1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair 23 Sqn / 5 Servicing Unit RNZAF

The first one is done.

This is F4U-1D NZ5485 Kohimarama IX of No 5 Servicing unit/ No 23 Sqn RNZAF based at Emirau in the St Matthias Islands in August 1945.

Some Details

Kit: 1/48 Tamiya F4-1D

Decals: Aeromaster RNZAF in WW2

Paints: Base coat is Mr Color Gloss Sea Blue. But heavily weathered using various Mr Hobby Acrylics, Humbrol and Model master enamels

Clear coat: Mr Hobby Super Clear then Tamiya clear all thinned with Mr Color levelling thinners.

Flat coat is Testors Dullcoate.

Challenge with this one was to try and capture the beaten up/weathered look of these aircraft. I went about it as follows. After the base coat was applied I added fading and dark patches using Mr Hobby acrylics. Once happy with this I gave it 2 good coats with Mr Color Super clear.

Decals were then applied. These were probably the thickest decals I’ve ever used and I had lots of trouble getting them to settle down, despite using both Micro set/sol and Mr Mark softener products. In fact I damaged them in several places and the solvents caused some bubbling. I sanded the bubbles out and touched up the roundels with MM True blue. I was pretty happy with this save. An coat of Super clear followed, this caused a few more issues with the decals so I had do another few repairs

Once I was happy with the decaling I sealed it a couple of coats of Tamiya clear (as usual thinned with levelling thinners). A wash of Promodeller Dark dirt followed by a coat of Tamiya clear.

Once this set I post shaded using various mixtures of MM and Humbrol enamels. The beauty of this technique is that if you don’t like the results it’s easily removed with some enamel thinners (I use Mig thinners as its pretty weak). As usual I had to re do a few areas that U wasn’t happy with.

Once I had the look I was after I applied a couple of coats of dullcoate.I then proceeded do some paint chipping with a silver pencil along with various normal HB/2B, 2H and B pencils. Once this was done I use various pastel chalks, applied by brush to had shading, dark spot and to tone down the paint ships. Again this technique is pretty reversible if you don’t like the effects.

Finally everything was sealed with another coat of dullcoate.

If you got through that crap then thanks for reading. Here are some of the pictures

F4U-1D-50.jpg

F4U-1D-36.jpg

F4U-1D-63.jpg

F4U-1D-51.jpg

F4U-1D-46.jpg

F4U-1D-75.jpg

F4U-1D-74.jpg

F4U-1D-59.jpg

F4U-1D-60.jpg

F4U-1D-33.jpg

F4U-1D-30.jpg

F4U-1D-35.jpg

F4U-1D-77.jpg

F4U-1D-42.jpg

F4U-1D-38.jpg

F4U-1D-37.jpg

if you're still interested there are more Pictures at my photobucket pages

Calum

That is one really nice bird, seriously, well done!

I think you have captured the weather/sun beaten look quite well,

and not over the top too :speak_cool:

Look forward to your other one being posted.

Thanks for sharing

Alan