Spitfire Mk VIII and Mk IX Differences

andrewfl290

I want to build my Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX as a Mk VIII. You may be wondering why with the advent of the Tamiya Mk VIII, well I have the PCM IXc that I am finishing as Lady Ellen III and I don't want 2 Mk IX Spits....or do I? Anyhow I also have the Grey Nurse decals from the controversial Aero Imageworks that I want to use. I could buy the Mk VIII kit but that is a little extravagant so a simple conversion seems the logical option.

My references tell me that the VIII initially entered service with the early rudder but the majority were fitted with the pointed rudder, the C wing was standard and again early aircraft had the high altitude wing. The Volkes Aero-Vee filter was fitted as standard and of course the retracting tail wheel. The aircraft I wish to model has the pointed rudder and standard wing.

So as far as I can tell the only modification I need to make to the kit is to fit a retracting tail wheel.

Does anyone know differently?

Andrew

Now you've done it; early VIIIs probably had the same wide-blistered gun doors of the Vc & IXc, since plans were that it should carry up to 4 guns in each wing, in various combinations. From 15-12-43, they had a twin-blistered door, a la 21-24 series; even as late as mid-1944 there were still plans to fit 4 short-barrelled Mk.V Hispanos in the bays. When they gave up the idea, and went over to the late-IX style cover is not known (to me, anyway) at present.

From drawings, and photos, that I've just discovered, the amber downward-shining fuselage light was moved back to aft of frame 15; Tamiya have obviously done their research better than I did, and provide the hole, already (it was the cause of all sorts of guesswork, on various websites.) Initially, VIIIs had green and red downward-shining lamps outboard of the no.4 guns (Tamiya provide flashed-over holes,) but these were deleted from 1-5-43 (that's May 1st., for our trans-Atlantic cousins.)

The "Mk.XII" rudder was introduced from 7-2-44, so, when it arrived in Australia is anyone's guess; without a photo, it's "prove me wrong" time, so go with what you have.

All VIIIs appear to have had the 4-spoke wheels, but the plain covers will "cover" any problems in that area.

The box-type gyro gunsight is doubtful, for your model; the throttle quadrant needed modification, before it could be employed.

Edgar

From drawings, and photos, that I've just discovered, the amber downward-shining fuselage light was moved back to aft of frame 15; , Initially, VIIIs had green and red downward-shining lamps outboard of the no.4 guns (Tamiya provide flashed-over holes,) but these were deleted from 1-5-43

Looks like my models need modding-any more details of exact position of the wing lights Edgar?- diagram pretty please.

And were the red and greens in conjunction with the amber or instead of?

Ta

Happy modelling

Groucho

didn't the mk VIII's have the short span ailerons as well?

I knew I'd forget something

:doh:

I also forgot the wing fuel tanks (they're in the Tamiya VIII,) but, with the filling/smoothing process, by 1943, it's doubtful if anything, apart from the filler points, would have been visible.

Looks like my models need modding-any more details of exact position of the wing lights Edgar?- diagram pretty please.

A rub of the lamp, and.........

VIIIextendedwingGA.jpg

The pilot could use all three of the lights singly, or in combinations.

Note how that drawing denotes cannon bays, confirming the plan for two in each wing; apparently there's a photo of (one of ) Caldwell's VIII, with four cannon.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

apparently there's a photo of (one of ) Caldwell's VIII, with four cannon.

Edgar

Hi Edgar

I think its a pic of Gibbes Mk VIII in Australia - with 4 cannons and the extended wing tips - apparently used for Anti "Dinah" missions. Its towards the back of the Osprey late marque Spit aces book

cheers

Jonners

Hi Edgar

I think its a pic of Gibbes Mk VIII in Australia - with 4 cannons and the extended wing tips - apparently used for Anti "Dinah" missions. Its towards the back of the Osprey late marque Spit aces book

I thangyew