Hobbycraft Vampire

I usually build armour these days but occassionally dabble in other subjects. A friend who flys RC and likes de Havilland aircraft asked me if I could rescue a plastic kit of a Vampire he had bought and started. I of course agreed without knowing what I was letting myself in for. When I got my hands on the partially assembled model I recognised straight away that there was something very un-Vampirish about it. A quick Google gave me all the bad news!

On the assumption that something could be done with the styrene oddments I set to with my razor saw to convert the part assembled model back to a kit. I then made a list of things that needed doing, realised that I would be better scratchbuilding a Vampire and resorted to plan B, namely, do enough to make it resemble a Vampire.

To this end I identified the wings and intakes as the main areas to work on. I made a false rib for each wing root to act as a pattern for locating the dowels that would hold the wings and also fill in the materail lost when cutting off the wings. I reprofiled the wing roots to move the trailing edge forward, and added inserts to each wing to form the intakes.

Vamp3.jpg

I then stuck it all back together!

DSCF1577.jpg

With some additional cockpit detail - scratchbuilt seat, gunsight, and plumbing -, the nosewheel converted to anti-shimmy pattern, strakes added to the intakes, plus a coat of paint I got this -

DSCF1610.jpg

An MDF teapot stand was obtained to make a base, decals were applied and Voila!, not a Vampire!

P1010190.jpg

P1010187.jpg

P1010185.jpg