheels up. It's just too cold to spray or airbrush (I can't in the house) so both models as I speak have been brush-painted RLM 02. Should hopefully be finished around christmas day.

• 2 weeks later...

As per the He 178 - this model is now finished and declared. It's been too cold to airbrush or spray (can't in the house...) so it was out with the brushes for both, and as related for the 178, I'd lost a lot of inspiration 'afore completion of these two so I did a fairly indifferent job. In particular the 280 here when complete is a very elegant bird - seems to resemble a Stork in flight and I suppose it would make a nice 'what-if' in markings normally associated with a Me 262. Decals were incredibly thin - I was worried at the outset that no carrier varnish seemed to be applied over them - but they were fine and bedded down nicely using Humbrol Decalfix.

Highly recommended kit, with no vices or surprises. Would definitely make a nice diorama piece.

100_0985.jpg