FineMolds 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Well i really never thought that i would be building another one of these. These kits are so rare and expensive nowadays. Luckily i am thanks to Ian at Heritage.

I am going to be lighting this and basically trying to make it the best one i have built so far. I already have a built one at my Parents house in Devon so this one will be for my home.

I have started with the engine lights. Ive tried many ways of lighting this in the past but none ever really worked that great. Normal LEDs give hot spots of lights. I need a solid glow. I have also used Electroluminescent sheet which worked well but had an annoying hum from the invertor. This time i have used wide angle LEDs. I have not used these before but they are great. Heres a shot of them in situe. Ignore my wiring. I should have made a circuit board but i didnt have the stuff , i also didnt have the thinest of wire either but nevermind. It will all be hidden anyway.

DSC05365.jpg

Here they are lit up.

DSC05366.jpg

Add a thin piece of plasticard and the grill and it looks exactly as i planned.

DSC05368.jpg

I have also made a start on the cockpit rear bulkhead. I needed to get an overall random pattern. I have drilled lots of holes ready for the fibre optics. Hopefully i can get this painted and the fibres fitted today. Heres how it looks against the light

DSC05371.jpg

Thats it for now , more later....

I have made a good start on the cockpit today. Added the fibre optics and i also drilled though C-3POs eyes and added fibre optics. I havent painted the ends of the fibres yet so the lights are all white at the moment. I still need to add more to the center console yet.

DSC05382.jpg

DSC05388.jpg

Here is the LED switched on.

DSC05387.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

Ignore the naff painting its all just rough at the moment

Edited by gunpowder17

Hahahahaaa oddly enough when I saw it for sale, I though Gunpowder 17 "I must resist..... I must resist...... I must resist"

Obviously the force is not strong in you little Padawan...................... :P

Hahahahaaa oddly enough when I saw it for sale, I though Gunpowder 17 "I must resist..... I must resist...... I must resist"

Obviously the force is not strong in you little Padawan...................... :P

No its not! Im crap when it comes to the Falcon!

Anyway , cockpit is nearly finished, I just need to add Leia. Im pleased with the results. One thing is for sure , im sold on the wide angle LEDs. I painted the ends of the fibre optics with glass paint. Much better than having 3 different colour LEDs.

DSC05390.jpg

DSC05392.jpg

I suppose you want to see it with the lights on? Oh OK then!

DSC05400.jpg

cool i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com! :speak_cool:

One of the best mods that can be made to this kit is to cut out the notches in the armour. Takes a little bit of time but its well worth it.

Here it is before

DSC05414.jpg

And after

DSC05413.jpg

The undercarriage can be posed both up and down. Heres the built undercarriage legs

DSC05411.jpg

Im still not sure on how im going to proceed. I was going to make 3 switches to turn on the cockpit , engine and gunwell/landing lights. I may just use 1 switch to put them all on at once.

Heres some of the miscellanious parts that i have built too.

DSC05412.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the latest. I spent the odd hour adding parts while i was away along with filling the sink mark around the edge. The ntches have also been finished now too. Heres the phots of the parts added. Theres lots of TINY parts in this kit!

DSC05447.jpg

DSC05450.jpg

DSC05449.jpg

DSC05448.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

I thought it may be worth adding this photo of the rear deck before anything is added. Look at all of those holes for parts top be added!

DSC05451.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...