SCRATCH BUILT WESTLAND LYSANDER MK 1 1:30 SCALE

Fozzy

Why only 1:30 Fozzy?

With the great work going into this, surely 1:1 could be an option... :worthy:

I look forward to following your progress.

Cliff

Nice one Cliff!!

My attention now turned to the dreaded undercarriage!!!

This was rather a difficult shape to replicate and after carefull thought I decided on using Balsa wood and Hard wood as the main materials.The pic below shows the exact materials used...........

ly28.jpg

That is Balsa wood and Hard wood,plastic card,clear cocktail stick ,clear plastic packaging and sticky chrome foil paper!

Edited by Fozzy

The wheel Spats were first shaped out of a block of Balsa and the undercarriage legs were shaped out of Hard wood(I used Hardwood here as the legs will take all the weight)...........here they are PVC'd up and undercoated........

ly29.jpg

I carved out a male lug which would adventually fit into the lower fuselage...............

ly30.jpg

and then made the Landing lights.These were made by first drilling out a hole in the front of each spat at the appropiate place,and backing the hole with sticky chrome foil.The top of a clear cocktail stick was then placed inside the hole and the glass was replicated out of the clear packaging plastic.With the cocktail stick against the chrome foil any light shinning on it makes it look like a lamp!!.............

ly33.jpg

...................Bits of plastic were cut to add a bit of detail here and there.Here are the finished undercarriage wheel spats........

ly31.jpg

ly32.jpg

Can't have undercarriage legs without wheels...........so here goes

The wheels were shaped from Balsa wood and then covered with plastic card and then the tyres were made from electric cable insulation.......sounds crazy but quite effective .These pics make them look naf because they show only half of them.....thats because only the bottom half will be seen and when they are painted up they will look authentic...I bloody hope!!!

ly34.jpg

ly35.jpg

........and here they are placed in the Spats...............

ly38.jpg

ly36.jpg

ly39.jpg

Thats it for now as I think my monitor is about to pack up on me!!!...........more expence! :confused:

Next time I post I will show you how I tackled the dreaded Cowling

cheers for now

Fozzy

Hey

Great work and yes you are crazy.......

but seriously this is incredible, great work and WELCOME!!

Brenden

Cheers Brenden

Foz

Really great work so far! :goodjob: It must be quite big once the wings are made and added

I could learn a lot for my proposed scratchbuild from this

Yes it will be large.Wing span will be approx 60cms.What will your scratch build be?

Yes it will be large.Wing span will be approx 60cms.What will your scratch build be?

Mine will be a G10N1 in 1/72 scale which was meant to be the design for a intercontinental superbomber that could bomb America then carry on to Germany and fly back after refuelling. Didnt actually make it pass the design stage, but one of the engines was built. More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_G10N

At the moment, Ive only drawn up some basic plans for dimensions and found a few bits to use, such as a vacform 1/48 B 29 canopy which looks simular and about the right size, wheels and some interior parts from a salvaged 1/48 P 61. Good thing is it wasnt actually built, so I could get away with changing a few bits like using the canopy :D

I dont know much about scratchbuilding really, Im just learning from projects like yours ^_^ You make it look so easy!

Edited by Nakajima15

Mine will be a G10N1 in 1/72 scale which was meant to be the design for a intercontinental superbomber that could bomb America then carry on to Germany and fly back after refuelling. Didnt actually make it pass the design stage, but one of the engines was built. More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_G10N

At the moment, Ive only drawn up some basic plans for dimensions and found a few bits to use, such as a vacform 1/48 B 29 canopy which looks simular and about the right size, wheels and some interior parts from a salvaged 1/48 P 61. Good thing is it wasnt actually built, so I could get away with changing a few bits like using the canopy :D

I dont know much about scratchbuilding really, Im just learning from projects like yours ^_^ You make it look so easy!

Hi there again

I took a look at the Nakajima G10N...........nice looking.If you have any problems scratch building this then feel free to contact me and maybe I can give you advice and try to help you.You really don't need to cheat on the Canopy....you can make your own,its only trial and error!! The hardest part will be the constructing of the Fuselage and wings!!! :(

Cheers

Fozzy

The Cowling.mmmhhhhmmmm1 :fraidnot: ....not easy!

The first pic shows a big block of Balsa cut to the shape and length of the Cowling.I laminated about 5 pieces of wood together and left overnight to dry.

The next day I started sanding down the wood contstantly checking the shape with the plans and pics untill after about an hour or so I had what I think is the right shape for the Cowling........see pic

ly17.jpg

Not many pics of this stage I'm afraid because I hated doing it! :angry: but the next few pictures shows you the finished item.After tapering in the front of the Cowl to shape and drilling out the centre to adventually take the Mercury Engine(that part was a bitch!!)and fitting a Carburetor intake made from Balsa wood to the bottom of the Cowl,the oil cooler intake rings were then fitted(made from electric cable insulation)and finally the Cylinder head nobly thingymajigs were glued on.....enough of this chat.....here is the finished article.....ish!!

ly25.jpg

ly26.jpg

ly27.jpg

I have to say I hated doing this Cowling.....but the good news is that I'm getting to the part that I love doing and that is ..detailing. :D

The next few posts will be me showing you how I constructed the Mercury Engine.

Ok so here is the good bit........well it is for me!

After studying many pictures of the Mercury Engine I got together all the materials I would need to replicate it.I needed good old Balsa wood,cocktail sticks,Garden twine wire,Electric cable and different size pieces of wire and a lot of patience!!!!

Let me show you the first pic and I will explain.............

ly49.jpg

First I made the Engine block out of a piece of Balsa wood and then glued the 9 Cylinders or cocktail sticks in this case!,onto the Engine block.To get the effect of the cylinders I wrapped garden twine around the cocktail stick.The Gear box cover was made out of Balsa wood and sanded to shape and glued to the front and the Push Rods were made out of wire and placed onto the cylinders.This was all then placed on a plastic card back plate and then given the old paint job!!

This was then placed inside the Bloody Cowling and checked very carefully that it set absolutly straight else the prop will not turn!.When it was dry I made the exhaust ring out of Milliput,and tiny exhaust pipes connected to the ring out of insulation cable.All I had to do then was make the exhaust ring frame out of wire.This probably took me about 2 days to complete.

Here are a few snaps of the finished Mercury Engine.

ly51.jpg

ly52.jpg

Hi there again

I took a look at the Nakajima G10N...........nice looking.If you have any problems scratch building this then feel free to contact me and maybe I can give you advice and try to help you.You really don't need to cheat on the Canopy....you can make your own,its only trial and error!! The hardest part will be the constructing of the Fuselage and wings!!! :(

Cheers

Fozzy

Thanks Fozzy! Ill keep watching your build to gain new tips. Ive got an idea for the fuselage based on Richellis's 1/24 BAe 146 scratchbuild also here on Britmodeller, but for the wings I dont really have a good plan. Hopefully might learn a new technique when you get round to making the Lysanders wings ;)

Hi guys

So what we are putting together today is the detail in the Cockpit.

These few pictures show you that I have placed all the floors and Radio shelves in the Navigator/Gunners compartment.Bits of pipe work have been added and a few pumps and buttons on the Pilots side walls.Most of this detailing was made out of Plastic card and wire,and the reference came from an amazing book in the Mushroom Orange series named Westland Lysander by James Kightly...................

ly87.jpg

ly89.jpg

ly88.jpg

I now turned my attention to making the Pilots seat.The first picture shows you how crudely I made the seat frame work out of Garden twine.I basicly pinned and glued the wire over a template.........

ly57.jpg

........and then glued it all together.....

ly58.jpg

Fozzy,

Absolutely awesome build! What scheme are you planning to finish it in?

regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin

Not too sure at the moment but am leaning towards the Standard Dark Green/Dark Earth upper surfaces and Sky undersides.As for the Squadron Markings havn't decided yet!!