Phantom FGR.2 228 OCU

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom FGR.2 in the markings of 228 OCU (64 Squadron Reserve). The aircraft, XT895, was one of at least three painted with blue tails on 228 OCU. The aircraft was flown in this scheme for the 1990 display season (it was the primary aircraft - its back up was XT900).

I'd always planned on doing it in 'taxiing mode' and therefore had to modify the US crew figures into something more representative of RAF equipped crews. On the subject of the cockpit, Aires seats were used. The kit was sprayed using Xtracrylix and weathered with oils. The nose wheel and rudder were also repositioned.

Decals came various sources including the Revell FGR.2 sheet (they include the smaller rescue arrow found very late in the FGR.2s life), Airdoc and of course the Hasegawa sheet. Modeldecal sheets were used to make up the crew names found on the canopy frame (Flt.Lt. Howard and Flt.Lt Marks -the display crew).

fgr21.jpg

fgr21a.jpg

fgr23.jpg

fgr24.jpg

fgr26.jpg

fgr25.jpg

Edited by TEZ

Veeeery Nice. :coolio: memories of an ATC summer camp in Leuchars come flooding back. :pipe:

I've got one in the stash planned for this very scheme, did you use the Hasegawa decals for the squadron markings?

TIA

Rich

Edited by Rich F

Superb Phantom mate, did you use any etch or was the chute housing scratched built? As you know I have plans for XT900 'CO' so I may start her once I get back and the Nationals are out of the way at Telford.

Lovely looking phantom. Which Airdoc sheet did you use as I've been asked to build one of these planes for someone at work but I can't seem to find a sheet that has the Scarab on it.

A wonderful build of a superb aircraft - only RAF Phantoms were real Phantoms, can't get enough of 'em

Ron

Thanks for all the comments. To answer your questions, the 228 OCU (64 Squadron Scarab) markings came from the original Hasegawa release (P16). The para-brake door details were made up from plasticard and simply punched through with a punch and die set.

Last three photos...

fgr21b.jpg

fgr21c.jpg

fgr21d.jpg

regards

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

Very nice build, especially like the positioning of the crew member with his arm resting on the side of the cockpit.

Andrew

Very nice done, congratulations. :thumbsup2:

A small point - I have the impression that the white marking on the wings make a harsh contrast to the gray. I would have toned them down a bit with some diluted colour. But it's just an impression, and I don't know the original, so maybe I'm wrong...

Alex

Thanks for all the comments. Alex, I was tempted to overspray the model and to add more weathering but in the end played safe. Maybe next time. Not sure what I'll be making next. Got plans to make another F-4 and Buccaneer for the relevant group builds.

Andrew