1/48 Zvezda Messerschmitt BF 109 F 2

Manu

Hi everyone,

as a modelling introduction, i present my last finished model, the Zvezda BF 109 F 2. I really enjoy building that kit, one of the most pleasant and beautifull i've ever built. It was the plane of Major Hans Philipp From the IV / JG 54 on the russian front in 1941. Decals are from Lifelike and i've used the nice Vector set to improve it.

img0494q.jpg

img0556v.jpg

img0711l.jpg

img0715j.jpg

img0718h.jpg

img0723w.jpg

img0725vj.jpg

img0728h.jpg

img0682f.jpg

img0791cv.jpg

img0773i.jpg

Cheers,

Manu.

• Like 1

That's lovely! Well done. I am doing one of these at the moment- I think the Vector kit is certainly required.

As for the (very well executed) paint scheme, I still do not accept these colours were as always stated. As to what they actually were, I really am not sure. I think the dark lines were either '70 or '71, and the background could well have been '02, with the "splodges" being either a brown, or a medium green (mix of 70 or 71 and '02.) One day I am going to finish an F-2 in this manner.

Manu,

That is very nice indeed! :thumbsup2: I'm still trying to get my hands on one of these little beauties - they're rarer than rocking horse poo in the UK though!

What does the Vector kit provide then?

Wez

Last time Mental said that I managed to track him one down within 3 minutes. I wonder if he ever bought it? :hmmm:

Go on then, where, where, where?

Wez

Thank you guys for your kind words,

Mentalguru : i've choosen the paint scheme that lifelike indicates. Difficult to say with only black and white pics, both can be right.

Kasatka : the web is airbrushed and faded by micromeshing the surfaces and using some oil paints.

Wez : the Vector set provides a new correct spinner, exhaust pipes, correct canopy, engraved dashboard, gunsight, "ailerons", "air intake". All the parts are beautifull.

Cheers,

Manu.

Wez : the Vector set provides a new correct spinner, exhaust pipes, correct canopy, engraved dashboard, gunsight, "ailerons", "air intake". All the parts are beautifull.

So is there anything left of the original kit then? :whistle:

I wonder who stocks Vector in the UK? I know Parade Models/Neomega did but their website appears to have gone west...

Wez

The Vector set includes the stuff that rather bizarrely Zvezda got wrong. It seems to make little sense as the rest of the kit seems so accurate. The spinner is (I think) only reproduced in resin due to the (otherwise extremely costly to tool) lack of return on the "openings" for the prop blades.

the intake goof is unfathomable- the exhaust stacks are moulded solid in the kit- (show me a kit that isn't moulded this way) and I haven't a clue what is wrong with the ailerons as the web pics of the Vector set don't give any clues on this.

To sum up- I would say the Vector set is 2/3 enhancement and 1/3 correction.

Manu- As for the scheme- I have many many times posted on HS looking for lead ins to colour photo's of these JG-54 birds, but guess what- there aren't any, or the "Experten" are staying extremely schtum...

Edited by Mentalguru

The Vector set includes the stuff that rather bizarrely Zvezda got wrong. It seems to make little sense as the rest of the kit seems so accurate. The spinner is (I think) only reproduced in resin due to the (otherwise extremely costly to tool) lack of return on the "openings" for the prop blades.

the intake goof is unfathomable- the exhaust stacks are moulded solid in the kit- (show me a kit that isn't moulded this way) and I haven't a clue what is wrong with the ailerons as the web pics of the Vector set don't give any clues on this.

To sum up- I would say the Vector set is 2/3 enhancement and 1/3 correction.

So where did you get it from then Mental?

Wez

Manu, that is fantastic, you have really captured that worn look without it looking over done. I have always liked this colour scheme and will work up the courage to have a go in 1/72 scale sometime. Nice job.

Don't mention 1/72nd scale, I'm trying it now :P

391753079.jpg

391753039.jpg

I went with a simpler pattern, I was trying the scheme Manu (NICE JOB) used and found out ain't no way I could match it.

Yellow nose on this one, I'll paint that last. Right now it's getting the wings camo'd, I figured easier to do the scale mottle first and shoot the base camo over that

Don't mention 1/72nd scale, I'm trying it now

Yellow nose on this one, I'll paint that last. Right now it's getting the wings camo'd, I figured easier to do the scale mottle first and shoot the base camo over that

Don,

You're obviously a sucker for punishment, nice work though!

Which kit is that?

Wez

Don,

You're obviously a sucker for punishment, nice work though!

Which kit is that?

Wez

1/72nd scale Fine Molds. I'm in the State's and managed to get some cheap between US IPMS Nats and Evilbay.

The kits a dream to build, only issue is the cowling 1/2s, since their designed to be posed open I always have to fiddle with the fit

391983476.jpg

You can see it on this one I did back in the spring (I airbrushed the donut camo using masks...LOTS of masks :P ). I painted the 1/2's off the model this one and didn't get a good fit when I glued them on. I'm thinking of doing it again after this one (I've 2 more F's on the build pile, plus others :) )

391527256.jpg

Here's one with a better fit

I fixed the part that's loose there after the photo but was to lazy to retake it :P

Thanks guys,

Lansen : I've made the belts with photoetched buckles cutted from an Eduard harness and tin foil.

Dan : nice begining. in 1/72, that's a challenge !

Mentalguru is right, the Zvezda kit is very accurate and easy to build even if it's cutting out (very good engineering, all the parts come along nicely almost without filler). The ailerons have just a better engraving for what i've noticed.

Excuse me but i haven't undestood "schtum".

cheers,

Manu.