Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkI - new mould - available at Airfix.com!

John

It isn't at Hannants? Someone else said that on ARC, but it is when I look.

My advice was that if you still have trouble, my local shop is Transport Models at Preston, and it's on the web. I got mine there last week. The more business Mark does, the better for me in the long run.....

You're not wrong!

I'm hoping that they add a new sprue with either a Vb or Vc wing plus the Rotol prop and larger oil cooler to do either of those two marks. The way it's split, it wouldn't be too difficult either.

I think Airfix may be ahead of you. Not only does the parts breakdown make it easy but, if you look inside the starboard fuselage half, there's a flashed-over locating hole for the Coffman starter bulge. So we should at least be in for a Mark II. And the sooner that Mark Vc abomination is consigned to the dustbin of history the better.

Maybe the bottom is about to drop out of the market for Tamiya Spitfire Vs as well as Is!

I think Airfix may be ahead of you. Not only does the parts breakdown make it easy but, if you look inside the starboard fuselage half, there's a flashed-over locating hole for the Coffman starter bulge. So we should at least be in for a Mark II. And the sooner that Mark Vc abomination is consigned to the dustbin of history the better.

Maybe the bottom is about to drop out of the market for Tamiya Spitfire Vs as well as Is!

I'll have another look for that hole. In addition, the way they've split the wing and radiator/oil cooler, I suspect a Va is also on the cards. Vc - I agree. That wing is vile. By the looks of it, Airfix may be working through the entire family. Personally, I'd like a late Griffon mark, preferably the 22/24 but I've be very happy with the F21!

As for the Tamiya Spitfires, at least 3 modellers that I know won't give them house room. Me, I think it's ideal Whif fodder.

Just had a thought - the Vb is due for rerelease. Perhaps it's really the Ia with a new wing? I'll get me coat...

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

I've bought 2 today, they look great, good helping of interior detail, looking forward to building them! Just got to finish my Italeri mkV's first :)

Actually, I can't seem to find ant Mk.Ia decals for my second one, anyone have any ideas? I thought there'd be plenty out there!

Modeldecal produced standard codes, serials and roundels - there hasn't been a great need for individual sets because almost every aircraft could be made from what was available. That said, there certainly have been available sets over the years, I'm a bit surprised to find that none are available now. Presumably you've gone through Hannants offerings, but have you tried Flightdecs?

http://flightdecs.ca/

Hello

Any hope that Airfix may consider to "rework" their MK IX in the future and offer us a kit as nice as this new Mk 1 ?

Tempestmk5

Nice thought: in terms of detail and moulding quality the new Airfix Spit I does knock all the Hornby-era releases up before it into a cocked hat, doesn't it? But I doubt whether it makes financial sense to junk nearly new moulds. And I'd rather they did a new Swordfish before having another bite at the Spit IX.

I think a new tool Blenheim is more likely, given that their current one has been retired and there's one on the airshow circuit.

Personally, I'd like them to do a new Mosquito in 72nd, which would be more financially viable given all the variations. Apart from armament options and floats, there's not really much you can do with a Swordfish.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

A new 1/72 Swordfish would fill a gap in the market - after all, we've had new ones in 1/48 and 1/32.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm going shopping on the way home - some lovely choccies for Mrs Obi-Jiff's birthday, and hopefully a nice new Airfix Spit I from the toyshop...

Obi-Jiff :fish:

a "big-up" here for those IPMS Hornchurch decals. Well worth having!

Agreed, take a look at my BoB builds I've used 2 of the options already, will end up using all except the Al Deere options I think. KL-B's are far too common!!!

Nick

Airfix have such a wide range that could do with updating, I think it would be difficult to choose. Both Blenheim and Swordfish would be excellent choices, but given the re-release of the awful(ly old) Gladiator, Yak 9, Stormavik etc, I don't think that kind of logic helps much. Looking at their choice of subject so far, I think we are more likely to see an Fw190, Stuka, P-51, or Mosquito, despite the fact that (apart perhaps from the P-51) all their current offerings for these are fairly satisfactory. Look for the most popular of subjects, regardless of the quality or what you or I would see as need.

I expect that we'll get more interesting subjects in a couple of years' time, after they've worked through the standards. Does a Swordfish count as a standard? Maybe.....

My point is that an awful lot of the stuff they're updating seems to be concurrent with what's currently flying - Spitfires, Hurricanes, Hawks, Nimrod and Sea Vixen and are there not both a MiG 15 and a Sabre doing the rounds too? A Spitfire PR.XIX is a pretty unusual choice for a new kit, isn't it? Sales of aircraft people have seen flying must rise amongst the traders at any given airshow and thus so must Airfix' profits.

Graham, you may be right about the Fw 190 though, given that their current kits are about the same vintage as the old Mk Ia and there's several flying in Europe.

In fact I am very pleased that Airfix released their Spitfire mk 1 in 2010 nearly just in time for the 70 aniversary of the BOB , and I am disapointed they did'nt released a really new Hurricane MK 1 .. These aircraft are truly heros for me .. also I think that the Spit mk IX would have deserved a better treatment considering that apart from the very hard to find Hasegawa model there are no other decent representation of this airplane ..

I like to combine my interest in History and my interest in aviation ..

We shall see in the future what Airfix will offer us ..

Patrice

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster - Registered a few days ago to bring up the hole for the starter bulge ready for a MKII, but was beaten to it before I was validated!

Please Airfix, after receiving the new MkI Spit in the post, let's have a nice new tool of the Beaufighter to this standard, and let the old one go quietly now - market is wide open for a new Beau considering Hasegawa's current prices and availability...

(Spit XIX isn't such an odd choice considering the popularity of the BBMF, and not having to rely on the more challenging MPM tool for young Jonny to complete his box set of BBMF fighters)

Edited by Deve

Well, I saw a Nimrod (or was it two?) at Duxford but I don't think Airfix are going to do one of those....oh, you mean one of those jet things? (Not knocking it, it paid the wages for my final years in the business.)

I thnk that's a good point re the Mk.XIX, but don't think that's the reason for the Sabre or MiG 15. It's also a bit of a stretch to include their Bf 110, no?

But let's get this back to the new Spitfire?