games workshop purity seal

geoff m

having heard how good this stuff was I bought a can. Tested it on various bits and pieces and no problems. Have just used it on the prop blades of my Tamiya spitfire and it has dried white!! Is there any way to get rid of the white bloom? Really dont want to have to respray the prop cos will lose the decals. Any help very gratefully received.

having heard how good this stuff was I bought a can. Tested it on various bits and pieces and no problems. Have just used it on the prop blades of my Tamiya spitfire and it has dried white!! Is there any way to get rid of the white bloom? Really dont want to have to respray the prop cos will lose the decals. Any help very gratefully received.

Hi Geoff - just re- gloss the prop with klear - the white will go away. Or you try polishing out on a peice of well worn cotton t-shirt, or very old denim.

PS - Purity seal is great - but do shake it very well first, and warm it thoroughly in a jug of hot water first ( I use hot tap water, about as hot as my fingers can bear without going "Ow!")

HTH

Jonners

Have just used it on the prop blades of my Tamiya spitfire and it has dried white!!

Hi Geoff

You should get some photo's of this model up on the site, it's seriously good! Hope you get the prop blades sorted out. As Jon says, a coat of gloss then recoat with matt usually sorts this without having to strip everything off (paint not clothes). Cause is too much matting agent in the varnish, usually through not enough mixing - don't go mattcoating the spare bedroom though!

Dave

Hi Geoff - just re- gloss the prop with klear - the white will go away. Or you try polishing out on a peice of well worn cotton t-shirt, or very old denim.

PS - Purity seal is great - but do shake it very well first, and warm it thoroughly in a jug of hot water first ( I use hot tap water, about as hot as my fingers can bear without going "Ow!")

HTH

Jonners

Thanks for that Jon. I have polished it and coated in clear. Hasnt got rid of it entirely but has left a quite attractive weathered finish that I can live with so am not going to mess around with it further.

Hi Geoff

You should get some photo's of this model up on the site, it's seriously good! Hope you get the prop blades sorted out. As Jon says, a coat of gloss then recoat with matt usually sorts this without having to strip everything off (paint not clothes). Cause is too much matting agent in the varnish, usually through not enough mixing - don't go mattcoating the spare bedroom though!

Dave

You are too kind Dave. I havnt posted anything for ages and not sure if I can remember how to post photos but will have a go. Am on the last lap so when its finished will try to post in ready for inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new tin of purity seal and the same thing happened to me. Perhaps I didn't shake it well enough? The really weird thing is that condensation formed all over the model while the varnish was drying - it looked like it was sweating in the end! I coat of purity seal from an old can and all was well. Hope they haven't changed the formula.

It's great stuff, I love it, but for God's sake be careful-apply it too thick and the paint bubbles up. Me being me, I thought "I'll wipe the bubbles off :D" Wipped off some paint with it. Ruined me 1/72 Canberra. So the moral is-use in thin layers and moderation!