Italeri C-130A - 36SQN RAAF

The RAAF operated 12 C-130A aircraft from the mid to late 50s to the late 70s. These were replaced by C-130H aircraft. The C-130As were operated by 36SQN which currently operates 4 Boeing C-17As.

This is the Italeri C-130H kit back dated it to a C-130A. Mods include adding a 4th cabin window after of the existing forward set of 3 windows, scribing a forward cargo door, reducing the size of the 'duck tail', smaller outboard fuel tanks (from OzMods set) and 3 bladed props (from OzMods set). HF antenna wires made form EziLine. Finished in Testors Model Master Metalics and decals from Aussie Decal.

I stuggled with this one but am happy it is finished.

C-130A_17.jpg

C-130A_01.jpg

C-130A_03.jpg

C-130A_06.jpg

C-130A_07.jpg

C-130A_10.jpg

Very nice, Ray! I like the different look of the 3-blade propellers.

I have the Italeri kit in my stash, but i think the reason we don't see more of them built is because of the issues presented by just the sheer size of the thing. Plus all the work painting those propellers, etc...

Cheers,

david

Thanks guys, Yes it is a pity these kits are so big!

I am a sucker for punishment and have a few more to build:

RAAF C-130H

RAAF C-130J-30

RAF C-130K

Lockheed HTTB

USAF/USN LC-130

USAF AC-130H

USAF AC-130U

USMC KC-130J

There are some nice decals out there for C-130s. I would like to see a new kit with scribed detail. But until then I will have to put up with the raised detail on the Italeri and (early)Airfix kit.

Who knows where I will put them though :D

An really beautiful build Ray. Aussie decals always said they were going to upscale their early Herc model sheet to 48 scale but never have, mores the pity, would love to do one with the big day-glo panels. Will be using your build as reference when I do mine

Bruce

Thanks very much every one! :cheers:

I am now planning my next C-130 build, it is very satisfying to finish something like this after all the problems I had with it.

Stay tuned for the next one :D

Edited by TrojanThunder

G'day Bud,

Wow a NMF Herc!

Wonderful work Ray. Me like alot.

Have you the space for all these builds/future builds?

Bit like me with my C-17's, B-36's, B-1B's etc (Dream on Eh!)

Adrian

This one is going to and Ex 36SQN Loadmaster. I built is on request by another club member (now GPCPT RAAF Reserve) who used to fly with him at 36SQN .

I realised I have another 7 C-130 kits, along with about 4 E-3s and and other 4 KC-135s plus the C-17 (and a B-36).

Glad we had a sunroom added to the house last year. I think there are going to be some wide shelves added in there soon to display these monsters :D

I also got back into the C-17 over the weekend with renewed interest. Some progress may be reported soon.

I also got back into the C-17 over the weekend with renewed interest. Some progress may be reported soon.

Ooh you tease Ray.

Look forward to that.

I manged to photo-copy some of the kit parts (double) to get some shape/size/proportions with my one.

The engines as we know are so wrong in frontal shape/profile (well alot of the kit ain't too good either)

but I was pleased with the copying of these parts.

It has also helped with other panel detail.

Good luck bud! One day we will have a 72nd 17 finished :analintruder:

Adrian