Embraer 170 Alitalia colours

Whirly

Hi,

just purchased the new hasegawa kit a few days ago, thought this was a good excuse to start it immediately! :winkgrin:

Will do in Alitalia cs with the just released TwoSix decals. For a start here is the box top and a shot of the sprues and kit decals.

SDC11053-1.jpg

SDC11055.jpg

The belly fairing is exquisitely detailed :Tasty:

SDC11057.jpg

SDC11058.jpg

SDC11054-1.jpg

The decals by the way are very nice and will come useful for the stenciling.

SDC11060.jpg

That's it for now!

Cheers

Fabio

Thanks Keefr22

I went on one of the first flight's of Flybe's 195s (as I now know they are), a couple of year's back. The Captain kept telling us that this was a brand new plane, the first in service anywhere in the world, less than a week old etc etc. He was obviously very proud, but all it did for us passangers was to make us feeling ever so slighty nervous!

Cliff

Nice, I hear it is a tad on the expensive side. Did you find this Fabio?

In absolute terms, YES: I purchased it in Japan for about 22 euros shipping included, but I had to pay 10 euros more to the thieves at italian Customs...

Anyway it cost less than the Authentic Airliners resin kit and it just falls together.

I'll post some update this evening or tomorrow.

Fabio

Ok, here is some progress.

First the nice balancing weight included in the box :speak_cool:

SDC11061.jpg

You simply have to screw inside the bulkhead and place it in the front fuselage (fit is perfect).

SDC11062.jpg

Then I glued the fuselage halves with Tamiya extra-thin cement: no warps of any kind and the two halves just clicked together. I only clamped the fin just to be sure.

SDC11063.jpg

In my rush I stupidly forgot to paint the inside of the APU exhaust so I worked with a thin brush near the opening and pushed a small bit of Kleenex soaked with black acrylic paint to block the view from behind in the empty fuselage.

SDC11065.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the wings: the winglets are quite thick (I evidenced the leading edge with a black marker) so I worked with sanding sticks to make them thinner, just a few minutes work.

SDC11068.jpg

Last one for now is painting of the main wheel-wells, which are empty but at least well enclosed.

SDC11067.jpg

Looking at detail photos of an E195 the colour seem a beige primer as seen also on the ERJ and many French aircraft, though now I'm finding some blurry images where it seems the wells are some kind of gray or metal... :hmmm:

Anyone has some hints?

It does look very nice. But I do wish they'd include clear flightdeck windows. I can live with decal cabin windows, but I won't buy this because I'm getting fed up with having to cut out & glaze the flightdecks! Penny pinching on a kit of this price...... :angry:

/grumpy mode/off :D

Keef

<nerd>

Tch. Just for reference, Keef - you'll get better results in html by using <grumpy>....</grumpy> tags.

</nerd>

It wasn't html. I just made it up.....!!! ;) (25 years in programing left me fed up of using 'proper' coding!!)

Keef

Looking good Fabio - nice save on the APU

Thanks mitchem,

it's a frequent mistake in my airliner builds, this time I was lucky to have a backdoor entrance :smartass:

And now a small update on the wheelwells: I added some structures visible in the walkaround on AirlinerCafe.

SDC11083.jpg

SDC11088.jpg

I investigated further the color to use and, you guess, the answer is not so easy: It seems the base color is white and grey but some areas are sprayed with a waxy anti-corrosion compound which explains the beige tint, thanks to Wild Weasel V on ARC for the explanation.

I'll see later how to get this appearance.

Finally I drilled the landing lights which Hasegawa quietly forgot...

SDC11082.jpg

They are admittedly VERY small but a small decal would have been a nice touch!

@Keef: I agree regarding the transparent windscreen, though you must consider that even in 1/144 (not 1/200 like other Hasegawa liners) the cabin is tiny and any injected part would be too thick and toylike. I think the only option is making a female mould of the windscreen area and moulding a vac replacement :banghead:

Some more progress...

The wing flaps are in three sections and the fairing at the root reflects this, so I engraved the kit part accordingly.

SDC11085.jpg

Before moving to other parts, be warned that the E170/175 and the E190/195 are not identical in this aspect and I nearly proceeded to add the wing root fillet which is visible in the E190 walkaround when I found that actually the E170 has nothing there, so the kit is correct as is! :tapedshut:

E190

Then I assembled the outer wing panels, everything ok, just a little Surface Primer to disguise the joints...

SDC11069.jpg

I painted the wheelwells a very light gray and attached the wingfairing to the fuselage, just would have liked white plastic for this part, it'll be fun covering with paint :angrysoapbox.sml:

It's a good idea to clamp lightly the rear join to avoid a small step to be filled where there are many delicate panel lines.

The main wings also went in place with no problems, only try a few dry fits as the pieces are so precise that the smallest mould imperfection can throw them out of alignment.

SDC11089.jpg

The complex joint on the underside requires some Surface Primer and filler putty, hope to not destroy the fine details here...

SDC11091.jpg

Finally I added the small intake at the base of the fin: I couldn't figure how to fit it right, so small it is, but it just fell in place at the first try, lucky one!

SDC11090.jpg

Bye

Fabio

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm back :cheers:

First, my congratulations to all the group builders who completed their models in time, especially to the winners: I'm glad one of them took my vote :)

I just wanted to say that my build is not forgotten, have just been busy with my daily job and family (what a surprise) so I did very little progress since last month.

I'm determined to finish anyway this model and was wondering if more images should be posted here or a new thread opened in the Work in Progress section.

Bye

Fabio

since the gb is done now I put new pics in the WIP section

Ghana a/w is nearly done and I'm planning on my sas md80 for the competition at Telford

pics will go in wip