1/48 Messerscmitt 109E-4

Hi all,

This is the second WWII fighter I have ever done in this scale, which has made a rather nice change from all the jets I normally do! It's Airfix's new 1/48 version, pretty much OOB. I added radio wire and a new anchor point for this on the tail (I snapped mine off). Also, the rear section of one of the wingtips is scratch-built, again because I snapped it off (and the carpet monster ate it). The only other change I made was to hollow out the cannon muzzles a little.

I really couldn't resist the yellow nose, so it just had to be the E-4 for me! I know the canopy framing isn't quite right for an E-4, but I opted to try and minimise this by leaving the central frame lines unpainted, so that relative to the other frames it looks something more like it should. Anyway, enough dribble; some pictures!

4890577276_632712dd9a_z.jpg

4890577282_daac42c15b_z.jpg

4890577280_a631bb4acb_z.jpg

4890577286_d584ba06e0_z.jpg

4890577288_e683f54552_z.jpg

4890577280_a631bb4acb_z.jpg

Hope you like her. Comments welcome as always! :)

Thanks for the comments folk! For the most part, this was a really nice kit to build. As has been mentioned on here previously, the transfers aren't the world's best, and of course they omit the obviously necessary swastika on the tail. Thanks to AndyL for posting me some swastika spares to finish this one off. :)

The colours are mixed from Revell enamels. I'm quite pleased with how they came out, especially since I've not got previous experience of any of these Luftwaffe schemes!