Red Arrows - the missing link

OK, as someone else is doing a twin spitfire i have come up with a plan B

In 1969, during a tour of the US, the Red Arrows were invited to a reception jointly hosted by the USN Blue Angles and USAF Thunderbirds. Both of the US aerobatic teams had recently converted to the MDD F-4 Phantom and were singing its praises. The RAF contingent were slightly envious (to say the least) as they were still using the aging Gnat - inherited from the Yellow Jacks - allbeit in a nine aircraft formation.

On the return to the UK, the Red Arrows Team manager put a case to the AOC and, much to everyones surprise, the request was granted - ten ex-USN F-4J's were to be leased from the UK for the sole use of the team.

Gentleman, I give you the world's greatest aerobatic team flying probably the most impressive fighter of its time - The RED ARROWS PHANTOM...

Edited by brianthemodeller

Its amazing how good different planes look in this scheme. I saw a Phantom last year, it looked good, a unique shape, so it will be interesting to see how the reds scheme suits it.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the sprues for the Phantom, with a pen to give an idea of size..

DSCF2308.jpg

I've never built in 1/144 before so this could be interestig - it ain't 'alf small.

And so, progress to date (with a bit of help from Big Reg)...

DSCF2310.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

et voila, an F-4J!

More later

• 2 weeks later...

And then there were two...

DSCF2339.jpg

And here we have something roughly the same shape as an F-4J (well, ish, with a bit of filler and modellers licence, and short sighted judges - oh come on, it is a what-if!!)

DSCF2340.jpg

Right, out with the filler before I start spraying.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

OK, filled, primed and white gloss coat applied...

DSCF2421.jpg

blue stripes arew 1mm maskig tape that is really good fun to apply. Anyway, once done, red top coat applied and masking reoved..

DSCF2424.jpg

They are starting to look like Red Arrows now. While the paint dries fully I will sort out the decals and the base.

I had this dilema with the typhoon and i came to the conclusion that it will only look right red or white in the end i settled for red as i like the solid look of it.

i would do either

White nose cone and run a pin stripe to back behind the intakes in line with the other that will create a white arrow down the side and look rather cool.

or

Leave it red it looks fine

Russ

Thanks for the input guys.

I have found some white decal paper at home so am going to try a variation on Russ's idea. I will cut two long triangles to go from the intakes (where the white line stops) right through to the tip of the nose. That should break up the red and create an arrow. I will post some pics if it works!

While I'm at it, I need to print some roundels...

Brian

Thanks for the input guys.

I have found some white decal paper at home so am going to try a variation on Russ's idea. I will cut two long triangles to go from the intakes (where the white line stops) right through to the tip of the nose. That should break up the red and create an arrow. I will post some pics if it works!

While I'm at it, I need to print some roundels...

Brian

Thats not a bad idea then if your not keen on the look you can take them off before they set

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Finished!

Decided to leave the noses red as the white arrow heads didn't look right. So here they are, two 1/144 scale Red Arrows F-4 Phantoms in a vertical climb over Blackpool Tower and North Pier...

DSCF2435.jpg

DSCF2434copy.jpg

Not perfect by any means but I like them and they mark the end to a year of modellers block! Oh, sorry about the picture quality.

The clear rods are coffee stirrers from a hotel I use when I am in London with work. Clear acrylic rod is available on eBay though but that costs money and the stirrers are free!

get a stack of em next time your there id have some off you lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...