Pak 44 - 12.8cm Anti-Tank Gun (1:35)

Mike

I've done the chipping, keeping it fairly light (hopefully). I've also added a bit of rust around the bolt heads that hold the shield spaced armour apart with Mig Abteilung oils, and rusted up the coil springs on the front bogie using a variety of Mig pigments. I still need to add the brake hoses using the supplied soft wire, but after that, it'll be off to the dust department, to add a sprayed layer of grime around the lower areas of the model.

chassis9.jpg

Thats a a nice restrained finish with the chipping Mike, sadly restraint is beyond me and I always overdo it :)

How do the filters work? Normally I add a wash, even a thin one and it imparts quite a heavy gloss and usually a yellow cast that looks awful under flourescent tubes! Are these Mig filters not oils or something?

Thanks Deon :)

You might have noticed that I also didn't apply a wash to this kit - I just didn't feel the need :shrug:

Filters are enamel based, so they should be used with acrylics. They're VERY dilute, but impart a slight change of hue to the underlying paint, as well as darkening it ever-so-slightly. You just shake them til your arm falls off, then dip a small flat brush into the liquid and draw it across a matt surface. It seems to spread out and merge brush strokes, so you don't have to be too careful, and it can give a model a bit more of a 3D look, rather than just a flat dark yellow with tiger stripes... at least that's what I hope it did! :lol:

I wouldn't say they're for EVERY model you make, but they do have a use for subtle adjustment of tone, and added visual interest in an indescribable way :wacko:

Nice work Mike.

It does look a little lonely, would look great in a dio, spent cases a few figures. You know you want to really.

O/T Did you ever continue any work on that French WW1 tank, or is it sat on the dusty shelf.

Cheers :)

It was finished ages ago - build thread here:

complete1.jpg

Cheers chap :)

I finished her off with a light dusting of Lifecolor UA 426 Olive Drab Greeb Tone as a basic dust covering, then used Mig dried mud pigment to dirty up the wheels and "feet" on the outriggers, with a big left around the ground spikes. I also painted the tops of the ground spikes with some untidy dark grey, with the hammering surface painted Citadel Boltgun Metal, then a small application of Mig standard rust pigment. I applied some Tamiya Smoke on the breach area, masking off the gunner controls, and again around the muzzle brake, to give the impression of cordite residue, without going too overboard... might have overdone it a tad, so sue me ;)

I wired up the brake system with some Tyndall fly-tying lead wire, as the supplied wire was a little inflexible, and while it looks quite shiny now, it will oxidise over time and become quite drab.

Anyway... here are the final pictures:

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

Conclusion

An enjoyable build of an unusual subject, and despite my concerns about the instructions looking initially complicated - especially looking at the addendum sheet, there weren't many instances where I scratched my head, and only then for a few seconds til my brain regained the plot. My only criticism is the lack of hollow parts if you want to leave your gun capable of elevating, but having built it, I'd probably use the kit parts for strength if I was building another one. I would imagine that with the Photo-Etch gun shield and turned barrel, you could improve the look somewhat, but I'm quite happy with mine out of the box. :)

Initial review here.

Review sample courtesy of: logo.jpg

• Like 1