Hurricane Mk.1a Flt Lt Nicolson 249 Sqn

This is my entry. 1/32 Revell Hurricane, which I'll do representing Flt Lt Nicolson of 249 Sqn, RAF Boscombe Down.

"On August 16th 1940, 23-year-old Flight Lieutenant James Nicolson of No. 249 Squadron was scrambled from Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, flying Hurricane P3576 of Red Section with Squadron Leader Eric King and Pilot Officer Martyn King

The pilots were to intercept and attack BF110's approaching Southampton from Gosport where a large raid was building up. The invaders had been sighted and Red Section dived towards the BF110's when, suddenly, a Staffel of BF109's jumped them from above. All three Hurricanes were hit.

Squadron Leader King, the least badly damaged, broke off his attack and returned to Boscombe Down. Pilot Officer King abandoned his burning Hurricane and baled out.

Four cannon shells hit Flight Lieutenant Nicolson's aircraft. One destroyed the perspex hood subsequently damaging his left eye and temporarily blinding him with blood. The reserve petrol tank was also struck along with his left leg. The Hurricane was now ablaze with the instrument panel melting, his hands blistering from the heat and his trousers on fire

Whilst preparing to bale out, a BF110 appeared in front of him. He slid back into his burning cockpit and continued flying the Hurricane after the enemy. Closing in, Nicolson opened fire and although the BF110 took evasive action to avoid the bullets, it was sent crashing into the sea

Finally baling out of his stricken aircraft, Nicolson had sustained severe burns to his hands, parts of his face, his eyelid was torn and his foot badly wounded. His ordeal however, was not quite over.

While descending towards the ground some Local Defence Volunteers (LVD), under orders, opened fire with rifles at what they believed to be enemy parachutists. Pilot Officer King had his parachute badly damaged and plummeted to his death. Flight Lieutenant Nicolson, in great pain, landed alive with further wounds received from shotgun pellets

He was rushed to The Royal Southampton Hospital where he made a full recovery and returned to active duty during late 1941.

His bravery and disregard for his own life in defence of his country earned him the Victoria Cross, which was awarded on 15th November 1940."

battle_of_britain_vc.jpg

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've finished the build this morning. I've not posted any photo's as I couldn't find my camera to PC cable, to I bought one yesterday and tried to upload the photo's this morning, but the cable was broken straight from the box!!; I've just got back from Salisbury with the USB stick device that reads the card and it works.

The kit:

I knew this was a basic kit and for £19.99 its no Tamiya Spitfire, on the inside of the wing its stamped 1971 and the decals are 2009 so there you go. The cockpit went together quite well and all I did was remove the moulded seat belts and drill a hole above the seat, for the intended Tamiya tape version. The instrument panel was added matted off then the dials picked out with Gloss varnish. The wings went together but after I'd removed the cannons and the bulges on top of the wings. I did sand down a little the lumps and bumps but perhaps I should have taken them all off?.

I only needed a little filler on the wing/body join and again with the engine panel. I drilled out the exhausts as they were just blocks of plastic, the effect made a considerable difference. The rest of the kit went together with no obsticles and so I sprayed the primer with Halfords primer. The area around the walk ways were then sprayed Silver and then the main colours. I used the Marmite effect around the walkways and when washed off revealed the wear; previously I'd used the salt method but this worked just as well (don't lick your fingers though :hypnotised: ). I'll use the marmite again as it was easier to spread with a toothpick.

3 main colours (Xtracrylix RAF Dark Green/Dark Earth/Sky) were used. This was then glossed with the Windsor & Newton Gloss varnish, then the decals added. Now these were a right pain as there must have been some contamination as even after 10 mins they wouldn't come off the backing sheet. I did win in the end, but how I didn't tear them I don't know. The side serials were made DIY using the exsisting serials cut up and the gaps painted with mixed paint. The real bottom of this kit was the tail wheel, it looks nothing like the real thing.

Weathering was done with Tamiya pastels and I might put a bit more grey on the exhuast as I thought it may be too dark. The step ladder on the port wing was made out of plasticard (as the kit omits this) and I scratch built a gun sight. Lastly a Matt varnish (Windsor & Newton) was added and this works really quite well. Belts made from Tamiya tape and stretched sprue for the antenna wire.

I did round off the spinner as its definately a Mk.II version, but his was sanded down until it was nearly see through so had to stop there.

SDC10345.jpg

SDC10353.jpg

SDC10350.jpg

SDC10354.jpg

SDC10355.jpg

SDC10356.jpg

SDC10357.jpg

SDC10363.jpg

SDC10364.jpg

SDC10368.jpg

SDC10369.jpg

I'll put the finished photo's into the gallery - BM GB Gallery

Edited by speedy

• 1 month later...
Any pics out there of Nicholson's Hurricane? I've been leafing through all the major Hurricane books, no dice.

Jonathan,

There are no pics of Nicholson's Hurri. In fact pics of 249 Sqn's Hurris are like proverbial hen's teeth.