Models Plus - 3 Story Apartment Block

Damocles

This is just a quick review of the 'Dioramas Plus' 3 Story Apartment Block (DP12), out of the box and unassembled.

This is a 1/35 scale 'Hydrocal' cast product by American company' Dioramas Plus, and I got it from John of Cove Models, Farnborough. I had seen these via a link on 'Armourama', but the price, high postage costs and potential import costs had put me off, and then I came across Cove Models whilst searching for soemthing which I cannot remember, as I clearly got side-tracked. Kit Cost cost £28.50 + £2.25 P&P

The kit depicts a 3 story apartment block, which is damaged after what looks like a significant pounding. The kit will certainly provide a basis for any middle east / African diorama from the 70's onwards.

1st impression is of a sturdy and well packed box, with nice photo of the finished product. Internally, the protective packaging is plentiful and carefully done.

Kit contents includes separate wall sections, balcony section, bag of rubble, laser cut 'shattered' glass, a length of wire for the damaged 're-bar' and superb 8 page colour and B&W instructions. There is also a section of black board provided for a flat roof or internal walls/floors. Some more board would be required if you wish to model a complete internal structure, but standard foam mounting board would certainly to the trick.

The casting is excellent, with clear and defined detail in the 'Hydrocal' plaster (only apparent cleaning up will be some cutting back of flash around the internal face of the window reveals). Although the casting feels strong, it should still be treated with care as I am sure it wouldn't take much to break. There were a few chips/broken sections, but I would stress that these where minimal (and to be honest, a lot less than expected given the material) and will be very easy to fix, and in some places added to the 'damaged' look.

Overall impression is of a very well made and packed kit, which due to its size has loads of potential for development and expansion. 10/10 for Dioramas Plus' and Cove Models for an excellent speedily service. (I also got the DP7 'Apartment Ruins', DP9 'Cornered' and DP8 'Rubble & Bricks', which are of equal quality as this).

Some pictures below.

DP12-01.jpg

DP12-02.jpg

DP12-03.jpg

DP12-05.jpg

DP12-06.jpg

DP12-04.jpg

DP12-07.jpg

DP12-08.jpg

Chris.