Spitfire FR18 - Academy's 1/48th bloater on a diet

HI all, so what do you do when you want to build a Spitfire mk 18 in 1.48th scale??

Well you can use Aeroclubs conversion set, or assuming you have a 2 stage griffon fuselage left over from their Mk 21 conversion, you can graft it onto Academeys model, and in process you can slim down the overly deep fuselage and wings on that model, to make a better looking Spitfire.

In case you are wondering, I used the high back spine and tail from the Mk 21 conversion and grafted it onto the Airfix mk22/24 to make my Mk 21, which left me with the nose and lower mid fuselage.

So....

Aeroclub nose and academy tail area mate together using panel lines and the wing fillet as joins:

mk184.jpg

The upper rear decking of the Academy area aslo needs cutting down, as it shows itself to be about 2mm too high when compared to Aeruclubs front ( and I know who I trust out of John Adams and Academy!) You can see the join running along the top rear decking above the camera aperture.

Note also the fillet to the forward wing / fuslage join to fill a discrepancy in wing join shapes, and the small blocks of card to act as ledges for the upper wing to sit on.

mk185.jpg

Here's the lower wing showing the fill in needed for the rear fuselage, this is because I kept the Aeroclub wing fillets, which are a nicer shape, but means you cut a bit more from the Academy rear lower fusleage.

The Academy wing fits the Aeroclub fuselage very well, but the wing itself is far to thick, so the inside edges of the wings are sanded down to reduce the depth:

mk182.jpg

The blocks attached to the fuselage are used to ensure the wing top fits flush with the aeroclub area, eliminating any steps.

Finally - the Academy rudder is modified to represent the broader chord Mk 18 version with the deeper horn balance:

mk183.jpg

And with a bit of tape - heres where I'm at:

mk186.jpg

Cheers

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Righty ho - been rebuilding the cockpit. The Adademy kit has some nice details, but the rear bulkhead wont fit now cus I've reduced the depth of the fuselage.

So its out with the plastic card and wire time. I must stress this is in no way meant to be a perfect Spit cockpit - its more of an homage :) But it should look suitably busy and Spitfire-like.

mk18pitstbd.jpg

mk18pitport.jpg

mk18frames.jpg

I've also made a new firewall to go forward of the Aeroclub instrument , and I've fashioned some fill in panels to install in the lower pit so you dont see into the wingroot fairings too....

mk18rudder.jpg

You can see them here with the MK 18 broader chord rudder, which has now been detailed form its first pic in post no1. The kinked trim tab has been added with actuator, and the ribbing re-done using thin strips of plastic card, rubbed down and smoothed in with some thick Mr Srfacer 500 gloop from the bottom of the bottle ( so its perhaps Mr Surfacer 125!), this was then all rubbed down to give a subtle finish.

Hopefully I might get some paint on this afternoon.

Cheers

Jonners

Painting the cockpit - really adds some life. The idea is that the colours are a bit hightened so when the rather gloomy Spit-pit is all buttoned up - they will add a bit of zing!

spit18portpainted.jpg

spit18stbdpainted.jpg

spit18bulkpainted.jpg

The instrument panel is just undercoated - going to go 'old school' here and use a needle to scrtachin the dials

Heres a shot of the wing roots - this should all fit nicely now - returning the Academy spit wings to a proper Spitfire like thinness!

spit18wingroot.jpg

And finally this evening - a quick tape together reveal the muscular slimness of the MK 18. Sexy or what ( or should I take another dose of the medicine?)

spit18taped.jpg

Looking good! You have bucket loads more patience than me.

Have you decided on a scheme yet? Wotabout Palestine 1947 (81? Sqn........)

Trevor

208 Sqn Palestine in the dark earth/light slate grey over medium sea grey scheme. Tasty. The scheme was the reason for the build - it will go with my Tempest VI to make a matching pair.

Cheers

Jonners

Thanks Mish - really into this one. The mark 18 is one of my faves, so I'm aiming to do it some justice.

Looks good so far fella. Lots of cut-and-shut goodness :)

Cut-and-Shut goodness...yeah!!! This is PROPER modelling - Kit bashing at its best, an art that seems to be on the wane!!

Lets DO it proper!" . Yep I'm all for that!!

And actually no harder than prepering a resin part for a conversion anyway. In some ways easier, as its far easier when you are mating plastic to plastic. It is however always nice when the 2 kits you are combining broady fit, for instance the Academy wing chord matches the Aeorclub wing root chord almost exactly - so that prevents a lot of work in 1 major area.( depth wise its a different story of course)

For me, its also a big heap of FUN!! which is what the hobby's meant to be about ultimately.

Thanks for all the positive comments eveyone!

Jonners

[edited for rubbish spelling]

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

And actually no harder than prepering a resin part for a conversion anyway. In some ways easier, as its far easier when you are mating plastic to plastic. It is however always nice when the 2 kits you are combining broady fit, for instance the Academy wing chord matches the Aeorclub wing root chord almost exactly - so that prevents a lot of work in 1 major area.( depth wis eits a differnt story ot course)

For me, its also a big heap of FUN!! which is what the hobby's meant to be about ultimately.

Thanks for all the positive comments eveyone!

Jonners

Its also more satisfying!!

Cross-kitting!! Chopping a nose of one kit adding it to another' Using the parts left over and graft it onto another kit.....

Modelling HEAVEN!!! And of course the Spitfire lends itself so well to this, as does the Meteor......but thats another story!!!

keep up the good work Jonners!!!

bottom, bottom and double bottom. Just discovered I broke the rudder pedals off while painting the IP. I will need to replace them in the morning now.

Axemonster, the carpet God has devoured them. I shall regard it as an offering for a trouble free build ( yeah right - I'm well wee weed off, where can I buy carpetcide?)

Grrr,,, why I oughta...

Jonners, new found fan of lino

fortunately I found the Aeroclub rudder pedals, so all was well!!

I bit more early morning work , and the pit is now finshed. The shoulder straps arent glued in palce yet - hence their springy sit. But this is essentially it for the cockpit.

spit18pitfin1.jpg

spit18pitfin2.jpg

Fuselage has now been glued, so all I need to add are the lower sidewall in fill peices.

Happy days

Jonners