SCRATCH BUILT WESTLAND LYSANDER MK 1 1:30 SCALE

Fozzy

ly168.jpg

ly169.jpg

Well thats it for today.Tomorrow I will post how I covered the fuselage and wings with tissue and dope.When that is done I will be up to date and things will slow down a bit as I havnt consructed anything else

Chau for now

Fozzy

Enjoying it. The rivets were just poked in from the other side with a pin, I guess?

Simple as me old son :clap2: Congratulations .....go to the top of the class

Outstanding! What a great example of scratchbuilding and a perfect resource for super-detailers :)

Thanks a lot Deon :)

So maybe today I can get this thread up to date so that I can start working on the Lysander again.

I covered the Fuselage with tissue first and then went onto the wings.

This next section is for those of you who never have tissued and doped a model before,for those of you who have then skip all this :)

These are the materials you need

Some Clear Shrinking Dope and some PVA glue....

ly170.jpg

..........and some Tissue(not the tissue you blow your nose on! :lol: )This you get from any craft shop.......

ly171.jpg

...You'll also need your wifes Hairdryer...unless you own one :rolleyes: ,and some water.

1. First mix up a little PVA glue with water so that it is the same consistancy as milk.

ly173.jpg

2. Cut strips of tissue with your scissors no wider than the distance between each Stringer on the Fuselage!mmm difficult to explain but there will be photos you can see!!

ly172.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

3. Paste the diluted PVA glue onto the Stringers where the strip of Tissue will be going........

ly174.jpg

4. Carefully place the tissue strip onto the glued Stringers smoothing out as you go and trying to pull as taught as possible without ripping the tissue..

ly175.jpg

5. With a clean brush,gently brush some clean water over the tissue you have just applied.This is the part that you think :poo: ..exactly!!!

The tissue looks all wrinkled but it won't be for long!!

ly177.jpg

6. Grab the Hairdryer and blow the hot air over the crinkled mess and it will make it go taught!

ly176.jpg

7. Proceed to put the next strip on in the same method cutting off the excess tissue on the ends as you go,untill you have covered all of the Fuselage..

ly178.jpg

ly179.jpg

ly180.jpg

8. The dope has to be applied now but before you start there is a precaution you must take...........wear a mask as the fumes are powerfull and you can get as high as a Coot!!..........needless to say I don't wear a mask :innocent:

Brush it on straight from the can with a paint brush as quickly as possible as it dries really quickly.and imediatly dry it with a hair dryer.You will find that it dries very hard and taught.If you find any blemishes when you have finished then you can gently rub down with fine emery cloth.

Thats it job done,here is the Lysanders Fuselage done..............

ly181.jpg

ly183.jpg

So now that it is skinned I had to think of a way how I could put the surface detail on.Obviously I could't scribe it!! We are not talking Panel lines here as the real aircraft was doped linen at the bottom end where I have covered it in tissue, no its just removeable panels built on the fuselage frame.

Well after some thought I came up with the idea of using.......................paper!!I thought if I cut up small strips of paper and then just glued them into position it might look alright! heres some pics,................I think I can get away with it ,what do you think?

ly185.jpg

ly186.jpg

ly187.jpg

ly188.jpg

ly189.jpg

Next time I post I'll show you how I covered the wings...............Cheers..Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy

hi

what a great build, keep up the good work. just a quick question on an earlier section. how do you model raised and in panel rivets.

nick

Hi Nick

Welcome to the Forum.Thanks for your comments,in answer to your question about the rivets it was answered by Crooked mouth earlier but if you missed it ..........Use a pin on the reverse side of the plastic,dont press too hard and it will pop the plastic just like a rivet,give it a go! :)

So now we get to the last of the catch up on this thread....attention to the wings!!

I covered the wings in the exact way as the fuselage. Note the size of the tissue I used on each part of the wing..........

ly190a.jpg

....I don't think i mentioned it whilst covering the Fuselage so I say it now!When applying the tissue apply it shinny side up!

ly191.jpg

Here I am cutting the excess tissue off around the Leading and Trailing edges...........

ly192.jpg

Last stage of the catch up now!

The Navigation lights had to be replicated.This is how I did it...........(Christ its like being back in school! :huh: )

1. Cut a section out at the tip of the Wing.....

ly199.jpg

2. Cover the cut area with sticky back chrome paper,or paint it chrome silver if you havn't got any!!

ly200.jpg

3. Fire up your trusty Candle and start melting Clear sprue (because you know you like doing it! ;) ) in the shape of a light bulb.Takes a few attemps but you'll get it in the end

ly201.jpg

4. Glue the fabricated bulb you have just made onto the chrome paper in the wing tip

ly202.jpg

5. Paint it the appropiate colour.........

ly203.jpg

6. Finally cut a piece of clear packaging plastic into the shape of the glass lense,easier said than done!,and glue into place

ly204.jpg

.............and there you have it folks!!

So now at last I can continue with the constructing of this project.In a couple of days or so I will post what I have done,which I think will be a dry run of Wing attatchments with the wing Braces in place................so untill then

Thanks to all you guys who are watching this thread and giving me the confidence to try to finish this Scratch Build :thumbsup:

Cheers

Fozzy

Masterful. I love this. Looking forward to seeing her painted up...

You don't know how much I am looking forward to painting her as well!!Still the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter,this afternoon I tackled the Wing Struts......Oh my god this is going to take some doing.Sometimes I get to a point in Scratch Building when I think..............actually I can't do this part,I hope the time hasn't come now on these blasted Struts :wall:

You don't know how much I am looking forward to painting her as well!!Still the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter,this afternoon I tackled the Wing Struts......Oh my god this is going to take some doing.Sometimes I get to a point in Scratch Building when I think..............actually I can't do this part,I hope the time hasn't come now on these blasted Struts :wall:

You've pretty much demonstrated that you shouldn't have a problem matey. One step at a time.:)

This is looking very nice indeed. Funnily enough, it hadn't occured to me to use doped tissue to replicate canvas surfaces with a scratch-build. :dunce:

I don't think you will be beaten by those wing struts! I bet they'll be difficult, but shouldn't get the better of someone with your skill in scratch-building. Are you thinking of making the struts from balsa, plastic card, or what?

This is looking very nice indeed. Funnily enough, it hadn't occured to me to use doped tissue to replicate canvas surfaces with a scratch-build. :dunce:

I don't think you will be beaten by those wing struts! I bet they'll be difficult, but shouldn't get the better of someone with your skill in scratch-building. Are you thinking of making the struts from balsa, plastic card, or what?

Yes thanks for your input mate,I started with balsa this afternoon but didn't think it would work so I tried with plastic,who knows at this stage?maybe that won't work.I have given up for tonight but with a fresh head tomorrow I'll probably get something worked out.

Yes using Doped Tissue on a Scratch Build works great.I used Doped Tissue on this Scratch Built Sopwith F1 Camel I built last year,and was very pleased with the results........

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

Cheers

Foz

Edited by Fozzy