Tim's Phoenix

Opening my thread. This kit cost me £9.99 on 24 May 2000 from Chelt Model Centre. It was labeled at £17.50 - so bargain!

After languishing in my stash for 10 years the plan (currently) is build this one as boxart.

AA_Buccaneer001.jpg

Some of the bags are unopened - but I did 'borrow' the crew figures to put into some Sea Harriers, so they won't be OOB.

AA_Buccaneer002.jpg

I have a resin set of slipper tanks in the RAF equivalent kit - so those will be explored. Other than that, this project will be as close to OOB (no further spend) as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling anyone who has built this kit before.

How much headroom do the pilot figures have - and which seat offers greatest headroom?

The reason I ask is that one of my crew figures (from the spares box) is bigger than the other - possibly from a Lightning.

I'm concerned that I might not be able to get the canopy down on top of him.

i have the 2 kit figures spare if you need them

Thanks for the offer - I'll decline for the time being. I've just reduced that pilot's upper body height - with a file. Looks like he will fit now.

The pilots have absconded :shithappens: from my RAF Buccaneer kit - probably to a Jag and 2 seat Lightning that I built :pilot: .

Pictures of my chairs, with pilots and harnesses by the weekend :coolio: .

Has anyone actually built this kit with crew figures?

I just can't get it to fit together.

Here's the upper fuselage:

Buccaneer_Cockpit002.jpg

And the cockpit:

Buccaneer_Cockpit001.jpg

As you can see I've detached the rear seat instruments from the bulkhead and fitted them to the coaming. Wouldn't go together otherwise.

Did the same with the front instruments - otherwise they're close to the pilot's ankles. Does that sound right.

The crew figures are well and truly getting in the way - and severe amputations have taken place.

Also does this model require nose ballast?

Any help appreciated.

Cockpit now shoved in - until it looks about right. The underfuselage still fits as well.

BuccaneerCockpit001.jpg

It's sort of floating there with superglue where it does touch the fuselage sides, and masking tape elsewhere.

And none of them touches the canopy either!

BuccaneerCockpit002.jpg

I cant find the thread that Mark is talking about, I know it exists as I used it to help me.

Basically you have to do it in sections, glue from the nose to intakes first, let that dry, then the rear fuselage to exhaust's then the wings.

hope this helps

Brenden

Looking good! Everything seems to fit just fine - I have never built one with an occupied cockpit. It is nice to see you pull it off as I want to do one someday. Will you be building this with the wheels up? - Jack

Jonathan's thread on Bucc building has another disciple - mine is being stuck together in exactly the same way.

To save you watching several sameish posts - with clamps and tape in different places, I'll show you where my 1/48 pilots have gone.

Three went into Sea Harrier FA2s (two for Harrier SIG project 899 build in 2003, and I still have this one). They need face masks in flight mode.

Airfix_SeaHarrierFA2.jpg

another went into this Sea Harrier FRS1 - again for the face mask excuse.

Airfix_SHARs.jpg

Of the displaced SHAR pilots - one went into this Jaguar, for the Jag GB in 2008.

AA_Jaguar-8.jpg

Another is instructing in this Lightning trainer.

AA_Lightning007.jpg

The others are missing - but possibly in these Lightnings.

Airfix_Lightning_F31.jpg

Airfix_Lightning_F61.jpg

or stashed away in a Hasegawa Harrier GR7, or Airfix Harrier GR3 kits.

From somewhere that I don't remember, 2 pilots with masks were obtained for this Phantom.

AA_F4J001-7.jpg

When I build my RAF Buccaneer kit - I won't be using pilot figures.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon