PLANAF Phantom Killer!

haneto

Where did you get the decals from? I've not heard of these guys before and PLAAF/PLANAF subjects are hard to come by in decal form...

Thanks,Jamie!

The decal was made by Frontpenny Studio,a local one-man brand in China mainland.

And the scheme is from his most recent product,the J-6 retirement anniversary set.

I only know that some Taiwanese hobbyshops sell his items,maybe you can try Ebay I guess?

BTW,the local price of the J-6 decal set is RMB60.- per set,equality of about GBP6.0.

Looking great Yufei...that boarding ladder is a work of art!!!..awesome. looking forward to seeing finished photo's :thumbsup2:

Thanks,General!

I’m figuring to scratch build one 60-70’s PLAAF/PLANAF pilot for a dioaram show this time.

I’ll let you guys informed any way.:-)

Cheers,

Yufei

Thanks,Jamie!

The decal was made by Frontpenny Studio,a local one-man brand in China mainland.

And the scheme is from his most recent product,the J-6 retirement anniversary set.

I only know that some Taiwanese hobbyshops sell his items,maybe you can try Ebay I guess?

BTW,the local price of the J-6 decal set is RMB60.- per set,equality of about GBP6.0.

Thanks for the lead. Have found it via TaoBao, just need to get it to my in-laws in Chengdu for when I next visit!

Looking forward to seeing the proper photos :)

Jamie

Thanks a lot for your support!

Thanks for the lead. Have found it via TaoBao, just need to get it to my in-laws in Chengdu for when I next visit!

Jamie

Wow,you even know Taobao!Great!

Have you used to live in China mainland?:)

I talked with the author of frontpenny studio last night and he's very interested to have some internationla customers.

He will add some English translations on his decal instruction sheet at first and then start the Paypal service.

Just FYI.

Cheers,

Yufei

Wow,you even know Taobao!Great!

Have you used to live in China mainland?:)

I talked with the author of frontpenny studio last night and he's very interested to have some internationla customers.

He will add some English translations on his decal instruction sheet at first and then start the Paypal service.

Just FYI.

Cheers,

Yufei

Never actually lived there, we both work in the UK, but am over at least 1-2 times a year.

When Mr Frontpenny (for lack of a better name!) starts paypal service, let us know :-) :speak_cool:

Cheers

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Some more.

The front tire of Trumpy original part is again,wrong.

Wrong wheel disk,too thing rubber tire.

Scratch-build one myself.

87.jpg

Intake cover selfmade.

88.jpg

I also made a 1/48 PLAAF/PLANAF 60-70's pilot.

Maybe it will be resin cast for sale in the future.

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Yufei

Yufei,

I am interested in the decal sheet and am also interested in the figure. I would like to purchase both. I understand the figure might not be for sale and the decal sheet is not yours. If you could keep me up to date on how I might get one or both of these I would appreciate it. You can Pm me or send me an e-mail at [email protected]. You have done a fantastic job on the Mig! :goodjob: Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Root :beer:

Edited by Beaconroot

Thanks for the feedback!

WOW! im jealous of your finish!

Does the Gloss interfere with the metal finish??

Well,it does make the metal surface a little dull,but that’s just what I want to get.

The “metal” effect was actually all painted on Soviet birds,but not like the US birds’ NMF indeed.

Yufei,

I am interested in the decal sheet and am also interested in the figure. I would like to purchase both. I understand the figure might not be for sale and the decal sheet is not yours. If you could keep me up to date on how I might get one or both of these I would appreciate it. You can Pm me or send me an e-mail at [email protected]. You have done a fantastic job on the Mig! :goodjob: Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Root :beer:

Thanks,Jim!

I will resin cast the figure and sell it very soon.

I’m now making my home page and my own brand would be sold on it.

Will keep you updated later!

(Decal could also be sent together,I can manage to get one for you from my friend).

Cheers,

Yufei

Thanks for the feedback!

Well,it does make the metal surface a little dull,but that’s just what I want to get.

The “metal” effect was actually all painted on Soviet birds,but not like the US birds’ NMF indeed.

Thanks,Jim!

I will resin cast the figure and sell it very soon.

I’m now making my home page and my own brand would be sold on it.

Will keep you updated later!

(Decal could also be sent together,I can manage to get one for you from my friend).

Cheers,

Yufei

Yufei,

That would be fantastic! I would love to get my hands on that decal sheet. Glad to hear you will be doing some more of the pilot figures. They look great! Thaks for the response. I look forward to hearing from you again. Thanks again and good luck!

Jim Root

qq.... going back to the NMF, can you quickly recap the "dull NMF" process... Would it be the same for a non-Soviet MiG (and would it be appropriate to use the process on a Japanese Fuji T-1 or would thet be closer to the US NMF (which reading your posts is a more gloss NMF than the Soviet one)

thanks in advance

PS - stunning build and love that figure & ladder....... (its a casual pose and perhaps his foot would only be on the first rung - but I am in no position to make my own attempt or criticise - just an observation)

qq.... going back to the NMF, can you quickly recap the "dull NMF" process... Would it be the same for a non-Soviet MiG (and would it be appropriate to use the process on a Japanese Fuji T-1 or would thet be closer to the US NMF (which reading your posts is a more gloss NMF than the Soviet one)

thanks in advance

PS - stunning build and love that figure & ladder....... (its a casual pose and perhaps his foot would only be on the first rung - but I am in no position to make my own attempt or criticise - just an observation)

OK!

1.#1200 Surfacer sprayed

2.Sand the surfacer with #2000 sanding paper or finer.

3.Wash the surface thoroughly

4.Spray gloss black for metal primer

5.Spray Silver(GSI Creos Super Metalic #06 Chrome silver:Mr.Color #8 silver=4:1)

6.Gloss coating and let dried thoroughly for over 24 hours

7.Decal applied and let dried thoroughly for over 24 hours

8.Semi-gloss coating and let dried thoroughly for over 24 hours

9.Sand the surface if the decal trim is too thick,using #3600 or finer paper

(Caution:it’s risky that the paint maybe sanded)

10.Wash(I used Tamiya enamel colour flat black:flat white:flat brown=4:4:2 this time)

11.Dull coating,very thin and never over done.

Finished

Well,that’s my process any way and hope to be inspiral.

As for a Japanese T-1,I’ve not seen the real plane so it’s hard for me to tell.But I personally guess it should be closer to US ones with no-painted surface?

And thank you for the advice for the figure.Well,in past China and USSR,there were many propaganda pictures taken so the pilots were some how deliberately posed.:)

(I guess you can read that from his expression on face)

Cheers,

Yufei

• 1 month later...

Yufie,

I have just discovered this thread on your superb Shenyang F-6. It is indeed an inspiration for me to get started on a long awaited effort to build a 1/48th Pakistani F-6. May I impose and ask a research question.

Two reliable sources (the first Air Enthusiast magazine, January 1972, page 33) indicate that the first Shenyang F-6 delivered to the Pakistani AF was camouflaged in a brown, tan and green over blue color scheme. (As soon as I learn how to insert images I'll included a copy of the drawing.)

Another source, the ACIG site ( http://s188567700.online.de/CMS) , indicates at least two aircraft were painted in a similar camouflage during the India- Pakistan conflict in 1971. (http://s188567700.online.de/UserFiles/File/IndianSub/Shenyang_F-6_in_PAF_Service/paf_f-6a_823.jpg)

Does this information match any information you have run across in your research of F-6s in the PLANAF or PLAAF? And even more importantly have you seen any photos of this scheme on Pakistani or PLAAF or PLANAF F-6s?

Finally it has been long rumored, but never officially acknowledged within the US Air Force and Navy that there were many engagements between US aircraft and Chinese aircraft during what we know as the Vietnam War. To see the Chinese article on the engagement the aircraft you modeled was involved in over Hainan Island was very, very interesting and helps to confirm what have been for us, only rumors. Is it possible that there were other engagements along the (at the time) North Vietnamese China, or Laotian China border during this war?

Please accept my complements on your beautiful model and my admiration for your great skills in this hobby. Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to receiving your reply.

Respectfully,

Geoff Hays, Former historian at the USAF Museum

Edited by Geoff Hays

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for your encouragement, guys!

Now this Farmer has been published on the current issue of Air Modeller magazine, and I hope you could enjoy it from paper base, too. :)

air-current-cover.jpg

air-current-2.jpg

Also, the resin copies of the PLA pilot figure have been successfully finished and I'm now preparing for the instruction sheet and packages.

Hope you could like it!

5342672820110131001153025.jpg

5342672820110131001131033.jpg

Thanks for watching and your attention!

Cheers,

Yufei

Fantastic work, an artform truly!

I'm going to be fabricating the tail boom of an Alouette II out of brass wire/rod and was wondering how best the join it, probably CA. What did you use the join the ladder with?

Thank you so much for your encouragement, guys!

Now this Farmer has been published on the current issue of Air Modeller magazine, and I hope you could enjoy it from paper base, too. :)

air-current-cover.jpg

air-current-2.jpg

Also, the resin copies of the PLA pilot figure have been successfully finished and I'm now preparing for the instruction sheet and packages.

Hope you could like it!

5342672820110131001153025.jpg

5342672820110131001131033.jpg

Thanks for watching and your attention!

Cheers,

Yufei

Yufei

Congratulations on being published. I'll hunt down a copy.

Cheers

Geoff Hays