Spitfire FR18 - Academy's 1/48th bloater on a diet

Oh, one more thing I just noticed...the air intake seems to be gaping too much...? Could you use an Airfix kit part instead?

Overall I like what you've done to make the FR.18 look lean and mean rather than the overweight Academy rendering.

Jens

Oh, one more thing I just noticed...the air intake seems to be gaping too much...? Could you use an Airfix kit part instead?

Overall I like what you've done to make the FR.18 look lean and mean rather than the overweight Academy rendering.

Jens

Hmm - you know what - I hadnt noticed that, but I did have a niggly feeeling something wasnt quite right.! It might be easier than that actually. bear with me :)

Jonners

One thing though - the rocker covers are not correct as they should dip down (seen from head on or acrossection) as you move towards the spinner. The conversion has the fuselage moulded in one piece, and to extract the parts from the mould tool, these were moulded flat on top. Have a look at pics taken from above, and you will spot it.

Jens

Care with this Jon as I think the cam covers are flat on top although from front to back they will slope in relationship to thrustline. Looked at some drawings and all seem different but the covers must remain flat on top in relation to the Griffon cam covers. These must be flat on the engine to give clearance to valves and cams from front to back. If the engine/ thrustline is tilted slightly forwards-probably- then so will the cam covers. Either way they will be flat on top and parallel to exhaust line until the front curved radius begins-phew.

From above (plan view) the outside edges will surely be parallel to match the engine.

Photo may help

1490188-1.jpg

HTH

Groucho

Edited by GrouchoMark2

hello all, right as things had slowed up , I deceide enough was enough and got the trusty pre-columbian out. Camo is aribrushed using Tamiya acylics, the MSG is there new shade for the Spit models and looks pretty good, if perhaps a tad dark ( but then its always darker than you imagine)

The dark earth and light sea grey are mixed by eye till I though they looked OK but bright, the reason being I'm going to knock them back during the weathering process, so I wanted bit of extra saturation to them. PS dont equate the colour sin the book the model rests on as accurate either - the printing of camo colours in these profiles isnt very good - very flat and overly grey.

I think my underfusleage camera windows are too big too. Oh well.

Wing leading edge yellow bands were masked up and painted white as an undercoat then yellow. Top tip for masking these areas, use the wing leading edge as a template to cut a peice of masking tape that exactly follows the curve. Worked a treat!

Next this afternoon some weathering....

cheers

Jonners

spit18topcamo2.jpg

spit18topcamo1.jpg

spit18MSGUS.jpg

Look at the overspray on the book

Yep - sacrilidge I know!! The 2 camo tones printed in the book are so dull and close to each other I had to outline them with a pencil, and then spray outside in bright sunlight to see them - hence the model was sprayed on the book, and hence its unexpected visit to see the concrete too!!

cheers

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya all. So things have moved on a little. Paint shceme was weather using oils ( mainly Abteilung 502 faded grey but with bits of white, umbre, blue) this was then streaked over using a flat brush dampened with spirit, and then fan out using another soft brush to blend. I left that to dry for a couple of days and then added some chalk pastel, again fanned in using flat dry brush. Paint was then glossed using Quick Shine acrylic floor wax, and decals applied. Once these had dried I repeated the weathering process over them using the same techniques - to tone them in a little.

The Model Alliance decals are thin, but the white is translucent, and IMHO the reds and blues just too pale and bright ( even for post war bright insignia colours) so I replaced roundels and fin flashes with ones from the Academy kit, and the T code was cut from strips of solid white decal sheet. The MA decals were also a little out of register - so using the Academy decals removed this too. Alas I had to go with the Squadron crest from the MA sheet, which is a 3 part job, but hopefully the white mis-register on the bottom most part doesnt show up too much.

Once its is dry I will applying some further weathering using very translucent airbrushed coats of pale tans and grey greens.

spit18weather1.jpg

spit18weather2.jpg

spit18weather3.jpg

Prop is now painted and decalled too. So, we are getting there!

cheers

Jonners

You slimmed that down quite nicely. I must say I rather like the Mk 18 as it gives an opportunity to produce an unusual colour scheme. I've gort a Falcon vac formed kit in the stash. looking at what you have done I think that I have the much easier option for an accurate Mk 18.

• 1 month later...