Spitfire seat belts( for Mk VIII)

Tom R

Hello - What type of seat belts are right for the new Tamiya Spitfire Mark VIII. I have the Eduard set 32-088 and I can't work out wheteher it has the Q type and Sutton type or both.

I am thinking being 1944 it should be the Q but only Spitfire VIII I have seen had completely different - maybe these are restored with completely different seat belts.

Are there good pictures of Q harness anywhere? Thanks - Tom

According to Edgar, all wartime Spitfires were fitted with a Sutton harness, the Q harness only being introduced post-war. Perhaps he will confirm with dates ?

The Sutton harness was used throughout the war. There was a "QK" harness, but it was still a Sutton. The only aircraft, that I've found, which used a box-type harness release, was the Tempest, and it was so innovative that it gets a mention in the Pilot's Notes. The "QS" harness (which did have a parachute-style release box) was not fitted to any Mark of Spitfire until post-war.

Much has been made, in some circles, about the VII, in an American museum, which has (or appears to have) a "Q" harness, but this ignores the possibility that an airframe, earmarked to be used in America, by American pilots, might have been fitted with a harness, to which they would be more accustomed. So far, I've found copies of the Inspection Schedule, for the VIII, IX, XII, XIV, all for late 1944, or early 1945, and they all call for the pin and triangle, on the harness, to be inspected for distortion and cracking; this cannot apply to the later harness. Modification leaflets, detailing how to replace the Sutton harness with the "QS," are all dated post-May, 1945.

Likewise, one photograph, of the "Y" strap feeding through the handhold in the backrest, has led to the pronouncement being made, that all Spitfire harnesses were mounted in the same way; for this to happen, the seat had to be specially strengthened, and did not apply to any Mark up to, and including, the VI. So far, I cannot find any reference to the stronger seat being introduced before September, 1944. I believe that it was forced by changes to the mounting of Seafire (from the II onwards) seat, but haven't found absolute proof.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 2

Sorry, missed out one (fairly important) bit; the Sutton's straps were numbered 1-4, at the ends, and the order was important.

It went as follows:- 1 (which had the pin fixed to it) over the left shoulder, 2 over the right thigh, 3 over the left thigh, 4 (to which the triangle was attached via a piece of thin cord) over the right shoulder.

Edgar

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Perhaps I can point out (and I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned [somewhere] before,) there was a parachute-type harness, known as the "QL," used on the low-back XVI. It would have remained in the usual tan colour, and had a fairly thin "box." It was also usual for the box to be attached to the right hip (not thigh) strap, with the other three (none of which went down behind the seat) clipping into them.