Airfix 1/72 BAe Hawk T.Mk.1

Now thats a really different and effective take on an old subject. I'm really taken with it.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Okay, I'm back ! (Where did the week go ?)

Thanks once again for all of your comments - much appreciated

Thought I'd get the party trick shots out of the way before I answer any of the questions. (Stand by to b e disappointed...)

The model is mounted in such a way that it can rotate around the smoke axis. (Barrel-roll anyone ?)

1-1.jpg2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg4-1.jpg

Really pleased with the way it came out - thanks to the club-mates for applying peer pressure - I may actually get to build a SAAF Cheetah if you don't watch out !

:whistle:

Edited by mitchem

....how did you find the decals?

I've had nothing but hell with mine.

Chris

Decals were not good Chris. I was lucky enough to melt the cockpit canopy with a hair-dryer (don't ask) so I had to get another Hawk, and full use was made with the second set of decals. The carrier film was extensive, they didn't come away from the backing sheet easily, and when they did, they often split. Fortunately, the white was opaque enough to cover the red and I think I'm pretty good at matching bits and pieces of decals and joining them together on curved surfaces.

mike

those highlighted panel lines are spot on. What shade did you use?

No shading on the panel lines andy - just natural shade !

The panel lines on the kit are really deep and wide in spite of my best attempts to fill them with Humbrol 174 and countless layers of Klear !

Wow, you have raised the bar with Red Arrows inflight displays. The model and base are excellent. I like the 'shadow' under the aircraft! :thumbsup:

How did you do the base, some creative spraying? or knocked something up on the computer?

:cheers:

Thanks Ray,

The base and back-plate were made out of precut perspex, while the runway and name plate were computer-generated.

With regards to the runway, here's a brief overview :

- Pick an airfield - Scampton for example

- Find it on Google maps and click on the satellite image :

a.jpg

- Zoom in on a piece of runway :

b.jpg

- Copy the image into a photo-editing suite (I use Photoshop, but there are others available)

c.jpg

- Rotate the image so that the runway section is horizontal (makes it easier to work with methinks)

d.jpg

- Trim the runway section down to about the size you want it (you may have to increase / decrease the image size) :

e.jpg

..and then take your final image :

f.jpg

...and apply the motion blur tool :

g.jpg

- Print it out (I used photographic paper) - Trim it to size and stick it down on the perspex base - Job done.

Now all I have to do is resist Italeri's Frecce Tricolori model set !!!

Not only have you shown a really good tip for blurred runways, you have actually pointed out how get reproduce realistic tarmac bases full stop. No need to buy anything from Verlinden, etc. again to represent aprons, taxiways, etc. Just use google! BRILLIANT! ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT! THANKS! (Why did I never think of that?) I am sure photoshop can sharpen up the image.

Thought I'd get the party trick shots out of the way before I answer any of the questions. (Stand by to b e disappointed...)

How could anyone be disappointed?! :clap2: I could play with that for hours...(Yeh I know simple things for simple minds....!!!)

- I may actually get to build a SAAF Cheetah if you don't watch out !

:whistle:

I do hope that that's a threat Michael ..... :tease: Sooner rather than later please!! :P:D

Keef

PS - seconded about the Google tip - I hadn't thought to ask how you'd actually done the runway (too busy barrel rolling the Hawk, I suppose. ... :rolleyes: )