AAC Wah-64D 1/48

This is the Hasegawa kit with Aires pit & the HIDAS lumps and bumps stolen from the Revell kit, the extra bits that are not provided are scratch built. Decals are a mix from both kits & although the Hasegawa ones were quite thick, they responded really well to Micro Sol & Set & just melted onto the model. Painted with Xtracolor X153 US Army Helo Drab mixed with some X816 British Army Khaki Drab to lighten her up slightly in some areas. Weathered using Pro Modeller Mud Brown weathering wash, not sure if ZJ228 has ever been to Afghanistan so didn't go too overboard with the dusty look.

Masking the canopy severance devices on the transparencies was a pain due to the rubbish Eduard Express paint masks that decided to lift whilst I was doing the priming so I ended up buying the newer Kabuki tape masks which worked a lot better, not a fun job though!

The crashworthy fuel tanks were a bit of an after though to fill the pylons until I can get my hands on some CVR7 rocket pods, they were just thrown together from two Revell Blackhawk Ferry tanks cut to size. I doubt they are accurate but they will do for now & give it a bit of a different look.

Oh & the aerial on the tail was fitted with a bristle from my Mk.I house brush so that when I accidently catch it, it just springs back into place. ;)

MyWAH64D016-1.jpg

DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4420.jpg

DSCF4515-1.jpg

DSCF4470.jpg

:cheers:

David

Lovely job, the safety tag and helmet detailing realy adds some character.

Thanks folks!

looks good, whats the kit like generally?

mrcooljules, the kit is excellent really, a lot of parts but detail & fit is great. Some of the smaller parts are a little on the chunky side, like grab handles etc but can easily be replaced with wire.

David

Whirlycopters not my thing but I appreciate the artistry....:whistle: very nice job

Ooh just noticed the Pilot's helmet on the map!!! nice touch!!!

Edited by timbo33

Dave,

Very nice stuff, looking over that it looks pretty much spot on. I like the RCEFS, and for a 'cut and paste' job they look very good. I haven't photographed '228 since early 2006, but it was with 9 Regiment just prior to their first Apache Afghan deployment so would imagine it's likely to have been out.

Gary

Wow fantastic finish using parts from 2 kits has gave you a brilliant model great job on the paint paint too

Russ

Thank you gentlemen. :cheers:

Very nice stuff, looking over that it looks pretty much spot on. I like the RCEFS, and for a 'cut and paste' job they look very good. I haven't photographed '228 since early 2006, but it was with 9 Regiment just prior to their first Apache Afghan deployment so would imagine it's likely to have been out.

Thanks for the info Gary. Not been able to find many pictures of zj228 at all, only 3 on airliners.net, one of them yours & a couple on Uk Apache Resource centre.

Do you know anything about the big letter K carried on the underside of a Herrick Apache I have seen somewhere?

David

Thank you gentlemen. :cheers:

Thanks for the info Gary. Not been able to find many pictures of zj228 at all, only 3 on airliners.net, one of them yours & a couple on Uk Apache Resource centre.

Do you know anything about the big letter K carried on the underside of a Herrick Apache I have seen somewhere?

David

Hi again David,

ZJ224 carries the code 'K' on the underside. I'm led to believe it was one of the two Apache's that landed at Jugroom Fort with the guys strapped to the side in January 2007. I cannot be certain, but my reasoning is on the thread below (post 31). The links are still active, including my shot of '224 in the hangar at Wattisham the very afternoon it was trucked back in from Herrick duties. I notice on airliners that some guys caught it on Sailsbury Plain only last month, still with the code on the underside. It now has MTADS, so has been through the upgrade programme.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...zj224&st=20

Overhead Wattisham last year.

IMG_0232.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Hi again David,

It's standard practise for deployed AAC Apaches to carry a code under the fuselage. I've been told the Dutch aircraft are also marked in a similar manner, although I've never seen a image to confirm it. Around the same time that '224 came back, '166 was showing 'I'. I have seen pics of 'B', 'A' and 'H' as well, serials unknown. I haven't seen a lot this year yet to pick up on any others.

Gary