Rhodesian Hunter

mmaker

Looks like the same type of aerial thats fitted to the Singaporean Hunter.

01WHEN02.jpg

1092363F.jpg

No it's not. The blades do not sweep back and the rod is not as long.

It also is overall not as long and fits just under the wing.

I have a pic I found online. I just don't have access to it right now.

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

George,

Also forgot that if you have access to the RAF Cosford Museum XG154 FGA.9 Hunter has the exact same antenna.

BTW if "anyone" is going there sometime I would appreciate some photos of it as well. :please:

Thanks, Alan

Alan,

thats superb and very helpfull!

There is also another one circular black antenna(UHF?) that I have to make!

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

George

More progress of my Hunter!

Decals applied,and sprayed a coat of satin varnish.

As I prefer a not so clean bird,I tried to wash and weather a little...

th_DSCF5474.jpgth_DSCF5468.jpgth_DSCF5471.jpg

Now with those helpful photos,I'll try that antenna,and some other details...

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the lion on the nose roundel should face the front of the aircraft on both sides (i.e. be mirrored on the decal sheet). Decal manufacturers seem to regularly screw this one up. The only accurate Rhodie (late war) decals in this regard are those which came with the 1982 SAM issue...

• 3 years later...

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the lion on the nose roundel should face the front of the aircraft on both sides (i.e. be mirrored on the decal sheet). Decal manufacturers seem to regularly screw this one up. The only accurate Rhodie (late war) decals in this regard are those which came with the 1982 SAM issue...

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but Rhodesian Air Force enthusiasts should be very happy with this!. I know I am as my SAM decals are nearly finished!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72214.

Depending on what period You are depicting Your model.

During the war all Rhodesian aircrafts were absolutely MATE finnish with no markings to avoid tracks to anti aircraft missiles.

If You allow me I recommend strongly the book " Britain's Rebel Air Force " By Roy Nesbit & Dudley Cowderoy (with Andrew Thomas) .

Tonka

Wholeheartedly agree with Tonka's assessment of this book……A great read. All of the Post-WWII African Colonial and Border Wars fascinate me and there is more now being published on the subject. The aforementioned book has some great reference photos to boot !.

The late period Rhodesian Hunters had that large blade antenna under BOTH intakes. They carried no national markings or serial numbers and the paint should be matte. The bumps over the outer wings are optional depending whether or not the ejectable pylons were fitted (the bumps overwing are the pylon eject mechanism).

Edited to add images. My apologies to copyright owners for being unable to provide credit where due.

Dustbin203.jpg

Hunter-2.jpg

Hunter-3.jpg

RhAFHunter.jpg

David

A Slight clarification,

I think you mean the Bomb eject ERU when fitted in the pylon, not the pylon itself which was non jettisonable.. The Same type ERU was used on Sea Vixens (pylons were deeper, no bump required) and the ERU was fitted when a store was loaded, and taken out when not required. Memory is failing me but I believe the ERU was only held in by large pip pins. The Cover " Bump " was optional without the ERU. The Bombs were single point suspension and were screwed tight up against the pylon base plate. The curve of the pylon baseplate provided store swaybracing. the bomb lug looked a bit like a lollipop and you also had two locating pins front and rear of the central lug that located in holes in the pylon baseplate.If you look at the image above you can just see the single "lug" on top of the stores in the picture.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

A Slight clarification,

I think you mean the Bomb eject ERU when fitted in the pylon, not the pylon itself which was non jettisonable.. The Same type ERU was used on Sea Vixens (pylons were deeper, no bump required) and the ERU was fitted when a store was loaded, and taken out when not required. Memory is failing me but I believe the ERU was only held in by large pip pins. The Cover " Bump " was optional with or without the ERU. The Bombs were single point suspension and were screwed tight up against the pylon base plate. The curve of the pylon baseplate provided store swaybracing. the bomb lug looked a bit like a lollipop and you also had two locating pins front and rear of the central lug that located in holes in the pylon baseplate.If you look at the image above you can just see the single "lug" on top of the stores in the picture.

Selwyn

Ah. Got it. Thanks.

David

The Bottom one, Is that the the new Zimbawian air force???

Yup, thought the plane in question (and the two-seater posted by somebody else), are both ex-Kenyan Hunters.

They were purchased by Zimbabwe in order to replace losses caused by sabotage in 1982. Contrary to 'genuine', i.e. ex-RhAF Hunters, they had no 'extra aerials'.

BTW, last time two Zim Hunters were flown was in 2002 - and not much earlier, as usually reported.

Edited by Tom Cooper

Looks like the same type of aerial thats fitted to the Singaporean Hunter.

01WHEN02.jpg

On the left side of centre fuselage - yes.

But, AFAIK, not on the right side 'too': the blade antenna installed under the right intake was just that, a blade antenna. The same as installed on most of Rhodesian-cum-Zimbabwean Alouettes too.

• 1 year later...

Depending on what period You are depicting Your model.

During the war all Rhodesian aircrafts were absolutely MATE finnish with no markings to avoid tracks to anti aircraft missiles.

If You allow me I recommend strongly the book " Britain's Rebel Air Force " By Roy Nesbit & Dudley Cowderoy (with Andrew Thomas) .

Tonka

An excellent book. Also there are many photographs of RRAF hunters on the internet site dedicated to the RRAF. Included are photographs of a Rhodesian Hunter with SAAF markings carrying a Sidewinder AAM mounted on a 'new' pylon midway between the outer weapons pylon and the fuel tank pylon.