Carburys Spitfire

carbury.jpg

F/Lt. Brian John George Carbury

603 Sqn RAF

A former shoe salesman, Brian Carbury left his Auckland home in 1937 and headed for England with the intention of joining the Royal Navy.

Having been turned down by the RN for being too old, he applied and was excepted for a short service commision in the RAF.

After completing flight training, he joined 41 Sqn flying Hawker Furies, in July 1938.

Just over a year later, he was attached to 603 Sqn, which was stationed near Edinburgh.

Carbury was to assist with Spitfire training.

His temporary attachment became permanent in September 1939. His first aerial success came shortly after.

On 7th December 1939 Carbury got a probabal He-111 and claimed a third share of another in January 1940.

After a comparatively uneventful seven months, 603 Sqn moved south on the 27th August. Two days later, he shot down his first 109.

He got another the following day ( the 30th) and on the 31st he destroyed 2 He-111s and 3 more 109s.

After downing 3 more 109s during September, he was awarded the DFC.

During October, 4 more 109s fell and a Ju-88 damaged. Towards the end of the month he was awarded a Bar to the DFC.

December saw 603 Sqn return to Scotland. On Christmas day he was scrambled to intercept a Ju-88 reported off St.Abbs Head. The Junkers was attacked and turned away damaged.

Early in 1941, he was posted to become an instructor and he didn't fly operationally again.

He stayed in England after leaving the RAF and passed away in July 1962.

p103.jpg

For a long while, I've wanted to build two aircraft representing opponents from a single engagement, that took part during the Battle of Britain.

This task was made much easier when I found out about the decal sheet released by the Southern Expo team, commemorating the 70th anniversary of the battle. It features RAF aircraft which were stationed at Hornchurch (where the annual expo is now held) and some of the Luftwaffe aircraft they faced.

So, I'm planning this to be the first of a two part build.

I'm going to build F/Lt. Brian Carburys Spitfire Mk.1a R6835 using the Tamiya kit and a Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 Werk No 37712, flown by Fw Ernst Arnold of 3./JG27, using the new Airfix kit.

1.jpg

Originally, I was going to build this one as Brian Lanes aircraft. Thanks to Baggers (for the decals :thumbsup2: ) though, it'll now be Carburys. ( I will do Lanes at a later date).

I actually started this just over a week ago and was just going to post it in WIP, but after checking if it was eligible with Jase, I thought it was more appropriate to post it in here. :)

I'm using an Eduard Zoom set.

I've sanded the detail off the IP, and added most of the etched bits to the sidewalls and the armour plate behind the seat.

3.jpg

I'm not planning any sort of super detailed job, but I do want to spruce the cockpit up a bit, so I've also started adding some piping using lead wire.

4.jpg

I'm not gonna go over the top with this, just the most obvious stuff.

With what I have planned, I think the view into the pit will be a bit restricted anyway.

Edited by Smiffy

I had a double take aswell. I was expecting a purple Spitfire with about one and a half glasses of milk....

nice build project you have there. I like the research gone into this project.

Rowan

When I saw the title I was expecting to see a chocolate Spitfire :doh:
I had a double take aswell. I was expecting a purple Spitfire with about one and a half glasses of milk....

:fraidnot: A chocolate Spit would be totally impractical.

Alright, it'd be okay at altitude, where it's colder, but on the ground, in the bright summer sun...it'd melt all over the airfield.

Come on chaps. :rolleyes:

will you lot pipe down!

Silence! In Polish!

Looking good Smiffy. I like your biography of Brian Carbury and I look for ward to your build.

I am building the same kit with the same Eduard Zoom set but I think I've gone too far with it for the GB.

Phil.

Carbury had an interesting time after the battle, alledgedly he 'married the wrong sort of woman' and was later cashiered for passing dud cheques. A brave man and quite a shot by all accounts, he could and should have gone on to at least lead a Wing.

I built his Spit using the Airfix 1/48th MkIa and cobbled together the serials and codes.

Great painting, now I can build one of his victims. I wonder if Arnold machine was re-winged as the painting clearly shows the 20mm cannon or if it is a mistake by the artist?

Edited by Silver Fox
  • Like 1

:fraidnot: A chocolate Spit would be totally impractical.

Alright, it'd be okay at altitude, where it's colder, but on the ground, in the bright summer sun...it'd melt all over the airfield.

Not if I ate it first!

Carbury had an interesting time after the battle, alledgedly he 'married the wrong sort of woman' and was later cashiered for passing dud cheques. A brave man and quite a shot by all accounts, he could and should have gone on to at least lead a Wing.

Ahh, thanks for that. :thumbsup2: I tried finding post war info, but couldn't find much out there.

Agreed, I was quite surprised to find that his operational career had ended so early in the war.

It makes you wonder, if he had carried on flying combat, what his final tally would've been. :hmmm:

Great painting, now I can build one of his victims. I wonder if Arnold machine was re-winged as the painting clearly shows the 20mm cannon or if it is a mistake by the artist?

Hadn't noticed that actually. Truthfully, I've not done a lot of research on Arnold or his 109, yet.

The painting is by Mark Postlethwaite.

I found it whilst googling. ;)

If you look in the book ‘JagdWaffe (Luftwaffe Colours) Vol.2 Sect. 2 Battle of Britain Phase Two August - September 1940’ by Eric Mombeek, on page 170, there's a picture or 2 of Arnolds 109 after it was captured by the look of it. There does appear to be a hole large enough for cannons in the leading edge.

If you look in the book ‘JagdWaffe (Luftwaffe Colours) Vol.2 Sect. 2 Battle of Britain Phase Two August - September 1940’ by Eric Mombeek, on page 170, there's a picture or 2 of Arnolds 109 after it was captured by the look of it. There does appear to be a hole large enough for cannons in the leading edge.

I've just checked that reference, thanks for the heads up.

I wondered why they removed the cannon. It doesn't seem to have been the normal procedure judging by other photos in the same book. I also think the hole is to close to the fuselage, so I'm thinking that yellow 12 was machine gun armed after all.

Right, cockpit painting has begun (my favourite :D) .

I started off with a base coat of Tamiya White surface primer and after leaving it to dry for a couple of hours, I then mixed up the Cockpit Grey Green using Tamiya XF-71 lightened with flat white.

I then followed this with some shadowing, again using XF-71, darkened with some NATO Black.

That was left overnight and then this morning, I've gone back with a very thinned and lightened mix again, just to blend it all in a bit (and take the starkness down).

I'm gonna leave that for a while, probably give it a coat of Kleer and then I can start on some washes.

5.jpg

6.jpg

It does look VERY green in those pics :sick:, but in the flesh it's quite a light, muted tone.

Thanks for the heads up on that. :thumbsup2:

I've ordered parts one and two from Amazon. :)

I brushed a single coat of Kleer over all the cockpit parts and then left it overnight to dry.

This morning, I mixed up some wash, using raw umber oil paint with some Xtracolour Int Grey Green enamel (mmm, I love the smell of oil paint in the morning :) ).

This was then applied to all the nooks and crannies.

Once the thinner had evaporated, I took some cotton buds and removed all the excess paint.

Then I took a wide flat brush and blended it altogether.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Kind of hard to photograph the result, but I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.

Gonna have to leave this to dry for a couple of days now, then I can get on with the detail painting.

In the meantime, I've started the 109. :pilot:

I'll have to give that a go myself in the Future. Or is it Klear? :P

Maybe it'll all become Klear in the Future. :rolleyes:

Am now waiting for paint to dry on both this and the 109, so I'm gonna knock a couple of these chaps together.

9.jpg

Chocks away. :pilot: