Airfix 1/72 Saab Draken

spitfire23bc

Here's my offering: the Saab Draken. It's a basic kit, but looks to build up into a fairly nice model without too much aggro. Aside from the missing nose cone :rant: At least the milliput will double up as a nose-weight.

For the record, I won't be using the QUICK DRY acrylic paint (although, come 10pm on Sunday, when it's still a sticky, painty mess, I might wish I had done...).

Dan

IMG_8793.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

Edited by spitfire23bc

Right, here's the state of play at lunchtime: I got the fuselage together very quickly so I could mould a nose cone; now I'm waiting for that to set, along with a little putty where needed. A bit of sanding to do, and a few more little gluing jobs, and I reckon I could start painting the top surface after lunch. Munitions and undercarriage to paint, too. The canopy has been Kleared and is waiting on the (very few) details in the cockpit (ie: the seat and a lick of paint here and there).

This is going together beautifully at the moment; thoroughly enjoying it!

Dan

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_8799.jpg

Hit something of a setback due to my inability to create a decent finish with an airbrush. The process is going something like:

Paint

Realise I've just put down a layer of dry paint dust

Clean model

Dial down the pressure

Paint

Same problem

Clean model

Have dinner

I'll have another stab at it after I've eaten.

Dan

Edit: None of this was helped by the fact that the first paint I used was totally the wrong colour! :doh:

Edited by spitfire23bc

I've got about another 2 hours before my first 12 hours are up. I've managed to get an ok finish of the first colour on the top surface (along with an accidental pre-shade). I got impatient and masked off and sprayed the silver underneath, which should let me do some fun shading on that tomorrow. Undercarriage is on its way to being done, with the obligatory strut getting snapped :rolleyes: A bit of CA will fix that.

I made some crude seatbelts from tape; I don't think it'll be too easy to see inside the pit.

I was really hoping the milliput would be sandable by now, but it looks like that will have to wait until tomorrow. I can't finish the painting on either surface until the nose cone is the right shape, so here's hoping that doesn't take too long...

Dan

IMG_8801.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8804.jpg

Right, I'm going to call it a night. I've finished the undercarriage, painted the interior halves of the doors, finished painting the bombs and touched up a little of the paintwork on the canopy.

I'll be picking this up again tomorrow afternoon (which won't give me the full 24 hours, but never mind).

Dan

Well, here's where I am so far this afternoon: Some shading done to the silver underneath, nose cone sanded back so it's roughly the right shape (probably as good as I'm going to get it), and a coat of green on the top surface. Time for an update while I'm waiting on the paint to dry. Still got the underneath and the nose to paint, and the decalling to do. Might be a tall order to get it done by the end of today... Keep pressing on.

Dan

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

IMG_8807.jpg

Thanks Micha, although what you're seeing is more a result of luck than skill!

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. There's not much more to do, but at this stage I'm getting more and more likely to end up putting a fingerprint somewhere. I have thoroughly enjoyed this though and feel like my mojo is on its way back! :)

(Could someone move this thread to the WIP section, please?)

Here's the Draken at end of play today, needing the nose cone painted, some Klear, decals and little greebly bits stuck on:

IMG_8810.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• 8 months later...

what colour did you use for the blue grey, is it hu 87 , i use that for some of my vulcans in 60s camo and xh558 as it give that colour perfect i find, and looks different in differnt lights of course it would but i find it an amazing shade as it can look very different, sometimes looks dark gery other times pale, sometimes like standard gery and other times blueish, ive still not finished my draken 3 or 4 years on, sad really,

what colour did you use for the blue grey, is it hu 87 , i use that for some of my vulcans in 60s camo and xh558 as it give that colour perfect i find, and looks different in differnt lights of course it would but i find it an amazing shade as it can look very different, sometimes looks dark gery other times pale, sometimes like standard gery and other times blueish, ive still not finished my draken 3 or 4 years on, sad really,

Hi robvulcan, yes it is Humbrol 87. The instructions tell you to use 123, but that seemed way too dark to me when I looked at some photos. I honestly think it's the first time I've used that paint; most of my models are WWII-era, European Theatre, where that particular shade of blue didn't seem to get a look in!

Dan

thanks matey, well i got some of that so i may paint my draken this weekend, ive been toying with doing a ficticious raf one, but i do like the original colours. cheers rob nice draken by the way and great rescue on the nose, that will help me rescue my typhoon, its nose got screwed sadly, ta rob