Robocain - Robocop 2

Starting on the nippers, have to make 2 exactly the same which is always a challenge.

DSC09201.JPG

marked everything out and cut a groove each side with the bull nose cutter.

DSC09202.JPG

bit more trimming

DSC09203.JPG

bit more trimming, wobbly photo sorry

DSC09204.JPG

basic shape done on a picture of what im aiming for.

DSC09205.JPG

Cut the angle on each side on each one (look like little fish)

DSC09206.JPG

started rubbing one down, 600 gritt gets the right finish

DSC09207.JPG

found the mod 1 gear track I used for the shoulder disks is just right for the teeth! excellent, one less thing to make!

DSC09208.JPG

made a set of these ovals up only to find they were the wrong size

DSC09209.JPG

turned the little hydraulic cylinders things

DSC09210.JPG

thats the idea, just too short

DSC09211.JPG

just to give an idea of the size

DSC09212.JPG

put together with the short plates on, it opens at an angle becuase they are too short, better remake them then!

DSC09213.JPG

finally the right length, rubbed down, teeth painted, looking cool :)

nom nom nom

DSC09215.JPG

DSC09216.JPG

• Like 1

Keep forgetting to update, sorry.

Onto the head, back to the cardboard as this is a fairly difficult shape to scale from pictures.

The basic shape here:

DSC09253.JPG

but i think overall a bit to big, maybe 20%

DSC09254.JPG

DSC09255.JPG

DSC09256.JPG

so cut it and chopped it, making everything a little smaller, quick shot of paint

DSC09257.JPG

a better size, I spent a long time measuring and playing with cardboard, I think overall this is right.

starting with the top in delrin

DSC09258.JPG

DSC09259.JPG

this is for the front of the head, at the moment all a bit overwhelming as the task in hand is rather difficult. This is the final hurdle though, once over this its all easy.

DSC09260.JPG

something like that, its such a funny shape you only have to turn it a few degrees and it looks so different.

DSC09261.JPG

I was looking forward to seeing how you tackle the head - one teenie thing - the domed helmet should have a slight point at the front, that aside the mock up looks spot on fella :)

cain1.jpg

forgot these photos yesterday

DSC09262.JPG

not sure if this is sloped enough

DSC09263.JPG

Im leaving that for a bit so I can think some more

need to make a plate at the back to mount everything on

DSC09264.JPG

very hard to get this right, the holes at the back where the head hydraulic cylinders mount have to be ............ in the right place...... I know what im going on about.

DSC09265.JPG

fitted up and it clears the chest, made some U brackets

DSC09266.JPG

ok back to the stupid head thing, this has to cut the same each side (obviously) so it has a few degrees tilted to the side and a few tilted back at the same time, this is not easy to co-ordinate........... especially when your making it up as you go along

DSC09267.JPG

DSC09268.JPG

looks like he cut himself shaving, so the back of the head slopes to far down, need to trim that, but then....... its gonna be too short, might have to start again on this.

DSC09269.JPG

While I go some of the angles right it does tip back too far

DSC09270.JPG

DSC09271.JPG

I haven't got another piece of delrin big enough so im going to have to come back to this.

I keep finding parts I forgot to make, this is one of them

DSC09274.JPG

DSC09275.JPG

DSC09276.JPG

DSC09277.JPG

Also made up a removable plate

DSC09278.JPG

and another little plate that sits up high by the front of the collar.

DSC09279.JPG

made some more little fittings

DSC09280.JPG

this is the little plate at the front of the collar, im not sticking too strictly to the real one here, close enough.

DSC09281.JPG

these are the catches that hold the head locked dpwn when its in park. They are rather fiddly!

DSC09285.JPG

tiny tiny

DSC09286.JPG

they will attach up here somewhere

DSC09287.JPG

DSC09288.JPG

Turning some large nuts down to make the big pipe fittings at the top

DSC09289.JPG

DSC09297.JPG

using some of the micro hex head screws, half a mm thread width

DSC09298.JPG

DSC09300.JPG

DSC09302.JPG

DSC09303.JPG

Made up one of the armour plates for the back, the other side doesnt have one in the pictures but I will probably make another for that side, it looks like it needs one.

DSC09315.JPG

metal plate for the back

DSC09319.JPG

where I have spent a great deal of this year, sitting staring at a picture with a slightly stupid look.

DSC09320.JPG

recesses cut and thinned out a bit

DSC09322.JPG

rubbed down and holes drilled for tiny hex head bolts, just about spot on i think

DSC09324.JPG

Got a new chunk of delrin a last, im using the other as a template

DSC09333.JPG

cut the sides, this is hard as there is 2 angles to worry about and both sides have to be the same.

DSC09334.JPG

using my nifty vice, I can pivot to the correct angle then use my bevel box to twist it in the jaws to get the other angle, make a not of them, then repeat for the other side.

DSC09335.JPG

much bigger slant to start with, some of it will be lost when i trim the bottom.

DSC09336.JPG

its a good start

DSC09337.JPG

Originally I was going to open up a cheap chinese MP4 player for the screen

chinamp4.jpg

however after looking at this a bit closer the screen will have to be some distance from the board that controls it due to the complex movement the screen will have to do. The pitch of the cable is very fine and trying to solder an extended version on is a bit of a pain. So I have been hunting on the web for a solution, most of the tft screens of about 1.6/7/8 inches have to have a board with them, plus a video source as well, not only that but they are backlit and so quite thick. Finally after hours of searching I have found an Organic display (OLED) that should do the job, no back light and the whole unit is only 6mm thick which I should just be able to pull off. The other downside to the MP4 player is when you turn it on you would have to navigate through the menu to the video, with this module I have bought it can be set to auto play a file as soon as power is applied. Only down side is its a development module and so I might have to learn a bit of programming to actually get the thing to work, oh yeh ands its nearly £90 :(. If anyone is interested its coming from 4D systems in Australia.

Made up some brackets for the head doors, also trimmed the doors down on the inside to give me some more room.

DSC09339.JPG

Im using an old battery as a mock screen, its more or less the correct size! I made a aluminium bracket thing and a brass rod with a little plate on the end thats hinged.

DSC09340.JPG

The idea is the screen will twist sideways and slide into the head and the doors close.

Had to carefully remove material from the inside of the head.

DSC09341.JPG

Got the doors in and drilled in the right place, they hinge ok, but still a bit of resistance, some screws inside are there to adjust where the doors close so they meet in the middle.

adding a tiny spring to pull the doors closed.

DSC09343.JPG

im just hitting this head on at the moment, not 100% how im going to get it to open the doors, screen out, twist and the reverse the whole sequence at the push of a button but im sure I can manage it somehow.

lol, yes seen that before, I think its a screen saver someone made? I've got all the editng for the video to look forward too yet!

Spent a long time on this but finally got the basic mechanism in and lined up. The doors now meet in the middle consistantly.

DSC09344.JPG

DSC09345.JPG

Then if you pull the doors open and tug on the "screen" and twist, it opens in the right place! I had to carefully trim away material inside to get the screen in and the doors shut, it has to pull back a long way into the head to give enough clearance. Not only that but the back corner of the screen protrudes above the line of the doors so the lid of his head will have to be scooped out a bit too.

DSC09346.JPG

The brass bar that the screen is on slides back and there is just enough head to cover it, its all a bit tight. Now the fun bit, getting it to open and close automatically. I played with a few ideas, boiled down to 2, 1st was to have a screw/ worm drive to move the slider in and out, but for this the screw would have to extend the length of the rod and there is no room. So had to go for option 2, a cable inside a tube..... like the brake cables on a bike. I found a suitable tube, rc car antenna pipe, with a bit of heat they bend and stay in shapes. For the wire I got a reel of wire and found that 3 strands twisted together gave the best trade off between strength and flexibility.

DSC09347.JPG

After yet more hours of faffing about I came to the conclusion that having the doors srung shut is not going to work :( the force needed to open them is quite high, this needs to be done by the screen twisting 90 degrees open at the end of its travel on the brass rod. However im going to push from near the pivot point, it needs a huge amount of force to lever the doors open which isnt going to work, the cable (doing the pushing) will bend.... use thicker cable? cant it needs to make a 90 bend from the body up, turn then out to the screen. SOOOOO im thinking I need this U shape bit that I will mount the door springs to....... then when its pulled back the doors close AND have tension on them, but pushed forward the doors are free to open. I just need to somehow get the cable to open the doors THEN push the screen out all the way.

Did that make any sense? prolly not, in short, this is a ball ache.

DSC09348.JPG