Flagons' Folly

Flagon

Okay, here we go! I have had this kit for a number of years and with the forthcomming Trumpy Bucc this kit will be redundant, and hopefully with the encouragement of this group build I will be able to at last build this kit, I had been saving it for a special occasion and this must be it :cheers:

First the box shots

051116.jpg

051230.jpg

051236.jpg

The box is a little rough, but everything in it seems fine, I think I will work through this in sub assembleis to make it easier and that way I can treat each on as its own model, Alot of areas will need to be rescribed and details added. I shoud add as well that while I intend to do extra detailing, If I start getting to the point of obsessing too much about every littl nut or bolt, it is a sign to move on from that. Hopefully this will keep me from too many road blocks or builders blocks during the building of this.

Edited by Flagon

:analintruder: just seen this post,i will be following this one !!!

massive kit to be chopping up,but like you say ,will be redundant if trumpy come up trumps!! (i was scratchbuilding one which has been shelved till further notice)

decal sheet seems a bit sparse ,with not too many stencils to cover such a large area ,resin parts seem well moulded from what i can see ,any chance of some close ups?

good luck with the build ,no doubt you will finish this before i finish my airfix buccy!!

hi its not my thread,but my kit was no 9 the parts arnt too bad considering ,the decals are nice but as you say not too many but thats all part of a ltd kit you cant really expect tamiya standards and this kit was made a good few years ago

im really hoping trump make one ,dying to make a gulf war bucc and tornado diorama

After a plesant day working on the Bucc, this is where I managed to get to; got the verticle tail together but when trying to alighn the resin fin tip I just could not be certain that everything would be correct later on when I added it to the fuselage, so I decided that I would go all in and get the heavy construction out of the way now. This way I will be able to check fit and alighnments aginst the fuselage, I outlined the fuselage halfs with a Sharpie and then cut them out by scribing around them with an X-Acto knife held at about a 45' angle to the part. This effectively reduces the amount of plastic you have to sand off the edge of the part,

192336.jpg

As you can see all that remains for sanding is just a thing strip of plastic, I learned this from Bill Koster many years ago and works really well. I was really surprised at how thin the plastic in the kit was, especially on the large fuselarge halves. Even though bulkheads are provided, these seemed to be less that adequite for the size of this beast and the subsquent handling it will be subjected to during construction, so I decided to add a keel to the fuselage to further streaghten it. After the fuse halfs were sanded, I traced their outline onto some spare sheet plastic and then cut out the keel pieces and sanded them till they just dropped into the fuselage; this is important as you do not want to force these in and distort the fuselage shape.

201732.jpg

The kit supplied bulkheads were added to the fuselage, then the keel pieces were cut to fit between them and superglued into place. I prefer superglue as it will give a good bond and will not soften the plastic as solvent glues will, sometimes leaving a "ghost" of the bulkhead on the outside of the parts.

203625.jpg

The keel piece has not beed added between the rear bulkheads yet as there are a couple cutouts to be made in the lower area and I will have to fit the keel piece around that, but at least everything lines up so far.

203957.jpg

Yeah, this thing is rather huge :thumbsup: While I am now fussing with the fuselage I need to decide if I have the speed brakes open or closed.......opinions on this welcomed; I haven't really decided which would be best to display them,

Flagon.

I'm super excited to see this here on the GB Flagon! This really is special and I think it will really add to the overall appeal of the GB in a significant way. Thanks for taking the plunge to actually build this ultra rare bird here for all of us to see.

You seem to be off to a good start. As for the open or closed airbrakes, it really depends on how you want to display it in the end - in flight, taxying etc. would likely be closed, but parked Buccs most often had them open. I would think the size of this 1/32 project would dictate that they be open just to have the extra inch or two of shelf space. Perhaps, you should base you decision on the difficulty of an open or closed display. I know from experience that it is actually easier to do the Airfix 1/48 Bucc with open petals as not everything lines up nicely when trying to do them closed. As for accuracy, you really could go either way except maybe an FAA example all folded up for storage.

Thanks for sharing this - Jack

hello flagon,id go for opening it up.

if i may say watch your openings for the wings,i remember the original kit builder having to put a spar across to support the weight of them with the metal wheels,if that helps.

ive got a couple of engines to pop into mine .

i like the central brace idea.

Thank you all for the replies.......although some are a little intimidating. To be honest I have no real idea what the kit is worth, and it reall dosn't matter now! I would prefer to be one of the few who have built the kit than one of those who "have" the kit :cyclops: Since resin details are provided for the airbrakes, I think I will build them open and add whatever extra detail might be needed. This is a big project, so I am clearing up some smaller projects (long overdue to be finished) to allow more room for this on the bench. Again, I appericiate all your comments and support.

Flagon

• 4 weeks later...