Aeroclub Hunters, Meteors, Vampires, etc

Gene K

After reading so many good comments about the Aeroclub kits and conversions, I attempted to order a few....but found that impossible (so far) to do. Specifically, I wanted the 1/48 Vampire and Hunter correction sets, and was also interested in a couple of the 1/72 Meteor kits. Hannants shows a lot of "Sold Out" Aeroclub items-- as does Luchtvaart -- and the Aeroclub site doesn't show them. After checking those European sources (which I figured had the best stock), I then checked US shops such as Meteor, Squadron, Roll, and Great Models -- same story - sold out.

So -- can someone point me to a good source of Aeroclub kits and conversions? (I'm in the US).

Thanks,

Gene K

After reading so many good comments about the Aeroclub kits and conversions, I attempted to order a few....but found that impossible (so far) to do. Specifically, I wanted the 1/48 Vampire and Hunter correction sets, and was also interested in a couple of the 1/72 Meteor kits. Hannants shows a lot of "Sold Out" Aeroclub items-- as does Luchtvaart -- and the Aeroclub site doesn't show them. After checking those European sources (which I figured had the best stock), I then checked US shops such as Meteor, Squadron, Roll, and Great Models -- same story - sold out.

So -- can someone point me to a good source of Aeroclub kits and conversions? (I'm in the US).

Thanks,

Gene K

Gene, They've mostly been out of productyion now for some time - they were only limited run kits anyway. As new "mainstream" kits came out (Lightnings by Airfix, Hunters by Academy, Vampires, Canberra's by CA etc.,) John Adams has dropped them ftrom his range.

I'm looking for a Jet Provost Mk 5 personally.......!!!

I'd suggest E-Bay maybe?

I'm looking for a Jet Provost Mk 5 personally.......!!!

Ich auch Bill! I've just got the Gnat though so one dwon, one to go.

Gene,

I'm also looking for the Hunter correction sets and the Mk.7 / 8 Conversion for the Academy Hunter. I managed to find one correction set on eBay so maybe this is the only route. I am really hoping that Aeroclub re-issue some of this stuff however.

I thought the Vampire fuselage correction set was only produced last year for CA's Vampire kit, therefore I would have though that this is still available. Regards,

Ed

As new "mainstream" kits came out (Lightnings by Airfix, Hunters by Academy, Vampires, Canberra's by CA etc.,) John Adams has dropped them from his range.

Bill,

Since some of John's correction kits were/are for "mainstream" kits, you'd think he would keep them in production - as for the CA Meteor and Academy Hunter, in particular.

I had hoped some of you Britmodellers knew of a store there in Britain that had the Aeroclub motherload...but then, that would be like divulging a secret fishing spot.

I'll keep an eye on eBay.

Meteor Productions does have a Jet Provost, but it's the Mk.3/4.

Gene K

The Aviation Hobby Shop has some old(er) Aeroclub items, so it might be worth a call. The owners are anticipating (it might even have happened, by now) the imminent arrival of another grandchild, so don't be surprised if the response is a little disjointed. And, no, there isn't a JP; I've already looked.

Edgar

The Aviation Hobby Shop has some old(er) Aeroclub items, so it might be worth a call. The owners are anticipating (it might even have happened, by now) the imminent arrival of another grandchild, so don't be surprised if the response is a little disjointed. And, no, there isn't a JP; I've already looked.

Edgar

Edgar,

I'm only over in .... so I might pop over tomorrow and see if they have a twin tub Hunter conversion! Regards,

Ed

Edited by RSV1000R

Edgar,

I'm only over in Wimbledon so I might pop over tomorrow and see if they have a twin tub Hunter conversion! Regards,

Ed

Ed,

Would you keep an eye out for the Hunter and Vampire correction sets also, please?

Gene K

Ed,

Would you keep an eye out for the Hunter and Vampire correction sets also, please?

Gene K

Gene,

Of course. Is there a particular set of parts you are looking for with regards to the Hunter? I might be able to spare a set of corrected exhausts (version dependant) and a Vac canopy from my existing "stock". Regards,

Ed

Gene,

Of course. Is there a particular set of parts you are looking for with regards to the Hunter? I might be able to spare a set of corrected exhausts (version dependant) and a Vac canopy from my existing "stock". Regards,

Ed

Thanks, Ed. As I mentioned, for the Hunter, my main search is for the 1/48 correction set. In 1/72, I'm looking for parts to convert the Revell kit to the .9 - mainly new tail pipe. However, I understand there is a conversion set available from a fellow in Scotland that I'm trying to track down, and I have a 1/72 Airfix on order (for parts), so that should fix me up in 1/72.

Of course if you come on a T-7 set in either scale, I would gladly send you a payment including handling to get it/them for me!

Appreciate your offer on the tailpipe but I'm sure you'll be using it --- sometime. Very nice of you to offer!

Gene K

Since some of John's correction kits were/are for "mainstream" kits, you'd think he would keep them in production - as for the CA Meteor and Academy Hunter, in particular.

True enough, though I wouldn't call CA "mainstream", The only correction set for the Meteor was a Martin Baker Ejection Seat, did you mean the Vampire?

As for the Hunter, agreed, to a certain extent......but see below...

I had hoped some of you Britmodellers knew of a store there in Britain that had the Aeroclub motherload...but then, that would be like divulging a secret fishing spot.

Aeroclub used to have a stash.............

I'll keep an eye on eBay.

Meteor Productions does have a Jet Provost, but it's the Mk.3/4.

Gene K

Additionally, and I'm not attempting to defend or indeed speak on John Adams behalf in anyway, but Aeroclub are a relatively small cottage industry. They tend to tool up for production runs (like the 1/48th Vulcan) and then thats it. Bearing in mind those Hunter sets must be nearly ten years old (incidentally the 1/48th Airfix Lightning F3 I started building last week has "1997" stamped on the fuselage!!!!) then its amazing how well they have lasted.

For all I know the moulds (they were of the "limited run" variety after all) may have reached the end of their "limited run", in which case Aeroclub, as a profit making company with wages and overheads to meet woulds have a choice to make... re-tool another 250 sets knowing the last 250 took ten years to sell, knowing that most modellers have built their Hunters, not knowing whether Revell will down size their 1/32nd Hunter in 18 months time (Which whilst being fantastic for us modellers, would render any investment useless!!).

Or spend their money tooling something new?

It is though worth e-mailling John to ask him, (he is on Hyperscale fairly regularly).You never know he may or may neot, have something in the pipeline...