Best way to be allowed acces to museum aircraft?

turnerdad

Hi, wondering if anybody could give me some advice. I would like to spend some time referencing some aircraft (actually at Cosford) but could anyone give me some advice/experience as to the best way to approach the relevant trusts? Ideally I'd like canopies opened, be allowed access to U/C bays with a ruler and basically have unlimited access to the subjects. I know it can be done as I have many reference books with their subjects detailed in such a manner, but aside from writing a very polite letter to the appropriate authorities, is there anything else I should do? If I can get access, I may well have some very interesting projects coming up which would lead to a number of limited run highly detailed kits of some seriously cool British experimental aircraft...

Thanks

Several years ago I wrote to the RAFM in Hendon politely asking for internal access to the Hudson. I explained that I wS there as a delegate of a national preservation group (that they were hosting!), but was advised that although I was welcome to to take ant external shots required, i.e. wandering off the designated walkway to take shots otherwise jot acessable, such as.......

P1010732.jpg

I couldn't be allowed inside because of damage caused by previous 'visitors'.

At best therefore, as far as the RAFM is concerned, it's the outside only.

Trevor

In my experience, ask the museum staff politely, and if they say no, try find someone else who may say yes. If not, don't push it and defy their rejection - this will definitely make you unpopular. Of course, there will be arseholes in any organisation, but I think most museum staff take an interest in people showing more than superficial knowledge about the subjects on display, and if you are polite and do not take their hospitality for granted, then they will help you out. There may be restrictions to what the people on the "shop floor" can do, but if you're patient and get remembered for all the right reasons, then you will benefit in the long term.

Jens

never been to a UK museum but many in Germany, they are more than happy to let you take millions of close ups and inside shots..

im the good looking one on the right...........

DSC00964.JPG

Depends upon museum...

Smaller ones more informal - but the larger ones it really pays to contact them first via email, or telephone, and make a request. Some may levy a charge, and some may specify out of public hours.

With Cosford I'd write, or ring. Turning up on the day and asking probably won't get you what you need.

Iain

never been to a UK museum but many in Germany, they are more than happy to let you take millions of close ups and inside shots..

im the good looking one on the right...........

DSC00964.JPG

Was this taken at Gatow at the Luftwaffe museum????

I was there yesterday and some sound advice to anyone going is to take am umbrella + waterproofs if it looks like rain - I got soaked and there is little shelter!!!!

Great place to go though if anyone is going to Berlin - quite easily accessible by public transport from the city centre.

Was this taken at Gatow at the Luftwaffe museum????

I was there yesterday and some sound advice to anyone going is to take am umbrella + waterproofs if it looks like rain - I got soaked and there is little shelter!!!!

Great place to go though if anyone is going to Berlin - quite easily accessible by public transport from the city centre.

No, it was Rothenberg, much further south, far east of dresden.

I have been to the museum at Gatow, i didnt like it, rows and rows of aircraft and lots of Brit stuff, i saw lightnings and harriers etc but as a complete mix, wasnt really DDR for me, plus not easy to take good fotos.

you should have said you was gonna be in Berlin, this is a great model shop MOTAG

PICT0665.JPG

Be as nice as a nice thing at a nice time asking for a nice place to stay the night...helps to offer a reasonable donation to museum funds.

why should you offer to pay extra????? hell if you pay a entrance fee, that should be enough!