RoG B-17G test shots on line!

Matt Roberts

1/72 aircraft in simplified surface detail shocker

Well I'm not a prop fan but I'll be falling over myself to get one of these when they are available, and no doubt they'll be retailing for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent Trumpeter / Tamiya / Hasegawa model.

I for one just want Revell to keep doing what they are doing ;)

Surface detail being too deep doesn't worry me, there are ways round it. As long as the kit is accurate, fits well and is reasonably priced it's all good. This one is certainly reasonably priced, we'll just have to wait until it's released to find out about the other two points.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

If it was an Airfix kit someone would say the panel lines look too heavy. As it isn't they'll probably be applauded.

I expect it will look excellent under a coat of paint.

As someone who has persistently complained about Airfix's new toolings (and refused to buy any of them, although I might make exception to the Shar FA2 if only because there is no competition), I take a bit of offense at this statement. It seems to suggest that we are whining about Airfix just because they are Airfix when it is certainly not the case. Personally, Airfix is quite dear to my heart and I would have loved them to come out with modern kits now that they are back on their feet but their panelling work is downright hideous and there's no justification for it in this day and age.

Likewise the panelling on this B-17 looks overdone but in all honesty not as bad as Airfix (or Italeri for that matter). It does seem disappointing though, given that we have come to expect much more from Revell. Their quality seems very inconsistent at times: just compare the wonderfully detailed Tornado vs the forgettable Tomcat, and this B-17 seems closer to the latter.

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Re...eing_B-17G.html

Sprue pics....not under the harsh lighting that the other pics were (emphasize panel lines in bright lighting)

Two big things I notice, one is a 'Mickey' bombing radar that replaces the ball turret. The other is separate machine gun barrels in the last sprue! Interesting to see how they'll work, but makes masking and filling easier. Also waist guns look to have the ammo belts and boxes. Remember back in the 70's when 'detailing' meant laying a thin strip of masking tape across the guns painted brown in the middle and gold on the ends to simulate ammo?

The clear sprues have some interesting surprises, multiple waist gun windows?

Thanks for pointing out that link. looks like revell are covering alot of bases with with kit. I too saw what appears to be the mickey radar. and the different waist windows are there for the various variations, same with the radio compartment 'sunroof' I suspect with this amount of attentioin to different variants, I suspect they will have marked out on the starboard fuselage half where a staggered waist gun position would be. I'm really looking forward to this one. I already have some aftermarket markings i'm saving for it!

Edited by rowmk9

looks like only getting one kit just won't do......... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Translation from Googlebabble

Kit: Here we are dealing with a Testshot. Not all details are final, and some things are not changed.

The kit is modular and it is safe to expect other versions. Good one E and F. We also waiting if they were off! The form is created for Revell in South Korea.

As a result, this kit can inspire further. There are stable beams for the attachment of the wings and inside the fuselage is not empty. In addition to the fine structures also sufficient details to the bulkhead. All rudders are mounted at regular mobile column dimensions. The solid molded flaps also have an internal structure. The same is true for the bomb bay doors together. Revell also provides the early rear gunner with the bow and the version type interchangeable parts. Well I like the Sperry-defensive tower. Here there is a proper facility and alternatives for that!

I see the F style waist gun windows on the clear sprue..good omen there.

HOWEVER..I don't expect to see all those parts in the final kit. I saw the test-shot sprues for the Fw-200 at the IPMS USA Nationals back in 2004, and they included the "iron" bombs and correct underside gondola parts for the C-3 commerce raider. I snapped up the kit when it was released, and was most disappointed to discover that the sprues had been "gated off" to exclude the C-3 parts, allowing only the relatively obscure C-8 missile carrier to be built. The kit has been out for five years, and still no C-3 commerce raider..the most widely used Condor variant. What this means is that I suspect that when the B-17 is released, Revell will only include the necessary parts to build the G. Any non-G-specific parts will likely be excluded from the kit, and hopefully we may see an F in five or ten years.

That's not to say that I'm not looking forward to this one..I'll probably end up with at least two or three in The Stash. Now I'm glad I never got around to starting that Academy G.

SN

Translation from Googlebabble

Kit: Here we are dealing with a Testshot. Not all details are final, and some things are not changed.

The kit is modular and it is safe to expect other versions. Good one E and F

If they do a B-17E, they'll have one very,very happy customer here! :worthy:

Perfect for a PTO/SEAC fanatic like myself.

Now, Revell - let's see a New Tool B-24 to go with it! :speak_cool:

Mike.

Personally, looking at the first images I thought, how the hell can a company the size of Revell issue pictures of their new product with dust spots all over the sensor........ it takes but 5 mins to clean them up and just shows a shoddy outlook to their public image.

Personally, looking at the first images I thought, how the hell can a company the size of Revell issue pictures of their new product with dust spots all over the sensor........ it takes but 5 mins to clean them up and just shows a shoddy outlook to their public image.

The pics aren't Revells, they supplied the test shots to IPMS Germany

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't see the hyperscale link here until pointed out to me :P yeah It looks good built up doesn't it? Though to my unscietific eye the top turret 'looks' a touch to tall, maybe its just perspective. Either way I don't care too much, its still on my 'must buy lots of' list.

the interior looks very nice. I'm sure P/E and other sets will be out to turn it into something more detailed than a real 1:1 scale one. Boeing's version is so innaccurate, for a start it was first tooled in the 1943...

Hmmm. I still think it suffers from 'trench foot'. The interior detail is a good place to start for a super detailer, but how much of it will you see? The antenna above the nose looks like it's been made from angle iron. Still not impressed enough to want one.