SCRATCH BUILT WESTLAND LYSANDER MK 1 1:30 SCALE

Fozzy

Sorry but still having probs with Flikr photoshare.It seems to me that anyone can go to your photos from the link at the bottom of the picture .....and then simply delete/change/and add your own pics etc..........please don't think of doing it!!! :fraidnot: its just not good enough!!I'll have to sort something out else this is the end of this build in this forum!

Cheers

Fozzy

Sorry but still having probs with Flikr photoshare.It seems to me that anyone can go to your photos from the link at the bottom of the picture .....and then simply delete/change/and add your own pics etc..........please don't think of doing it!!! :fraidnot: its just not good enough!!I'll have to sort something out else this is the end of this build in this forum!

Cheers

Fozzy

What's the problem with Photobucket? I've had no probs...

What's the problem with Photobucket? I've had no probs...

Hi Mate

Its sooooooooooooooo boring that Ive got a thread on my problems with PB in Site help and support!Suffice to say that it just dosnt bloody work!!

and wheres your hat?

Edited by Fozzy

Hi Mate

Its sooooooooooooooo boring that Ive got a thread on my problems with PB in Site help and support!Suffice to say that it just dosnt bloody work!!

and wheres your hat?

The Velociraptor nicked it.

Hope we'll continue to see your build?

The Velociraptor nicked it.

Hope we'll continue to see your build?

Hi

Yes it seems that I have fixed the prob with photobucket for the time being by using a different server,so its on with this build!!

This is amazing :gobsmacked:

Hazza

Thanks Hazza :)

So now that I seemed have fixed the picture problem we can get on with this build!

I needed to Scratch Build the Machine Gun next so after checking the Internet for reference material I found some good pictures of the Vickers K Machine gun that was used in the back of a Lysander.So heres a couple of pics of my favourite scrap boxes,the contents I used to build the Machine gun......

ly140.jpg

The first thing I did was to cut the shape of the main parts of the gun out of scrap plastic,then glued them all together.The Gun barrell was made out of Garden Twine and the gun sights were made from fuse wire.............heres the pics before painting

ly142.jpg

ly143.jpg

ly144.jpg

The Magazine canisters were painted first and then placed onto the Carousel,see below..........

ly152.jpg

Time for my dinner! :bye: Will post more afterwards

Edited by Fozzy

This really is a great build and one that I hadn't looked at before. The speed in which you have built this is incredible and really goes to show what you can do with a bit of scrap plasticard, balsa wood and wire (skill and patience help too!)

Looking great and keep the pictures and detailed descriptions coming!

Fozzy - The Lewis Gun is pretty awesome for a scratch build. I wish I had your patience and skill. Great stuff.

Cheers Campbell.I have always had patience when its something I really want to do,but ask me to mow the lawn then Ive had it straight away!!as for skill ....we all got it mate,I have plenty of time on my hands to nurture those skills because I took early retirement.,you see I'm a boring fart because all I do all day is make models! :) I'm also a lucky b###### because it dosn't bother Mrs Fozzy!!!

This really is a great build and one that I hadn't looked at before. The speed in which you have built this is incredible and really goes to show what you can do with a bit of scrap plasticard, balsa wood and wire (skill and patience help too!)

Looking great and keep the pictures and detailed descriptions coming!

Thanks for your input Jake but I must put you right on one thing!!As I said at the beginning of this build I started building this Lysander about last June I think and just kept a record of the build as I went along,as it happens I am nearly up to date and then the post will slow down a bit!!Christ I wish I was that fast then maybe I could finish this bloody thing! :winkgrin:

Cheers

Foz

Hi again all

The next part of this build is a bit tricky (allthough it dosn't look it)because I have to scratch build the frame work that will hold the wings in place.So the frame work as on the real aircraft has to be placed exactly right and must be tough enough to take the wieght of the wings,so does this model!.I made a quick template for the frame work on a piece of card and then pinned and glued the structure together using cut plastic.

ly153.jpg

Once they set I took them off the template card.Now I am not trying to teach grandma how to suck eggs :smartass: but for those of you who don't know this simple trick...listen in!!...note the rivets on the frame work?...how did I do that?.....not telling you.

ly154.jpg

....have you guessed yet? dead simple isn't it.

The next photo shows you the front part of the frame work already installed and painted.This is because I had to wrap the Pilots seat belts around the frame.You can also see in this photo some more small detail added to the (Plywood..... Campbell :tease:) Map Table.Sad isnt it ....I glued some pretend pencils in a container and pretend elastic to hold the maps in place!....

ly156.jpg

The next photo shows you how I made the actual wing attachment bars.They were made out of plastic sprue with small holes drilled into the ends and then pieces of cut metal garden twine super glued into the holes.The idea is when it comes to the dreaded fixing of the wings,the metal prongs will bury themselfs into the Balsa wing roots....................well thats the plan and I'm sticking to it :closedeyes:

ly161.jpg

Here they are ,in place unpainted.

I made a couple of cockpit lights out of plastic and wired them up to make it look more realistic.......

ly163.jpg

...and here is the whole frame work painted..............

ly167.jpg