Duxford October show

Bennygman

Had a trip to Duxford on Sunday to give the airshow season it's traditional send-off. It was a pretty good show really and we got weather that I'd have killed for on at least two or three occasions this year. It also gave me a chance to try the 1.4x extender that my girlfriend got me for my birthday.

The Red Bull Matadors - for my money the most entertaining team in the country - bar none! This is the only team who do things that make me gasp even after 30 odd years of airshow attendance...

IMG_1256.jpg

Finally got a Wildcat shot I'm happy with...

IMG_1236.jpg

Obligatory Spit shot...

IMG_1214.jpg

A new type for me - Pilatus PC-2 (I think)

IMG_1159.jpg

And the first time seeing this in the air...

IMG_1086.jpg

DH Rapide putting on a sprightly display...

IMG_1057.jpg

Harvard...

IMG_1025.jpg

DC-3 performing in between passenger charters...

IMG_1014.jpg

Classic jet formation...

IMG_0917.jpg

Black Cats - definitely not a gasp-inducing team IMHO...

IMG_0856.jpg

A bit of Winter overhaul...

IMG_0843.jpg

My favorite shot of the day - you always get some nice light at the end of the October show, and this Dak is a real beauty (KLM colours the other side too)...

IMG_1306.jpg

And finally, Mr Legends himself wringing out the Bearcat as usual...

IMG_0896.jpg

Here's to better weather for the 2008 season - only six months or so 'til Biggin!

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Thanks guys and gals, it was a good way to round off the season.

Bob: it's a 20D with 300mm f4 and a 1.4x extender now, so 420mm in total. I'd like to have had a 2x but I'm told it will degrade the image quality, which doesn't seem to be the case with the 1.4.

Re the Black Cats; In general, I don't like to criticize a military display item at a time when they're becoming rarer and rarer, but I find this one a bit low key to be honest. Granted, I've since found out that they had a bird-strike at the start of yesterday's display which explains the unusual beginning. The distance to Duxford's runway didn't help as the 'ground handling ballet' section was a bit distant (not the team's fault). What I find ironic is that the term 'Black Catting' apparently refers to oneupmanship or doing things better than others, but I find that they don't display the Lynx as well as the Army's Blue Eagles - I'd swap endless distant peddle turns for one of those back-flips any day. I don't know if this is due to a difference in aircraft specs or rotor construction ( I think Jen tried to explain this to me at Fairford) Having tried and failed to fly simulator helicopters I can only guess at the skill involved in the head to head pirouettes, I just think it's lacking the 'wow' factor - imagine two Lynx doing synchronized flips to get peoples attention.

Nice colour scheme these days though

IMG_0855.jpg

Consider me chilled :chillpill::kissing2:

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman