SCRATCH BUILT WESTLAND LYSANDER MK 1 1:30 SCALE

Fozzy

Hi everyone

So I am recently new to this forum and have introduced myself in "Ready for inspection" with my Stuka.As I think I mentioned I normally make scratch built models and am not too sure how this project will go down with you guys!

I decided to build this Lysander as I would normally do and it might be interesting to you how I attempt to put it alltogether!!

I will not be using any after sales goodies for this build.The main materials used is Balsa wood,plastic card,paper card and wire.I shall be vac forming my own canopy,painting my own decals and consructing parts out of what ever I can lay my hands on!.I dont know why I picked such a hard subject to build except I guess I like a challenge and I'm a bit mad.........and ofcourse I like the Lysander! :)

I am having problems with downloading photos so please bare with me(I am sure I will sort it out soon!)

Here we go then..chapter 1.......................Here are some pictures of the Fuselage consruction.

ly1.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

I built the fuselage some time ago and I apologies for not having detailed pics .The plans I used (got from the internet......real crap ones.should have got better ones,and later on in the build I payed for it as you will see :angry: )...anyway the plans were placed on a cork board and the balsa strips were pinned and glued over the plans untill dry....I'm sure you know how its done!!

ly3.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

ly4.jpg

I started with the Formers ,glued the Longerons in place and this pic you can see the Stringers in place

Edited by Fozzy

ly5.jpg

Heres another angle of the construction

ly9.jpg

In this shot you can see the cockpit area

Edited by Fozzy

Just to let you all know that all of this was done some time ago and I'm posting all of this untill I catch up with myself!.

I now had to tackle the front end of the Lysander which in the real aircraft is metal skinned.This was replicated by blocks of Balsa wood glued in between the front formers and then hand sanded down to the shape of the Fuselage.In this next picture you can see that I have done this as well as adding another piece of Balsa above it and sanded to shape

ly10.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

Here's another angle....the white top piece you see is simply a piece of card paper stretched over the pre prepared frame work of Balsa

ly11.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

These next 2 pics you can see some type of finish on the sufaces that I have applied.The system I use is .........

1. First paste on with a brush diluted PVC glue and let dry.Repeat this proceedure 3 to 4 times.

2.Spray the area with undercoat.I use Humbrol 64.

3. Spray on 3 to 4 coats of Johnsons Klear.....or any sealant coat.

This will hopefully seal the wood or card ready for painting later.....or not! :weep:

ly16.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

Dude, you are seriously mental :mental:

Excellent work :clap2:

Jamie

Well, he'll fit in well round here then, won't he!

Great work and, :post1: but :trolls:

Martin

ly15.jpg

I don't know why photobucket keeps on deleating my photos ....will fix tomorrow!!

Edited by Fozzy

Well, he'll fit in well round here then, won't he!

Great work and, :post1: but :trolls:

Martin

Yes your right ...I'm just as mad as you guys.....well I will be by the time I have finished this build :banghead:

Hi Fozzy,

looking at rib cage and process ur going through, i must ask u do u work at aircraft building/ engineer????. very nice start.

Cheers,

rishi

Engineer?....I wish!!then maybe I wouldnt have so many probs putting it together!!.....No I'm retired Rishi,but have worked in many a hanger as I used to be in the Army air Corps as a Aircrewman!

Cheers to Jamie and Mish

Fozzy

So now I had to tackle the tail unit.I decided to make it out of solid Balsa.A block was put on the plans over the tail and then cut to shape.Then it was a case of sanding down to shape.Once I had done that then it was glued into position and the area beneath the tail was then skinned with paper card.When I completed gently marking out panel lines I then gave the whole unit the PVC treatmaent as described before..............I presume you understand all this? because i dont!!..........anyhow heres a pic

ly19.jpg

So now I had to tackle the tail unit.I decided to make it out of solid Balsa.A block was put on the plans over the tail and then cut to shape.Then it was a case of sanding down to shape.Once I had done that then it was glued into position and the area beneath the tail was then skinned with paper card.When I completed gently marking out panel lines I then gave the whole unit the PVC treatmaent as described before..............I presume you understand all this? because i dont!!..........anyhow heres a pic

ly19.jpg

COOL !!1

I dont understand either but it looks COOL!!! :tomato: