Trumpeters TU-22 M3 Backfire C

Hi everyone, well it's finally done after a rather lengthy lay up due to real life committments. This is the Trumpeter TU-22 M3 Backfire C variant of the long range Soviet swing wing nuclear penetration bomber still in service in parts of the CIS.The M3 is a heavily upgraded version of the earlier M2 Backfire B aircraft that was found to be deficient in many areas, including engines, intakes, weapons, avionics, range and stability. The result of all this revision was a virtually new aircraft .....the M3, (nicknamed Troika or 'trio'). For the build here's a link,

TU 22 M3 build

Basically it's a great kit...accurate in shape and crammed full of lovely detail. The only weak parts are the undercarriage wheels, (which must be replaced by the excellent Equipage resin and rubber set if you can get hold of them!), ejection seats which only bear a passing resemblence to the Backfires KT-1M's, (again replaced using the Neomega set) and the cockpit windshield which for some strange reason is the wrong shape, easily dealt with but a must do' if you want an accurate front end! as explained in the build thread. (There are a lot of tiny niggling things as usual but most folks won't be bothered about them to be honest)..I've left the Raduga Kh-22 missiles off the wing hard points mainly because they are innaccurate in shape, though Amodel now do some great IM ones!!) and I also feel that they are rather bulky and awkward looking on the model and I prefer the FAB 250 MER bomb packs anyway. The rortary launcher in the bombay rotates so each of the six KH-15's have to be finished off properly....

The decals are from the Authentic Decal pack 77-22(1) which includes markings for 9 aircraft.......but I just had to do the sharkmouthed machine of the 183 MRAP (183rd Naval Missile-carrying Aviation Regiment based at Kamenny Ruchey AB, in 2008, (Red 57)..................well it would be rude not to!!

More time was spent applying the decals than anything else...all 397 of them!!!!!! :hypnotised: :hypnotised: :hypnotised: ...and yes every single one is on there...some microscopic but I wanted it as accurate as humanly possible...

I must say that I've never spent so much time on a model as I have on this one finding more and more detail to add as times gone by. The build was really enjoyable though involved as was all the associated research, (always my favourite bit :hobbyhorse: ), the whole model going together very nicely...but beware...it's a large model when finished.

Can't praise Trumpy enough for this one ...........just hope they continue in this vein and do a decent TU-22 Blinder....(a heavily modified ESCI model is the next bit of Soviet heavy metal on the table)....

Anyway I hope you like it..yet another Soviet monster bomber to add to the collection.......it will definately be flying into Telford this year and will also feature in a future issue of Model Aviation World.

Here's an interesting clip of an M3 taking off....and leaving it rather late to rotate!!!...talk about cutting it close!

All the best, and thanks to those of you who have been enquiring about the build.

Dos vedanya tovarisch !

Melchie...

P1070222-1.jpg

P1090303-1-2.jpg

The biggest changes I made to the kit were to the inner flaps which are fixed on the kit. I wanted the aircraft to have everything hanging out, ala 'maintenence mode', so had to cut them out and work out how they hung and refitted..(though you can't see it there are actual aluminium screw jacks fitted to hold them in position, just like the real one).

P1090316-1.jpg

P1090307-1-1.jpg

P1090309-1-1.jpg

P1090314-1-1.jpg

P1090313-1-1.jpg

P1090311-1-1.jpg

P1090315-1-1.jpg

P1090319-1.jpg

Here's an example of extra detail being added that Trumpeter missed....the large fuel dump pipe between the engine exhausts and the anti staic discharge wicks that cover the flying surfaces....

P1090318-1.jpg

P1090305-1.jpg

P1090304-1.jpg

P1090327-1-1.jpg

The model will form part of a large revetment diorama which will include these tankers, ground crew, powerstarters and boarding ladder.....hopefully :whistle:

P1090331-1.jpg

Edited by general melchett

looks great, really like it but wasnt there supposed to be threehundred and ninety EIGHT stencils :whistle:

bit big for me and not my cuppa tea but impressed

Congratulations General! One more beast of steel from beyond the Iron Curtain! :analintruder: The build is absolutely amazing! :worthy: I love the incredible finish and the open bays showing the mighty weaponery. For me is the model of the year! :smartass: What's next?.... Antonov?.... Tupolev?... Mig?....Sukhoi?... Ilyushin? :evil_laugh:

Kind regards, TRUSKY1965.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad you like it,

looks great, really like it but wasnt there supposed to be three hundred and ninety EIGHT stencils whistle.gif

Yep...but I lost one,........ it was only one of the ones that went behind the rudder pedals anyway!! :winkgrin:

Trusky, thanks again, well as far as the Soviet stuff goes it'll hopefully be another big Tupolev, the TU-22 KPD Blinder or the Myasischev 3M Bison, but I'm starting to run a bit low on storage space now :banghead:

:cheers:

Trusky, thanks again, well as far as the Soviet stuff goes it'll hopefully be another big Tupolev, the TU-22 KPD Blinder or the Myasischev 3M Bison, but I'm starting to run a bit low on storage space now :banghead:

General! Good to see your reliable aircraft factory has produced another fine weapon for the great Soviet military re-armament programme! That's a fine beast there though, and the detail is fabulous. I look forward to seeing all these magnificent aircraft at Telford :D

Great news Chris !!.........so the Ashton's ready........fantastic....certainly go well with the Sperrin!!....... :cheers:

thats what dean said when i spoke to him sunday,something about you needing a challenge.or something on those lines

Thanks Chris X2!!.............Stringbag old fella it's great to see you back on the circuit, talk to you soon!

Chris, ..ah that's what he said was it!!........cheeky little fffffella!! :winkgrin:

Well if it follows along the same lines as the Sperrin then I guess he's right.....it'll be a challenge all right................just my cup of tea!!

Andy

Very impressive Melchie, :wow: always loved soviet heavy metal leviathons. Although I've never had the courage too build one, or the space to display them.

Oh by the way, I think you should go for the Bison next! :wub:

Beautiful work again Andy - you're getting quite good at this modelling lark, aren't you....??!! :tease:

Can't wait to see the finished diorama in Telford (there you go - a real challenge for you - 2 months & 3 weeks to go!! )

Lovely model, just stunning!!

Keef