Help required regarding funnel guards!

Alfisti

Wondering if anyone out there can help me depict funnel guards for the Trumpeter 1:700 HMS Hood.I'm attempting to build this for a friend's 60th birthday,and I don't usually build ship models,and I've hit a stumbling block.I've got a GM etch set,but I've gone and totally screwed up one of the funnel guards,pesky little things.Is there another method I could use to depict these,or should I just stick with the kit supplied item?Any other hints and tips on using this etch,especially the cranes and aircraft catapult,they look quite daunting.

TIA...........Dave.

I made the Repulse a couple of years ago and used the etch stuff for that, although I used a steel ruler and a metal block to bend my metal stuff there is on the market a proper bending tool for finer items, you really must make sure that you cut the photo etch metal with a sharp blade on a suitable surface such as a tile or hard metal surface.... NOT A CUTTING MAT as this is to soft and will make the etch metal bend where you don't want it, although the cutting mat is ideal if you want to curve the etch metal using a rounded tool

Edited by kev67

Cheers Kev,cut the funnel guard out OK,but it was like trying to tame a spider,messed it up trying to shape it.Thinking I'll have to go down the stretched sprue or fuse wire route,ah well.

Dave.

Edited by Alfisti

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly,about 15 mins per funnel,with the help of a mini sander to reduce the underside,then a new scalpel blade to thin down as much as I dared,(did make me sweat a bit,especially when the blade had a mind of its own!)the grid pattern.Not as fine as etch pieces,but I'm happy(ish!) with it,and it does'nt look too bad once painted.

B) .........Dave.