1/72 Academy Fw 190 D-9

rowmk9

My effort for the blitzbuild will be Academy's nice Dora kit. I've built a few before and they are nice and simple builds. Most of the work will be in the painting.

p1050707.jpg

The kit!

p1050708v.jpg

I'm not doing a Papagei Staffel scheme, I'll be using some Sky Decals and doing Ofw. Werner Zech's machine in March 1945.

p1050709.jpg

I like the bluey-green underside colour on some of the late war aircraft, so that's why I'm doing this one.

Edited by rowmk9

I do like the red underside of the box art scheme too, but to my eyes it looks like a good few more hours of masking and painting to get it right, so it might be a squeeze to get it all done in 24hrs. So thats for another Dora, on another day...

I do like the red underside of the box art scheme too, but to my eyes it looks like a good few more hours of masking and painting to get it right, so it might be a squeeze to get it all done in 24hrs. So thats for another Dora, on another day...

You have just given me an idea for my entry, im sure my local model shop still had one of these in stock.

Here's the start of my build. hoping to get it all done and dusted by 11:59pm Saturday.

p1050722e.jpg

I'm going to see how much I can do tonight before falling asleep. then blitz it tomorrow when I wake up (well...it is the blitz build) :P

Cockpit painting pretty much done. not gonna go mental with reds and blues, its not a starship. plus, I've not got time!

p1050724t.jpg

I have added some masking tape seatbelts however. just because...because.

Five and a smidge hours of sleep and I'm back on the horse.

just been prepping the other bits of the kit prior to painting, and downloading a snazzy screensaver clock to keep a better eye on the time. Sorry for the wide shot, i'll get more detailed shots as I add more...uh, detail

p1050728h.jpg

Cheers mish and CpnGroats. this is the first time i've ever tried to build one in 24hrs, so building as fast as I can to leave room for mistakes

next update, v. rough preshading done, next stage, first bit of paint. oh and the front canopy is in place and masked off.

p1050729.jpg

A quarter to NEIN!

p1050730c.jpg

Light blue/green lower surfaces on. Also the bare aluminium panels have been masked off and painted as well. I've switched to my alarm clock, so I can get closer in to the model, I think its one minute fast...

p1050732u.jpg

Just used lifecolor paints for the topside camo, not entirely convinced with their RLM 81 Braunviolet (the darker shade in the pic). To me it looks like a weathered RLM83, so I used it as such. Maybe they got the label wrong on my pot?

Anyway, wings and elevators done, now lunch, F1, touchups and the fuselage.

p1050734o.jpg

Most of the decals are on now, bar stencils. Annoying thing was the kit decals and aftermarket ones didn't come with black balkenkreuz's for the fuselage side, and I only had white spare ones. I'm debating wether to mask them off and spray them black.

p1050736j.jpg

I decided to mask over and paint the fuselage balkenkreuz's black. looks much better imo.

also the propellor is done and all the stencils i can be bothered with. pretty much weathering stage now.

p1050737h.jpg

Thanks FalkeEins, scheme is not the busiest on this dora, which has helped.