USAAF Europe, 1942-1945 GB

Please count me in. Probably with something fairly small as I've applied to staff at an Air Cadet summer camp again next summer and I don't think it would be practical to take a build with me, so my building time will likely be end of August/September only. Most likely I'll do a Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Thunderbolt...

Edited by Sabre_days

Quick question about the rules, if I may: Am I correct in guessing that North Africa does not count, but Italy and Corsica do? Or is it just the European Theater of Operations proper and not the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (nothing south of the Italian Alps), or anywhere in the ETO or MTO as part of the broader European conflict despite some of the fighting not actually having been in Europe? :huh:

Edited by Sabre_days

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard to all of you. Updated list of participants:

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Wellzy

Erwin

Jazzy Jase

maltadefender

Enzo Matrix

Phil B

Daz Greenwood

Mentalguru

CPNGROATS

rowmk9

Mish

Doug Rogers

khimbar

MadNurseGaz

robw_uk

grufsnik

Potato Pete

red glen

mrcooljules

Graham77

Peter O

dahut

smuts

Paul J

slufdriver

woody37

Chris Jephcott

sunshine coast

Smiffy

AndyC

nigec

Basosz

lancfan

Sabre_days

erikmuntz

As for the area this GB will cover, North Africa is not covered, but what do others think about southern Europe? I had planned to limit it purely to the European Theater, but would you prefer it to be opened out to include the Med?

As for the area this GB will cover, North Africa is not covered, but what do others think about southern Europe? I had planned to limit it purely to the European Theater, but would you prefer it to be opened out to include the Med?

I would like to see it limited toEurope and the Med in so much as southern France, Italy and the Balklands is included

Jeff and I, Did say at the beging this was for the ETO but as many units did fly in to Germany from Southern Europe

so think that sould be ok. So I make that 8th and 9th out of the ETO and 12th and 15 th out of mto from the end of

1943 , At that time the 12th and 15th where operating out of Southern Italy.

wellzy :headphones:

Edited by wellzy

Jeff and I, Did say at the beging this was for the ETO but as many units did fly in to Germany from Southern Europe

so think that sould be ok. So I make that 8th and 9th out of the ETO and 12th and 15 th out of mto from the end of

1943 , At that time the 12th and 15th where operating out of Southrrn Italy.

That sounds good to me. Assuming no-one complains, we'll use these as the criteria for the GB.

Erik, I've added you to the list in the post above, and welcome aboard.

1943 , At that time the 12th and 15th where operating out of Southern Italy.

That sounds good to me. Assuming no-one complains, we'll use these as the criteria for the GB.

Sounds good to me. Just the ETO would have been fine, but I agree with including MTO units operating out of southern Italy and Corsica given the overlap you mentioned and the fact that it is in Europe. The main reason I asked was that I bought Rising Decals' "Thunderbolts Over Corsica" 57th FG decal sheet with this GB in mind, though I haven't entirely settled on which scheme(s) I want to enter for the P-47D...

Also, if Airfix's new tooling P-51D is available by the time I enter the GB, I'll do one as Lt. R. J. Farney's "Crogan's Cruiser"/"Waverly Democrat" (44-14827 / E2-V). And in the event that I'm not out of town for the summer, I'll do a specific B-17F, but I'll keep it under wraps for now which one (and haven't decided if that would be the Academy kit or a backdate of the Revell Germany/Pro Modeler kit).

Edited by Sabre_days

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just a heads up ,only five months to go, start dusting off those B17`s P51 etc or it could be a Spitfire or Tiger Moth

the list is very long.Dont forget the 4th July.

Welcome aboard.

The current list is:

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Wellzy

Erwin

Jazzy Jase

maltadefender

Enzo Matrix

Phil B

Daz Greenwood

Mentalguru

CPNGROATS

rowmk9

Mish

Doug Rogers

khimbar

MadNurseGaz

robw_uk

grufsnik

Potato Pete

red glen

mrcooljules

Graham77

Peter O

dahut

smuts

Paul J

slufdriver

woody37

Chris Jephcott

sunshine coast

Smiffy

AndyC

nigec

Basosz

lancfan

Sabre_days

erikmuntz

Thundergrunt

racedees

mungo1974

I still can't decide what to do for this GB.

At the mo, I'm leaning toward a diorama featuring a pair of 78 FG Mustangs, but I also quite fancy doing a Marauder, or an A-26.

I've got a few of those Kits world decal sheets too, so a B-17 wouldn't be out of the question either.

Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

Can i play too?

Being a East Anglian lad i've had a interest "Friendly Invasion" for aslong as i can remember.

After many months of deliberation and reading reviews both good and bad i picked up a RoG 1/72 B-17G....i blame watching 'The War Lover' & 'Memphis Belle' on TV yesterday and the recently finished Fortress III on BM.

Although mine wont have anywhere near the PE he invested in his masterpiece!.

Looking at the sprue's it seems a nice kit,although ive not build 1/72 in years...actually brought back memories as a kid when i had my own Combat Box formation of B-17E/F/G's hanging from my bedroom ceiling along with Little Friends and Luftwaffe bad guys.

I have to say this RoG kit is lightyears ahead of those old Frog/Revell/Airfix/Matchbox Forts i built back then.

Cheers,

Gary

Well I'm going to do 'Little Miss Mischief', but not using the Kits World decals as my research has found that they are incomplete and the artwork shall I say, wanting. So I'm going with the Cutting Edge decals, they're gonna cost me a bit but I'd rather go with some accurate decals and artwork.