1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a New Tool

A quick question. The aircraft codes on the fuselage appear as LZ()N on the port side of the aircraft. Is it the same on the starboard side? looking at the gallery that seems to be how RAF fighter codes were arranged, but I'm no expert and want to check before I commit the decals to water.

Edit: to be clearer. I'm wondering if the starboard side of the aircraft should have the codes in this order - LZ()N (like a mirror image of the port side). Or like this - N()LZ

I've seen both arrangements on Spitfires, any idea what this aircraft might have used?

Edited by rowmk9

Hi Rowan, the Spit's looking great (as always). :)

I'm interested in the blu-tac sausages as I've never sprayed a camo scheme before and have got to do the same on my Blenheim. I'd sort of persuaded myself that a hard demarcation (just using tape), would be most apprpriate for 1/72 - but seeing your Spit is making me think again.

Cheers

Cliff

A quick question. The aircraft codes on the fuselage appear as LZ()N on the port side of the aircraft. Is it the same on the starboard side? looking at the gallery that seems to be how RAF fighter codes were arranged, but I'm no expert and want to check before I commit the decals to water.

Edit: to be clearer. I'm wondering if the starboard side of the aircraft should have the codes in this order - LZ()N (like a mirror image of the port side). Or like this - N()LZ

I've seen both arrangements on Spitfires, any idea what this aircraft might have used?

my only 2 sources (1 RoG Vb and a photo in a book) have both sides as AE()A.... Unfortunately this doesnt answer specifics about the one you ar emodelling but is the best I have.....

I'm interested in the blu-tac sausages as I've never sprayed a camo scheme before and have got to do the same on my Blenheim. I'd sort of persuaded myself that a hard demarcation (just using tape), would be most apprpriate for 1/72 - but seeing your Spit is making me think again.

Hi Cliff, thanks for the kind comments!

The blu-tac sausages have their good and bad points. They are fairly easy to do, just watch where you place your fingers when most of the pattern is down, no one wants a squashed sausage!

The other problem is they can be difficult to get the camo pattern exactly right, so I usually have to add in a few of the finer lines with a few careful brush strokes. If you look closely at my Spitfire, you'll see the camo pattern is more representational than an exact match for the offical pattern decreed by the powers that be. But I don't mind, nor will 90% of us! :)

And thanks Robw_uk for the info, It all helps!

Just a quick update of how my Spitfire is looking. After painting the aircraft it was given its mandatory coat of Klear (3 coats on the bottom to help gloss over the matte finished tamiya paint). Then the decals could go down, I'm about halfway through decalling.

p1050985.jpg

I think the paint chipping is near the borderline of too much, but just inside... (also must remind myself to lightly chip the gun access bays under the roundels)

p1050980u.jpg

As you can see, I've not done the starboard side codes. LZ(o)N or N(o)LZ, what should it be? :P

can you either link or give some detail on the masking for chipping method.....

The kind soul that FZ6 is, he's posted his great paint chipping tutorial that I used as a guide for my attempt. You can find it HERE

With practice, I hope to get close to his profficiency with the method.

About my Spitfire - anyone know the way the codes should go on the starboard side?

Edited by rowmk9

Thanks Mish. It's my thought as well now that the codes were in that arrangement. The mirror image ones appear more with the oversize codes from the pictures I've seen.

Update: getting close to finishing this little one now. All parts are attached and painted, just some light staining, the aerial wire, and a flat coat to finish her off.

Since the last post, all the decals have gone on, and another coat of Klear over the top of them to seal them in and stop the wash getting under them. Then black Promodellers wash was applied. After that the exhausts, landing gear and aerial mast attached and painted.

How R6800 looks right now.

p1050996a.jpg

p1050997.jpg

p1050999p.jpg

It's picture fest time because R6800 is finished! As you can see, I went for a black spinner as I reasoned that they hadn't been painted red during mid-September, the period I wanted R6800 to be from. Further research might uncover R6800's activities on the 15th September, but for now, I'll just imagine that it was one of the 66 Squadron aircraft that attacked and damaged the Heinkel I built (A1+BT of KG53).

Overall I found the kit to be excellent, with only a few vices such as the wing dihedral and instrument panel fit needing any real attention, the rest was very pleasant indeed.

I'll upload some of these pics in the gallery forthwith.

p1060024.jpg

p1060005r.jpg

p1060038j.jpg

p1060030u.jpg

p1060028.jpg

p1060008j.jpg

At the risk of sounding like an oscar acceptance speech, I'd like to thank Lasermonkey for very generously donating the main decals, without which this little project would have been grounded. AndyL and FZ6 deserve credit for respectively helping my research and paint chipping techniques for the aircraft, and of course anyone who commented kindly on my build. Thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone, I'm also quite happy with it. Easily my best Spitfire by far. Now if only Airfix had newly tooled the Hurricane I.... maybe in a few years time!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I'm new here and very late to the table on this topic . This is indeed a lovely build, but I hope someone can tell me about the cylindrical protrusion extending from behind the armour plate, aft of where the pilot's head would be. This is the usual location for the voltage regulator, I believe; anyway, I've never noticed the sort of device seen here. Thanks.

Hi - I'm new here and very late to the table on this topic . This is indeed a lovely build, but I hope someone can tell me about the cylindrical protrusion extending from behind the armour plate, aft of where the pilot's head would be. This is the usual location for the voltage regulator, I believe; anyway, I've never noticed the sort of device seen here. Thanks.

Hiya mate! thanks for the interest in the build. I'll confess to not being a Spitfire expert so I'm not sure what it is, I have a cut-away drawing of the Mk.1 somewhere which might say and I'll dig it out and see what it could be. having said that, by the time I've found it I'm sure a proper expert will be on here and able to tell you :)

I've actually got one little bit to finish on my Spit as it happens, I've been told this paticular aircraft had a gas detection patch on the wing, so in the next few days I'll get round to adding it on and updating all the finished pics.

finally, welcome to Britmodeller! feel free to introduce yourself on the new members section HERE. It's not compulsory though (don't tell anyone, but I never did - shhhh!) ;)

nice to see this finished.... and great job you have done

qq.... the Canopy - is that a single unit or in 3 parts (or both)? Think with that level of cockpit I would want to open the canopy and open the entry hatch - dont think the latter is too difficult looking at sprue shots but not sure on the canopy (if it would need to be cut)

Rob

nice to see this finished.... and great job you have done

qq.... the Canopy - is that a single unit or in 3 parts (or both)? Think with that level of cockpit I would want to open the canopy and open the entry hatch - dont think the latter is too difficult looking at sprue shots but not sure on the canopy (if it would need to be cut)

Rob

Thanks Rob!

The side entry hatch does look like a fairly easy operation to remove and position open.

Unfortunately the canopy is in one piece, although that does make it easier to fit and align - a nod towards the entry level market I'm sure (it's a tight fit though, it needs a bit of care). It is also fairly thick so seeing into the cockpit is difficult, and also for the same reason it would be difficult to cut apart the 3 sections. Unless you're prepared to do the extra work required to open it all out then a closed canopy is the only option. I think a vacform canopy would need to be used to do the sliding hood justice.

Thats my thoughts on it anyway :P

Thanks Rob!

The side entry hatch does look like a fairly easy operation to remove and position open.

Unfortunately the canopy is in one piece, although that does make it easier to fit and align - a nod towards the entry level market I'm sure (it's a tight fit though, it needs a bit of care). It is also fairly thick so seeing into the cockpit is difficult, and also for the same reason it would be difficult to cut apart the 3 sections. Unless you're prepared to do the extra work required to open it all out then a closed canopy is the only option. I think a vacform canopy would need to be used to do the sliding hood justice.

Thats my thoughts on it anyway :P

thanks rowan, that was my worry... oh well.... may buy one for the stash tho....

• 5 years later...

Dear Rowan,

As the son of PO Hugh William Reilley, I am interested in your model of the Spit in which he died. I realise this message is somewhat outdated but have only just found your details and hope that this will be passed onto you.

Several years ago I built the larger Airfix model which featured Al Deer's Spit, but like many others was faced with having to use his Squadron Markings and I could not find at that time any of the Squadron 66 Decals, which was a shame.

Since then, I have been fortunate enough to have 2 grandsons who I think might like to have a model of R6800, so I hope you can help, please.

I have purchased the 1:72 kit and hope to buy another one, but before I make a start, could you please give me the details of where I can buy the Decals used for it.

Kindest Regards,

C.H.A.Reilley.

Edited by lockhands