WNW 1/32 Albatros DVa

T-Tango

Salutaions from the Western Front, the Albatros kit has finally arrived, it is up to the usual exceptional WNW standard, I just hope that I can do it justice, obligatory box shot, plus a linkie to the WNW site for shots of the sprues, decals and massive instruction book (26 pages).

alb01.jpg

WNW Linkie

Right on with some plastic tickling.

Cheers me dears

Baron Pete von Buildingakaiserkraft

Hi Rosco, I didn't pay charges and the kit was despatched on the 2nd August 10, it arrived this morning, so 15 days.

I hate to think what price the Gotha will be, we are probably looking at a price around the Airfix 1/24 Mossie price.

Have fun with this one,

really enjoyed building mine! Its a beautiful kit.

Just take it slow and im sure you'll do it justice :D

I'll give it a go, I'm sure this will be the first of quite a few Albie's, there are so many really colourful schemes going that they present quite a challenge.

Hi Tango,I've just bought one of these,so will be following your build with interest,the wood stuff looking good.

Unfortunately I got stung by ParcelFarce,the customs duty was £9.27,and PF wanted to charge me £8.00 handling fees,there is a higher fee of around £13.00 for delivery next day. :angrysoapbox.sml: OK,don't mind the customs charge,but PF's handling charges are highway robbery.

Dave.

Hi Tango,I've just bought one of these,so will be following your build with interest,the wood stuff looking good.

Unfortunately I got stung by ParcelFarce,the customs duty was £9.27,and PF wanted to charge me £8.00 handling fees,there is a higher fee of around £13.00 for delivery next day. :angrysoapbox.sml: OK,don't mind the customs charge,but PF's handling charges are highway robbery.

Dave.

Hi Dave, IIRC from previous posts regarding WNW kits and Parcelfarce, you have to pay the customs duty, but you dont have to pay the handling charge as they are effectively holding the Royal Mail to ransom so withholding delivery, which is illegal and people who have challenged this didn't have to pay the handling charge.

Hi Mish, go for it my love, get one you'll really enjoy it.

Yes,had a right palava with PF over paying the VAT,they stated that I would have to pay the complete charge as their system couldn't accept part payment of just the customs fee.They delivered and I handed a cheque over for the VAT,and still not paid PF's 'handling' charge from 2 months ago.I threw the legal bit at them,and also,if you pay postal charges,surely this should cover all their costs.Ah well,its here now and what a beauty it is,want a whole Jasta now.I have a friend whose sister lives in NZ,perhaps I can cajole her into bringing over a suitcase full next time she visits,Lol!

:thumbsup: ........Dave.

Yes,had a right palava with PF over paying the VAT,they stated that I would have to pay the complete charge as their system couldn't accept part payment of just the customs fee.They delivered and I handed a cheque over for the VAT,and still not paid PF's 'handling' charge from 2 months ago.I threw the legal bit at them,and also,if you pay postal charges,surely this should cover all their costs.Ah well,its here now and what a beauty it is,want a whole Jasta now.I have a friend whose sister lives in NZ,perhaps I can cajole her into bringing over a suitcase full next time she visits,Lol!

:thumbsup: ........Dave.

Glad you've got the kit OK Dave, now no messing about, get on and build it. :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

(shaking head).... and people in the US complain about being nickel & dimed to death with taxes. They have no clue how good they have it in the US. We have no VAT (although IMHO we should), and I've never once been required to pay anything upon receipt of a package of model goodies from abroad, no matter what the declared value.

Anyway, the D.Va is looking good. Mine's still at the top of my "after I graduate" pile of to-be-dones. What a loverly kit, eh?

J

Afternoon all, salutations from the Eastern side of the Western Front, the Albie progresses slowly but surely, boy, is there some detail in this baby, superb kit, however one word of warning, some of the parts are tres delicate so you have to go very carefully.

Anyways on with the update pics, any comments gratefully received.

alb03.jpg

alb04.jpg

alb05.jpg

alb06.jpg

Bye for now

Pete von Kaiserkiteprogressingslowly.

T-Tango,

Nice work! May I ask what you employed for the grain effect on the interior? (I'm still learning after a long absence from the hobby)

I recieved my DVa about 10 days ago, still marvelling over the quality.Awesome to say the very least.

As a matter of interest wrt the Customs, Duties, handling and Postal fees my experience (in Canada) was by and large very pleasant. My initial order went astray in the transit phase; I Emailed the folks at WNW and recieved intant help. They immediately dispatched a replacement order, informed me that should the original order arrive after all to consider it a "freebie", and I had my parcel in 5 days! (Also given the advantage of WNW's free shipping deal) Interestingly enough I paid zero on fees, unlike orders from the USA that are subject to Customs Charges despite a "Free Trade Agreement" being on the books.

All this to say that, despite the best efforts of the various bureaucracies, the folks at Wingnut Wings have certainly gained my respect and confidence regarding customer loyalty, not to mention the supurb quality of their products.

Show us more as your build progresses and all the Best.

Bishop

T-Tango,

Nice work! May I ask what you employed for the grain effect on the interior? (I'm still learning after a long absence from the hobby)

Bishop

Hi bishop, waiting to see you start your Albie build, as I said in my earlier post be careful as some of the parts are very delicate, for the wood grain effect, I spray an acrylic base coat of a very light Radome Tan, which is a light cream/beige colour, I then use Winsor & Newton oil paints, the colours I use are Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and Burnt Umber, you can then mix them together to get your desired wood colour, but for the interior of the Albie I just used Raw Sienna, apply it with a flat brush and get a good covering then using a clean flat brush start removing the paint in the direction you want the wood grain to go, after a couple of strokes clean off the brush on a piece of dry kitchen roll and keep brushing until you've achieved your desired effect, but you don't need to rush as the paint won't dry, next comes the really hard part, you have to leave it 4/5 days to dry thoroughly, this is where you need something else to get on with whilst its drying, when the oil paint is dry, you coat it with Klear/Future or your favourite gloss varnish, job done, simples. A small tip, put your oil paint on a wad of kitchen roll for about an hour before you start, this then soaks some of the oil out of the paint and speeds up the drying time. HTH

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

Nice work, my friend.

More!

BVB winkgrin.gif

Thanks Bobsie me ol' mate, stay tuned, more to come.

Pete

Edited by T-Tango

Boy, oh boy, the real tricky bit on this kit is getting all the internal bracing panels and engine mounts to line up so that you can get the fusilage halves together, they are a real nightmare, the slots in the fusilage halves are so precise and tight that you have to be 100% correct to get a fit, has anybody else who has built this kit had these problems? But I'm sure we will overcome.

Cheers

Pete von Icanfeelsomefillercomingon

Boy, oh boy, the real tricky bit on this kit is getting all the internal bracing panels and engine mounts to line up so that you can get the fusilage halves together, they are a real nightmare, the slots in the fusilage halves are so precise and tight that you have to be 100% correct to get a fit, has anybody else who has built this kit had these problems? But I'm sure we will overcome.

Cheers

Pete von Icanfeelsomefillercomingon

Hello Pete,

You're right about the tolerances on the bulkhead/slot fit.

:confused:

Keep going!

BVB

Hello Pete,

You're right about the tolerances on the bulkhead/slot fit.

:confused:

Keep going!

BVB

You're right there Bob me ol' mate, even after a couple of belts with a 14lb sledge-'ammer :fight: I've still finished up with about 1mm of filler from the engine mounts to the nose of the beast, ah well I'll just have to live with that.

Cheers for now

Pete.