Harrier GR.5

AlcatrazLogan

I just picked up Revell's BAe Harrier GR.5 in 1/72 scale, it'll be my first aircraft since I was a kid but I do a fair bit of armor modelling. I was curious about two things, the first being the camo.

Revell recommends a Greyish Green top, matt 67 from their range and a light olive bottom, matt 45 from their range. As I usually only use Vallejo paints I've worked that out to be U.S Dark Green for the top and Reflective Green for the bottom, based on Vallejo's own paint conversion charts. Has anyone any input on to how accurate this would be?

Secondly I was wondering about the weapons loadout. Following the instructions I'd be placing a bomb on the outermost wing pylon, then a rocket pod, a sidewinder missile and finally another bomb on the innermost wing pylon. Does this sound right?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Are colour callouts as big a pain in AFV modelling?

The light olive Rev45 is given as Hu102 Army Green which sounds not too bad but without refs to hand am not sure

Normally I would post links to colour charts but am so fed up of looking at them lately and the various contradictions and errors I won't

Sorry :rant: mode off and.....

:welcome: to BM :lol:

Edited by walrus

As I posted on your thread on ARC;

The main role of the Harrier GR5 would've been close air support so it would have carried a weapon load like this;

From fusalage out;

27mm ADEN gun

Drop tank

AIM 9L

BL755 Cluster bomb or SNEB rocket pod.

BL755 Cluster bomb

CRV-7's were'nt in service then iirc & LGB's were'nt as common then as they are now.

HTH,

Spike (Ex RAF Armourer)

ps,just looked at the kit & it has Matra SNEB rockets & BL755's in the kit.

Although Pete (Bomb'ed) would know better as he's an ex-Harrier Armourer.

Are colour callouts as big a pain in AFV modelling?

The light olive Rev45 is given as Hu102 Army Green which sounds not too bad but without refs to hand am not sure

Normally I would post links to colour charts but am so fed up of looking at them lately and the various contradictions and errors I won't

Sorry :rant: mode off and.....

:welcome: to BM :lol:

I know what you mean about the color charts, I've looked at them thoroughly and it can become a pain trying to match paints.

@spike7451

Thanks for your answer, here and on ARC. It's a shame the kit itself didn't come with drop tanks but it'll look good either way I'm sure.

I know what you mean about the color charts, I've looked at them thoroughly and it can become a pain trying to match paints.

@spike7451

Thanks for your answer, here and on ARC. It's a shame the kit itself didn't come with drop tanks but it'll look good either way I'm sure.

PM me your address,I think I've a couple spare & as you're over the border from me,it shouldn't be too much in postage.

Bloody 'ell Merv

Just been wrestling with the stash

wish you had said earlier :lol:

Nah mate,bloody workmen crushed a few made up kit's installing the gas!!Quite a few 1/72 kits trashed by their size nines!! 

That's council workers for you!

I just picked up Revell's BAe Harrier GR.5 in 1/72 scale, it'll be my first aircraft since I was a kid but I do a fair bit of armor modelling. I was curious about two things, the first being the camo.

Revell recommends a Greyish Green top, matt 67 from their range and a light olive bottom, matt 45 from their range. As I usually only use Vallejo paints I've worked that out to be U.S Dark Green for the top and Reflective Green for the bottom, based on Vallejo's own paint conversion charts. Has anyone any input on to how accurate this would be?

Secondly I was wondering about the weapons loadout. Following the instructions I'd be placing a bomb on the outermost wing pylon, then a rocket pod, a sidewinder missile and finally another bomb on the innermost wing pylon. Does this sound right?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

The original specs for the GR.5 greens scheme were NATO IRR Green (BS381C:285) and Medium Green (BS4800.12B.25 - also known as Spruce Green).

As for a Vallejo mix... I'd like to know that to! I can only suggest starting with the Humbrol/Vallejo cross references (890 and 974) and see how they look. The great thing about Vallejo is that is a colour is too dark/light, the next in line is usually closer.

The original specs for the GR.5 greens scheme were NATO IRR Green (BS381C:285) and Medium Green (BS4800.12B.25 - also known as Spruce Green).

As for a Vallejo mix... I'd like to know that to! I can only suggest starting with the Humbrol/Vallejo cross references (890 and 974) and see how they look. The great thing about Vallejo is that is a colour is too dark/light, the next in line is usually closer.

I'm still trying to figure out the Vallejo colors, their own color charts are a little deceptive. So far for Lichen Green\Medium Green it's looking like either Vallejo Green Sky (974) or Vallejo Bronze Green (897).

For the Nato Green I've been looking at Vallejo U.S Dark Green (893) or Russian Uniform WWII (924).

These are based on Vallejo's own color charts and the color samples on this website: Prince August If you navigate to Accessories and then Paint & Brushes you'll see their color samples are a bit more closer to the actual color within the Vallejo bottles, or so I find.

I'm still trying to figure out the Vallejo colors, their own color charts are a little deceptive. So far for Lichen Green\Medium Green it's looking like either Vallejo Green Sky (974) or Vallejo Bronze Green (897).

For the Nato Green I've been looking at Vallejo U.S Dark Green (893) or Russian Uniform WWII (924).

These are based on Vallejo's own color charts and the color samples on this website: Prince August If you navigate to Accessories and then Paint & Brushes you'll see their color samples are a bit more closer to the actual color within the Vallejo bottles, or so I find.

Rule of thumb never, ever take any notice of RGB swatches on the internet. I've seen them used as attempts to compare colours and with other swatches (?!), they're not an accurate method of assessing a colour.

...and "Medium Green" was also referred to as Lichen Green (well thats what its called on the Xtracolor pot and the relevant Modeldecal sheets!).

as a matter of interest, hopefiully, I've been painting a T10 conversion in 1/48th lately, and had tried to use differing Acrylic Medium Greens to try to match Lichen Green; In the end I couldn't and ended up using the Xtracolor enamel paint. Note that NATO Green is also available in this range - and this isn't a million miles away from RAF Dark Green. This colour SHOULD be available in Vallejol colours without having to mix and match - I'd have thought?

Edited by Bill Clark

Just a little tale about the GR.5. All the MOD boffins had decided it was going to have an extra pylon for the Sidewinders. Months of work had been previously, so the team came to A&AEE BD to do the trials. It quickly became apparent that they actually hadn't factored the wing wheel immediately behind the pylon. So the Armourers couldn't fit the winder; alot of red faces later a Canadian pylon was sought so the winder could be loaded front to readward!!.

• 8 years later...

9 years on, I'm asking the same question! What Vallejo Model Air colour would be vest suited to the underside of a GR5? I know it's Lichen Green from Xtracolour but I've only got access to Vallejo. 

To follow on from the sidewinder tail. To fit the nitrogen bottle to the lau, we used to have tow the jet on to a ramp, this tipped the jet to one side,

Which lifted the out rigger off the ground. You could then pump the leg up to gain access the the nitrogen bottle!