The Tank Museum

ExRAF

Went last week, even with the extension the main museum is still crammed with exhibits , I was hoping they would generally open out the exhibits but they have used that large new extension for a few "special" items and a load of annoying visual displays that get in the way of photography. The other halls are still track to track with little space spare. Still a fantastic day out but "could do better" as my school reports used to say.

Tony

Edited by MASH4077

I was there last week and enjoyed the museum very much. The only gripe I had was in the modern hall as it has a cafeteria with tables and chairs which made access to the vehicles difficult. Also the lighting was'nt brilliant plus there were a lot of spare tables and chairs stacked behind the exhibits. Altogether though a very enjoyable day out and I wish I lived a lot nearer

• 10 months later...

Does anybody know what the large tower is for, is it open to the public and does it have a lift?

The museum looks a bit different to when I first visited in 1987 whilst on a course at Bovvy!!

Cheers

Tony O

Does anybody know what the large tower is for, is it open to the public and does it have a lift?

The museum looks a bit different to when I first visited in 1987 whilst on a course at Bovvy!!

Cheers

Tony O

Hi Tony

The tower is not open to the public, it is part of the recent refurbishment and is a commentary position for the arena displays. It replaces the old Conqueror hull that used to be beside the arena for commentary purposes.

Roger

• 6 months later...
All part of my two week break in July. Did I mention we are going to Alton,legoland Thorpe and Chessington.

Quick question

Do displays only run on specific dates? Will be there about 9/10 July.

I believe that a few vehicles have a run around on weekdays during the summer holidays, but there is a main event that is called the Tank fest and that is one big display in late june I think on a sat and sunday.... Entry includes museum access, and they have some model and militeria traders, Thats when they run the Tiger, Stug, Pz III, T 34 etc, and some modern kit, and usually a WW2 reenactment, Beltring in Kent is a good one its a whole week with camping, and tons of AFV's and trucks and jeeps etc of all nations and era's thats usually around the last week of July

The Land Warfare Hall at Duxford is excellent, but it's a bit of a haul from Dorset.

I could make The Shuttleworth Collection in just under 3 hours from Warminster so its not that far. Just get an early start.

When was the extension built?

I was there a few years ago and dont remember seeing this like that.

There is the Cobbaton Combat collection near Barnstaple in Devon, I visited there a couple of years ago and it was well worth the trip, and it's wonderful countryside around there too.

Chittlehampton

Umberleigh

N. Devon

EX37 9RZ

Phone 01769 540740

[email protected]

Tony

Edited by swordfish fairey

I could make The Shuttleworth Collection in just under 3 hours from Warminster so its not that far. Just get an early start.

Yeah, it's definitely "do-able", just that I meant it wasn't just round the corner.

From Bovington (or there-abouts), I would suspect the best route would be... Southampton, M3, M25, M11. Duxford (as most people are aware) is right on top of M11 Junc 10.

When was the extension built?

I was there a few years ago and dont remember seeing this like that.

The Land Warfare Hall has been there for years now... Early 90's I think.