Buccaneer S1

Andrew Jones

Decided I must make the effort and get this one started, especially after all the work Mark has put into setting up the GB. So here we are , its going to be an S1 of 801 NAS on Ark Royal during the shakedown cruise, I am going to build this Buccaneer in a clean condition, no stores or tanks ,since that's what most of the photos show. I have got the Eduard external set and the Airwaves cockpit set ,along with a long hoarded Maintrack S1 conversion. I don't know how much of the Eduard set I'm going to use, as some of it is probably not relevant to the S1.

buccaneer002.jpg

I have made a start on the cockpit , adding the Airwaves photo-etch, and have fitted the flat bomb bay door from the maintrack conversion, I also need to find some Martin Baker Mk4 seats for the cockpit to replace the kit's Mk6's.

buccaneer003.jpg

buccaneer004.jpg

Got a bit more done on the "pit" today, added some detailing from plastic strip and copper and brass wire, gives a busy look to it.

bucc001.jpg

After a coat of Dark Sea Grey, a dark wash, a splash of colour here and there and a Medium Sea Grey drybrush , the cockpit is looking much better than that supplied by Airfix, [ well, good enough for me anyway ].

bucc002.jpg

I've got the fuselage together after a bit of a fight, so butchery time. Off come the old intakes , have added a couple of plastic card bulkheads and blanking plates to add a bit of rigidity and give some extra area for the new intakes to bond onto.

bucc2001.jpg

bucc2002.jpg

The new S1 intakes are now added using a five minute epoxy to give a strong bond to the heavy resin items and milliput has been used to fill any gaps.

bucc2003.jpg

I love the way you have updated the kit's cockpit without resorting to a resin aftermarket set.

Thanks guys, I'm basically too much of a tight-wad to buy a resin cockpit if I can get away without it .

buccaneer003.jpg

I'm using this set on mine too (also a tightwad, lol). Is is me (i.e. I've done it wrong), or is the L shaped piece on the left hand side of the pilots inst panel meant to be completely obscured by the front piece of the LHS console?

I do love the rest of the detailing you've done in there. I've added a few extra scratchbuilt parts to the side walls but lacked any decent picks of the rear walls....until now

• 2 weeks later...

Looking really smooth Andrew, great work so far.

I am curious, did your tail fin fit well? The front of the fin fillet (where it meets the upper fuselage 'spine' section) on my kits is very narrow, about half the width it should be, was this the same for you?

cheers,

Pappy

Looking really smooth Andrew, great work so far.

I am curious, did your tail fin fit well? The front of the fin fillet (where it meets the upper fuselage 'spine' section) on my kits is very narrow, about half the width it should be, was this the same for you?

cheers,

Pappy

Yes my tailfin was narrow as well, needed a bit of fetling and filling to match it up, if I'd realised beforehand I would have put a fillet in to spread the forwards part of the fin but it was too late.

Yes my tailfin was narrow as well, needed a bit of fetling and filling to match it up, if I'd realised beforehand I would have put a fillet in to spread the forwards part of the fin but it was too late.

tip noted! thanks andy

Started to put the decals on , makes a world of difference to the looks, breaks the vast area of white up.

bucc2001-1.jpg

Have also done some work on the wheelbays and undercarriage, have painted bays and interiors of the airbrakes with Interior Grey Green, not sure if this is correct, but MarkMarples photos show interior green under the paint on the airbrakes on the S1. It looks about right compared to photos of the S1 on Ark Royal's 801 NAS Buccaneer shake down cruise, perthaps not quite dark enough ,but should look better with a dark wash.

bucc2002-1.jpg