RoG B-17G test shots on line!

Matt Roberts

Matt: thanks for the picture and link..that looks like a sweet kit...!!

Cheers,

ggc

" Utter Mess'..??? I think not!!

Edited by CPNGROATS

Yo Jim: it's 1/72 scale............

Cheers,

ggc

Looks pretty nice to me! This kit appears to rectify all the shortcomings of both the Academy and Hasegawa kits, and goes significantly past them in terms of detail. The only minor quibble I have looking at the test shot is the clunky, oversimplified detail on the inside of the bombay doors..certainly not a deal-breaker.

Jennings over on ARC has a test shot in hand. Apparently the actual kit will include both the standard and "Cheyenne" tail guns, and also includes the navigator's astrodome. The fact that the build-up shows a flat panel over the nose and separate inserts for the cheek guns is a good indication that Revell is planning an F down the road.

I'll be interested to see what the interior looks like..hopefully a full radio room is included.

SN

I'm really excited about this kit, and it seems like it'll be the best B-17 in 1/72 when its out, not that the competition is that fierce. I'm also hoping for a detailed radio room as the glazing into it allows for a good view. It seems like some work has likely been done in there, judging by the .50 mounted on a rail there, more commonly found on the B-17F. There are a couple of things I could start nit-picking with, but for now, I'll give the test shots the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like they're playing with options for dropped flaps, elevators and other control surfaces. looks nicely done too, and would help add some dynamic element to a finsihed model.

I'm already saving the pennies to buy my own bomb group....

Edited by rowmk9

If it was an Airfix kit someone would say the panel lines look too heavy. As it isn't they'll probably be applauded.

I expect it will look excellent under a coat of paint.

Cover them in PAINT? Where's the fun in that! This is all about looking at unassembled, unpainted, undecalled kits and passing immediate judgement!

:banghead:

(Yeah, it does look pretty cool)

I see nothing to put me off the kit. I'm no expert, though.

The panel lines do look too heavy at first glance, but I don't mind too much about that, because I think all-engraved panel lines are not the last word in surface detail anyway. Looks like it could be a better 17 than anyone else's, and at a very good price. I'll take a couple of dozen please!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Didn't bother me, but would you care to elaborate on why you think it's a mess? :thumbsup:

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Obi- No I wouldn't, because that would lead me down a road of a rant re many new Revell moulds. It would be just me being grumpy. Next step is to see one built up I suppose. Maybe I will look on things more favorably after that.

It's coz it ain't bleedin' painted yet my old son....

Looks good to me. A vast improvement on their old one (raised panel lines and football sized scale rivets!)

That will need to be one hell of a coat of paint!!!

An improvement? of course it is but those panel lines are way to deep, they wern't that deep on the real thing. Modellers harp on about resessed panel lines whilst completely missing the point that the construction of many original aircraft featured raised or overlapped joints in the panelling, look at any closeup of the nose of a B17 and Im afraid it looks substantially different from what we see on this product.

Whos fault is that, now there's a question.

Richard McC

Other than maybe 100 Group were any B-17Gs used by the RAF? Coastal Command 'E's but that is about it.

Matt

(yes I know about the Fortress I....the Shark Tail is the one B-17 I'm still interested in building one of these days when Academy repops thiers - maybe in time for The Swoose to get put on display here at Wright Pat in a couple of years)

I think the Swoose is closer to ten years away from being finished..I saw her in the shop a year and a half ago, and they've got a long way to go. Even so, she'll probably still be finished before the Fortress I I've been tinkering with for the past several years!

SN

hmmmmm.

i really want to say this looks good, but RoG need to go look at some photos of real b-17s to see what they surface is really like, it looks like theyve just copied the panel lines off some drawings without actually checking whats there in real life. if anything, rows of 1970's airfix rivets would be more appropriate, not the parallel recessed lines seen here.

the bomb bay and flaps do looks very nice though! would love to see one built up and decalled.

Edited by lufbramatt